Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I've had my iPhone 5 for over a year. The button is just as good as when I got it.

Not all iDevices have issues with the Home Button, but it has been an issue for a ton of people on every generation of iPhone/iPad. (Just do a search on this forum for 'Home Button' and you will get pages and pages of people with issues going back 6 years.) A mechanical button WILL fail over time. This is a fact and one reason I believe Apple is moving to what is essentially a capacitive button (a la Android phones).

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
And here I was thinking I might come back and read some more Nexus 5 users discussing a switch back to iOS…instead I got 2 pages of nothing

hashholly, thanks for the amazon link, appreciate that

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Not all iDevices have issues with the Home Button, but it has been an issue for a ton of people on every generation of iPhone/iPad. (Just do a search on this forum for 'Home Button' and you will get pages and pages of people with issues going back 6 years.) A mechanical button WILL fail over time. This is a fact and one reason I believe Apple is moving to what is essentially a capacitive button (a la Android phones).
I agree with you about the physical home button…it might fail over time. But it also occurs to me the the best selling phones in the world all have physical home buttons. The Samsung Galaxy and Note lines all have physical home buttons. The iPhone, best selling smartphone in the world, has a physical home button. So you could be right over time the home button might go away. But right now people like it so I don't that happening anytime soon.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012

Thanks for your write up. It really shows the day to day intricate uses of the Nexus 5 and how it differs from the iOS experience. You hear a lot about the inconsistencies in Android, but it seems like it is still quite difficult to be more specific about these problems. You have pointed some of them out. Thanks. I think now, it is up to the end user whether they can tolerate these inconsistencies or not.

That said, I still feel that 3 weeks may not be long enough for one to fully understand the system. I'd give it a bit more time before concluding this write up. Keep up the good work!

I am using a N5 as my daily driver over a iPhone 5 the past few weeks ...

Are you driving your phone?

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I agree with you about the physical home button…it might fail over time. But it also occurs to me the the best selling phones in the world all have physical home buttons. The Samsung Galaxy and Note lines all have physical home buttons. The iPhone, best selling smartphone in the world, has a physical home button. So you could be right over time the home button might go away. But right now people like it so I don't that happening anytime soon.

Currently the best selling phones do have physical home buttons, but I don't see that trend continuing now that Apple is moving away from it.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Currently the best selling phones do have physical home buttons, but I don't see that trend continuing now that Apple is moving away from it.
How do you know Apple is moving away from physical home buttons?

Last edited:

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Im not going to install a different kernal...most likely but you never know, ;)

What else did you do? Didnt you turn off your Google Now as well? I dont do that but i have my location on battery save mode till i need the GPS and i like a little haptic feedback(vibrate) when i hit the buttons.

I have everything on and GPS set to high accuracy.

If you are trying to improve battery life and are rooted, install wakelock detector, gsam battery stays (and it's root companion app), and CPU spy, all of which are free. Then over the course of a couples days you will need to do some troubleshooting.

For me, it only took a couple hours of not using the phone while it is unplugged to notice, via CPU spy, that my phone wouldn't go into deep sleep very often. It should normally be around the 80%, maybe even higher. But it was in the 30s. So I had to reinstall apps from scratch to figure out what was causing it, in my case it was Plex for Plex Pass.

Then with gsam and wakelock detector, I found the apps that kept causing wakelocks. One of them was from a widget on my home screen which I then removed. Another was from some app (I forgot the name) and I uninstalled it. And finally Facebook kept causing wakelocks even with notifications and everything for the app turned off. So I uninstalled the app and put a bookmark on my homescreen. After that I noticed improved battery life.

After all that trouble shooting was when I decided to install a custom kernel and noticed even better battery life (particularly in relation to idle power drain). Now on an average day when I am on my good local wifi most of the time I can get 24 hours total time with 4+ SOT. Of course that includes 6-8 hours of not touching the phone while asleep. But that is still really good! I only lose like 4-7% in many cases over the course of a night.

Hope that helps!

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

LOL, well the physical home button didnt help or hurt Samsungs sales. Id have still bought one if it didnt have a physical home button and at the time, i prefered it didnt have one. Now i again have a phone without one. So in that regard i dont think it matters and most people wont care either way.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
How do you know Apple is moving away from physical home buttons?

Physical button will be there, it just won't be mechanical in nature. It will be capacitive or something like capacitive. The patent described here goes in to some detail on the mechanical and capacitive nature of the current configuration, but there is no actual need for the mechanical portion any more. The capacitive plate and ID sensor are already in place. Apple can shave several cents off the cost of each phone by dumping the mechanical portion.

