Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

David 12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
I am a level 72 Axton and I was getting ready to start OP1 (Digistruct Peak) and when I opened Borderlands 2 I received a message saying the game was damaged. I then was prompted to delete it and reinstall the game from the App Store.

I did that and now I am back at a level 1 Axton! All my progress has been lost.

Is there any way to retrieve my level 72 progress?

Thanks

David 12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
That is a great idea but sadly I do not have a back up.

I probably should have so maybe it is a lesson learned.

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
I am a level 72 Axton and I was getting ready to start OP1 (Digistruct Peak) and when I opened Borderlands 2 I received a message saying the game was damaged. I then was prompted to delete it and reinstall the game from the App Store.

I did that and now I am back at a level 1 Axton! All my progress has been lost.

Is there any way to retrieve my level 72 progress?

Thanks

Oh noooooo! Ok...what operating system? And "how" did you delete your app?

David 12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Thanks for the response!

OSX mavericks and I simply dragged the game to the trash bin to delete. I was asked if I want to delete the app and I selected yes. I tried to launch the game three times and each time I was told the game was damaged.

I then reinstalled the game from my purchases from the App Store and the game started from the very beginning. All my progress is gone. Kind of a pain!

I really hate to start over but I am not sure if I gave any options to get my level 72 Axton progress back. My only thought is that the game would sync somehow and my saved progress would somehow be recoverable.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

David 12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
I did a google search and i read that if you reinstall the game then launch the game it will look like you have to start over. But if you press the letter y you will get a select character screen with all your characters.

I have not tried this but wonder if that would work.

Dave

David 12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Okay, I first have to say I am not very tech savvy but I found my BL2 save data folder and opened it and found a file called profile.bin

I went to open it with izip and received an error message that the file is damaged and should be moved to the trash.

I did not move it to the trash but I wonder if the damaged profile.bin is my problem.

Should I go ahead and move it to the trash and see if that solves my problem of getting back my level 72 progress? Or by doing so will that delete my old progress?

The only other thing to report is that I purchased the new mercenary DLC the day it came out and I got the game damaged error the next day.

Pressing y at the main menu just gave me a cursor to type in.

Last edited:

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
Okay, I first have to say I am not very tech savvy but I found my BL2 save data folder and opened it and found a file called profile.bin

I went to open it with izip and received an error message that the file is damaged and should be moved to the trash.

I did not move it to the trash but I wonder if the damaged profile.bin is my problem.

Should I go ahead and move it to the trash and see if that solves my problem of getting back my level 72 progress? Or by doing so will that delete my old progress?

The only other thing to report is that I purchased the new mercenary DLC the day it came out and I got the game damaged error the next day.

Pressing y at the main menu just gave me a cursor to type in.

Sorry for the delay here. Just back from holiday.

Ok...there is still a chance depending on if you deleted from the dock/launchpad or your applications folder. Now in Mavericks, if you delete from either the dock or the launchpad, it actually will delete everything including your save games, just like iOS :( BUT if you dragged from your desktop, you should still have your save data.

At this point, I would say you should start a ticket with our support team at support.aspyr.com. You arent the only one seeing this error after the launch of Mercenary Day. The App Store traffic over the holiday is causing that weird error. The frustrating part is...most of the time, if you simply close out that warning and restart your computer it fixes the issue :(

----------

Also...WORST case scenario...we could give you an Axton save file from our test team. It would take you a little work in resetting quests, and respecs to get it close to "your" Axton, but it would at least prevent you from the long march back to 72.

Start with our support team, and then lets go from there. Either way...we will get you up and running :apple:

David 12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Thanks for the response - I went ahead and contacted support and they are looking into the issue.

Looking back, a restart would have been a good idea! I just tried to open the application a few times and kept getting the game damaged error message.

To open the game on my iMac running mavericks, I go into launchpad to see my applications then click the BL2 logo to open the game. Instead of opening it, I dragged the BL2 logo to the trash and deleted it.

Looking at my computer setup, I have plenty of storage to start backing up my computer!

Thanks for the reassurance about possibly at least not having to start over!

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.