Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

hugo.jpg
As part of its 12 Days of Gifts promotion, Apple is making Martin Scorsese's Academy Award-winning film Hugo free for all iTunes users in the U.S. and Canada. International customers receive Chris Columbus' holiday classic Home Alone.

The movie is the most valuable gift that Apple has offered through the 12 Days of Gifts app, which will continue giving one gift per day through January 6th.

Users can get the movies either through the 12 Day of Gifts app, or by downloading the movie directly from the iTunes Store on their Mac, PC or iOS device. It's likely that the movie will be free for today only so users are encouraged to download the film without delay.

Hugo received significant critical acclaim, making a number of year-end top-ten lists for 2011. The film won five Oscars for Best Cinematography, Art Direction, Visual Effects, Sound Editing, and Sound Mixing, and was nominated for six more including Best Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Original Score, Costume Design, and Film Editing.
Welcome to a magical world of spectacular adventure! When wily and resourceful Hugo discovers a secret left by his father, he unlocks a mystery and embarks on a quest that will transform those around him and lead to a safe and loving place he can call home. Academy Award®-winning filmmaker Martin Scorsese invites you to experience a thrilling journey that critics are calling "the stuff that dreams are made of." *Peter Travers, ROLLING STONE
12 Days of Gifts is a universal app available for free in the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: '12 Days of Gifts' Gives Oscar-Winning Scorsese Film 'Hugo' Today in U.S. and Canada, 'Home Alone' Internationally

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Made the mistake of actually buying this movie when it was on sale for $6.99 a couple months ago. My kids hated it. Truth is Scorsese is the most overrated director of the last 50 years.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
I was going to say "cue the people whining about things being given away for free in 3... 2... 1...", but I'm already too late for that.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Made the mistake of actually buying this movie when it was on sale for $6.99 a couple months ago. My kids hated it. Truth is Scorsese is the most overrated director of the last 50 years.
No. You're wrong.

Not very fair for Apple to give America and ultimately better film. Shame on them.
Uh, other countries have had this app for years, and North America just got it for the first time. Deal with it.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
This is what makes me happy that i also have an US appleID, really a big difference in the gifts.
Oh well apple is apple and nothing will change there.
What did you guys get the last few days?

Edit: well I found the list. Thanks to Billybobbongo for a link to the list

Rossatron

macrumors 6502a
This is what makes me happy that i also have an US appleID, really a big difference in the gifts.
Oh well apple is apple and nothing will change there.
What did you guys get the last few days?

yep, seems like only the US get the good stuff :p so far, first day was a useless app, 2nd was some angry-birds racing game, 3rd day some sort of game for children and today kayak pro (which is the best one so far imo). can't say I'm excited about tomorrow's gift :rolleyes:

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
We get home alone on TV every ******** christmas. Waste of time and bandwith for downloading that movie.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Home alone is a pretty lousy remake…I much prefer the original by Edvard Munch.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Never heard of this movie that I can remember of anyway. I did download it this morning though when it popped up for free.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I was going to say "cue the people whining about things being given away for free in 3... 2... 1...", but I'm already too late for that.

I'm not bashing what has been chosen to be free. I have downloaded the free things as I like them and not as I don't or in this case already have. If I had not already bought this movie I would have taken the free download, only to watch it later and then find out how bad it was. And in actuality I wanted to like this movie and did some parts, but as usual Scorsese takes what could have been a good movie and ruins it.

And so no, I am not wrong. I have studied film, written critically about film, have a film degree, and know a lot about the entire history of film. And Scorsese is OVERRATEED!

Not whining about free stuff, just bashing a director who needs to stop making movies.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
It's likely that the movie will be free for today only so users are encouraged to download the film without delay.

You shouldn't have to download it today, just "purchase" it. Once it's in your account you can download it at any time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.