Link to patent from last month: http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/11/a-new-apple-iphone-5s-touch-id-patent-surfaces.html

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Physical button will be there, it just won't be mechanical in nature. It will be capacitive or something like capacitive. The patent described here goes in to some detail on the mechanical and capacitive nature of the current configuration, but there is no actual need for the mechanical portion any more. The capacitive plate and ID sensor are already in place. Apple can shave several cents off the cost of each phone by dumping the mechanical portion.

Link to patent from last month: http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/11/a-new-apple-iphone-5s-touch-id-patent-surfaces.html
I'm not sure I agree with you on this……Apple has a lot of patents but not all come to be used in products. But Apple just bought a new manufacturing plant for one of their suppliers to make the glass for the fingerprint readers. They just introduced this new technology in the 5s. If they do away with the physical home button it would seem to eliminate the fingerprint reader as well. I just don't see them eliminating the physical home button. I think they will leave it as it is with the mechanical push home button.
http://9to5mac.com/2013/11/04/apple-to-build-manufacturing-facility-in-mesa-arizona-will-create-2000-jobs/

dumastudetto

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Thanks for sharing an honest and in-depth review that includes the many downsides of the Nexus 5. This exhaustive review deserves to be pinned in the forum so everyone can get the chance to read it. I for one really appreciate you taking the time to write it up and produce such an authoritative piece. This is a rare in a web forum.

Oh, and welcome home to iPhone. :D

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Reading the posts on copy and paste made me remember one other area that I had issues with is the inability to copy and paste photos.

In other words, if I google an image and simply want to copy it and paste it into an email, I can't do it with Kit Kat. You have to save the photo and then attach it. Very strange.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Reading the posts on copy and paste made me remember one other area that I had issues with is the inability to copy and paste photos.

In other words, if I google an image and simply want to copy it and paste it into an email, I can't do it with Kit Kat. You have to save the photo and then attach it. Very strange.

when you click the image there are 3 dots in the top right. Tap the dots and pick share and then email :)

Sensamic

macrumors 68030
Mar 26, 2010

Moving away? Seriously? Now that they have included Touch ID into their home button?

It's not going anywhere any time soon.

Apple wants to keep that mechanical home button because that way it will break in time, forcing users to upgrade to new iPhones.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Doesn't help when trying to paste into an existing email or text message thread.

Copy and Paste is a basic function.

Do people still copy and paste images into an email? Or do they "attach" images, docs, apk's, pdf's, ppt's or what have you into an email?
Didn't copy/paste images get axed by most mail servers because of the potential for embedded code that can't be filtered out, like attachments can be?

----------

Moving away? Seriously? Now that they have included Touch ID into their home button?

It's not going anywhere any time soon.

Apple wants to keep that mechanical home button because that way it will break in time, forcing users to upgrade to new iPhones.

Don't think you read my first sentence in my last post. The 'physical home button' will remain, but the 'mechanical' function of it (aka actually pushing down and have the button move) will go away. The home button already has a capacitive layer. There is no need for the underlying mechanical movement.

----------

I'm not sure I agree with you on this……Apple has a lot of patents but not all come to be used in products. But Apple just bought a new manufacturing plant for one of their suppliers to make the glass for the fingerprint readers. They just introduced this new technology in the 5s. If they do away with the physical home button it would seem to eliminate the fingerprint reader as well. I just don't see them eliminating the physical home button. I think they will leave it as it is with the mechanical push home button.
http://9to5mac.com/2013/11/04/apple-to-build-manufacturing-facility-in-mesa-arizona-will-create-2000-jobs/

Same answer as above. You guys are thinking 'physical' and 'mechanical' as the same thing.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Didn't copy/paste images get axed by most mail servers because of the potential for embedded code that can't be filtered out, like attachments can be?

ding ding, winner, winner chicken dinner. this guy gets it. it's great to have the ability to copy/paste and even better than Android does give you that option.

It always gets me though when my friends who do this however, embed a 1900x1200 full size image on an email though. No thanks. If I want the full size image, that's cool, but just send me the link.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Do people still copy and paste images into an email? Or do they "attach" images, docs, apk's, pdf's, ppt's or what have you into an email?

----------

Don't think you read my first sentence in my last post. The 'physical home button' will remain, but the 'mechanical' function of it (aka actually pushing down and have the button move) will go away. The home button already has a capacitive layer. There is no need for the underlying mechanical movement.

----------

Same answer as above. You guys are thinking 'physical' and 'mechanical' as the same thing.

I got it........I just don't agree with it. Please tell us how you know Apple is moving away from the physical....mechanical home button as you previous stated here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydbm41

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.