Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdarling

macrumors P6
The iPhone started with 2 births. One was the iPod team that began by building up the iPod-OS. The other was another group that was tearing down the Mac-OS.

Although UI experiments were done on iPods during mid 2005, it became pretty apparent that they needed a more complete OS to work with.

Naturally, MacOS executive Scott Forestall wanted to port OS X.

iPod executive Tony Fadell was in favor of using Linux. Probably to keep the project away from his rival, Forestall :)

The OS X team ended up winning out.

True, although insiders say it was never really a serious contest, since Jobs favored using in-house software.

Oddly enough, today's iOS 7 seems to take styling cues from that demo software.

If you mean 2D simplicity. To me, the test software looked a bit like Star Trek LCARS buttons.

Below are shots from an iPhone prototype with test UI from Nov 2006:

2006nov_iphone2.png 2006nov_iphone4.png
2006nov_iphone3.png

haplain

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Good thing I've got a few protos

Well then my 5x 2G iPhone prototypes must be worth a pretty penny. Most of mine are running an os even earlier than switchboard/skankphone.

That doesn't include all my dvt iPods/iPod minis.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I think I would have asked for more than just $1500 if I was selling it and it was legitimate. In a few decades, I imagine this will be worth $10K+.

agreed. That seems like a steal for the buyer. My "buy it now" price would have been $5000+

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
If its confirmed to be an original, this thing is gonna be sold for $500.000 in 30 years, and some seller from ebay who got $1500 in 2013 will put himself out of his misery.

superman23

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
If its confirmed to be an original, this thing is gonna be sold for $500.000 in 30 years, and some seller from ebay who got $1500 in 2013 will put himself out of his misery.

Apple, if they still exist, will report it stolen and comes and take it if that happens

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Yeah. The person who has the phone and can prove so probably by bill of sale or what not is the legal owner. Nothing too complex about that. Just a phone.

Since it was an item never intended for sale, it is considered stolen property and Apple still is the rightful owner of it.

Apple has the legal right to swoop in if they want and reclaim it at any time... and occasionally have in the past on such items.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
That is true. Sucks for the person who gets jipped. But why would Apple spend $ to retrieve a model that's pretty useless to them. I'm sure they have tons of prototypes. Probably in the secret Apple vault :p

Macyourdayy

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
They also considered basing it on Linux, which is what Android is built around.

seriously? Are you one of those guys that has owned every mac or apple device, including Pippin, since 1973 (or was it '68...I can't remember now), but are now moving to android because apple doesn't innovate any more? That shtick is getting a bit old. WTF would they use Linux when they already have the best kernel and scalability?

haplain

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
It's legit

The phones real sorry to burst everyone's bubble. That's exactly how switchboard looks. Unless anyone has an iPhone prototype in their possession, then all the hypothetical I think, I believe is just conjecture. I've got many iPhone prototypes running skankphone and it's looks IDENTICAL.

kdarling

macrumors P6
seriously? Are you one of those guys that has owned every mac or apple device, including Pippin, since 1973 (or was it '68...I can't remember now), but are now moving to android because apple doesn't innovate any more? That shtick is getting a bit old. WTF would they use Linux when they already have the best kernel and scalability?

According to insider info, some executives at Apple did push for Linux.

You owe him an apology not only for your ignorance about that, but also for warping his simple comment into some wild anti-Apple fantasy of your own making.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
yipe...:eek:

That is old expensive iPhone, even if it is the original...

Collectors item ? or will it actually be used.

Its also like your own local "computer museum"

Almost as rare as buying a "vintage Commodore 64" of eBay.. although no where near as expensive.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Did Apple really think about "Touch ID" back with the original iPhone? Look at the fingerprint icon with Touch with the name.

https://www.macrumors.com/2013/12/30/purported-original-iphone-prototype-sells-on-ebay-for-1499/Image

An alleged prototype version of Apple's original iPhone has sold on eBay for $1499, with the device appearing to be in excellent condition and containing signal strength measurements etched on the rear casing. The device is also shown running Apple's internal diagnostic software.The authenticity of the device has not been confirmed, and similar signal strength etchings do not appear to have been seen on other prototypes, but the device does lack the standard regulatory text on the rear casing that would be present on a non-prototype unit. A reddit user claims to be the buyer of the device, but it has not yet been delivered to allow for further testing of its authenticity.

It is not unusual for prototype Apple devices to appear on eBay, and many of these auctions are quickly removed, presumably at Apple's request. This auction was able to be completed, perhaps due to having been posted for only two days and having ended through a "Buy It Now" purchase well ahead of the scheduled ending time.

Article Link: Purported Original iPhone Prototype Sells on eBay for $1499

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.