Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I have a Mid 2009 Macbook with 4GB's of RAM. After Mavericks it seems to be using VM more than usual and sometimes can be sluggish. Running less apps at once helps, however more RAM may help more. I have heard that it possible to get 6GB's of RAM in the Mac and I have to wondr if its safe to the Mac and if it would help. Has anyone tried it and did it help? Here is the specs for my Macbook.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook5,2
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.13 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MB52.0088.B06
SMC Version (system): 1.38f5
Serial Number (system):
Hardware UUID: 22AE87A5-8DEF-5F07-B328-0A2BABD69F91
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

John

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Your MacBook supports up to 6 GB of RAM. Yes, it's safe and yes, it will very likely help. You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Your MacBook supports up to 6 GB of RAM. Yes, it's safe and yes, it will very likely help. You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

Just installed the extra RAM going to 6GB's. However it still seems to be using up all my RAM.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-30 at 5.11.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-12-30 at 5.11.27 PM.png
    239 KB · Views: 103

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Just installed the extra RAM going to 6GB's. However it still seems to be using up all my RAM.

Almost half of the RAM is used for caching, why is that a problem for you? Actually, you should be glad that the OS actually tries hard to utilise the RAM you have paid for ;)

In another words: just because all of your RAM is getting used, it does not mean that you have too little of it. Your RAM stats look very good to me.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Almost half of the RAM is used for caching, why is that a problem for you? Actually, you should be glad that the OS actually tries hard to utilise the RAM you have paid for ;)

In another words: just because all of your RAM is getting used, it does not mean that you have too little of it. Your RAM stats look very good to me.

Maybe I am clueless. Is there anything abnormal about the screenshot I attached? Sorry missed the last line. If it is okay then I have been mistaken. Thanks...

What is that memory Pressure Gauge?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Maybe I am clueless. Is there anything abnormal about the screenshot I attached? Sorry missed the last line. If it is okay then I have been mistaken. Thanks...

As I have said, your RAM stats look very healthy to me.

What is that memory Pressure Gauge?

Its basically an indicator of how starved for RAM your system currently is. If the pressure is low, it means that all applications have enough memory with plenty to spare, and everyone is happy. It it gets high, it means that some application has requested more RAM and the OS is not sure whether it can keep up with the demand. The OS responds to a high pressure situation by attempting to reclaim temporary or cached RAM, maybe compressing or swapping some less used pages. This page is a quite detailed description, albeit it gets a bit technical: http://newosxbook.com/articles/MemoryPressure.html

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
As I have said, your RAM stats look very healthy to me.

Its basically an indicator of how starved for RAM your system currently is. If the pressure is low, it means that all applications have enough memory with plenty to spare, and everyone is happy. It it gets high, it means that some application has requested more RAM and the OS is not sure whether it can keep up with the demand. The OS responds to a high pressure situation by attempting to reclaim temporary or cached RAM, maybe compressing or swapping some less used pages. This page is a quite detailed description, albeit it gets a bit technical: http://newosxbook.com/articles/MemoryPressure.html

And mine looks normal?? That website is very technical and over my head.

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
Here is a Cnet article that touches on the memory pressure graph of the Activity Monitor on Mavericks. The Cnet article isn't as technical as the other one, but explains the basics.

Anyhow, you have nothing to worry since the graph is green. Just move on with your life.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.