Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ferc Kast

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
The Multiverse
Oh sure, after Apple very "helfully" downloads IOS7 to your device, without your consent, then we are a click away from doing something irreversible. TOO LATE.

Because clearly there aren't buttons that let you accept and install the update or decline and stay on your current iOS version. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
That graph is the biggest lie ever.
Apple don't give the users any other choice.
It's like saying: either you use our new ios or you can't use your device again....

What do you know adaption rate 90%

Simply genius...

Let people the option to go back to ios 6 and you will see this graph drop to 40% at best.

More like, this is the package Apple chooses to sell as a product, and the OS is an inherent part of that package. If you don't like the package, you can simply choose to purchase an alternate product.

That's how "choice" works in the real world pal. And that's the beauty of being a consumer. You buy products if you like them, you buy different products if you don't. The OS is part of the package, and iOS 7 is part of the product that Apple is selling. By using an Apple product you agreed to an EULA that stated Apple may alter or change the software as they see fit. Also, you proceeded with the update, it didn't install on it own, it only downloads itself.

And no, usage would not drop down to 40% if given the opportunity to downgrade. Just because you haters make the most noise doesn't mean you speak for the majority. You're a vocal minority. Most people are happily using 7, some probably indifferent, some loving it, others not as much. But we would see massive return rates and low customer satisfaction scores if half of customers HATED it. But guess what, that's not happening. Turns out Apple can't keep the damn products on store shelves, and people are enjoying them.

Get it? You're a vocal minority. Either get over it, or move on to a different platform. Nobody will miss you guys.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I'm not. But since most new Windows apps run on XP and most new Android apps run on Android 2; I'm curious as to why this cannot ever be the case on OS X or iOS, both of which land you in incompatible trouble if you're using a legacy version.

Maybe, as a non-developer, I'm missing something. Can you enlighten me?

With each update to any platform, new features are introduced to make developing apps for it simpler. Simultaneously, old features are removed for one reason or another (IE, because the feature was the source of security breaches and whoever maintained the platform decided nixing the feature would be the best way of fixing the breach.) If you're a developer looking to support a wide range of versions, you have a (relatively) narrow set of tools at your disposal. You can't use the easiest, newest, features because then users with old versions won't be able to use it, but you also can't use the oldest features because they've been nixed in the new versions and so users with new versions won't be able to use it.

So you have to contort your code to use the features that are neither too old nor too new.

I've developed for Android before - I hate every single Gingerbread user. They all suck and should die. I'd be a millionaire if I got a dollar for every time I found the perfect tool for what I needed in my app and couldn't use it because it was introduced in Honeycomb or Jellybean.

I've also had the same issue developing for OS X. Initially, Battery Status only supported OS X 10.7. As Apple introduced new features, I added support for them. At the same time, users with old Macs (mostly schools) asked me to support older OS's, so I had to go back and rewrite a lot of code to make it work on OS X 10.5 - OS X 10.9.

I've never had that issue when developing for iOS. All updates are free and easy, so most people get them. Those that don't get them tend not to be the kind of people who would buy the apps even if I supported older versions, so I don't bother. I just focus on developing for the latest and greatest versions of iOS.

(Rarely have issues like this when developing Java apps. Sometimes Python 2 - 3 causes me similar pains when writing apps in that language. I've never written a native Windows app so I wouldn't know anything about it... I'd imagine supporting XP - 8 is probably a huge PITA.)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Because clearly there aren't buttons that let you accept and install the update or decline and stay on your current iOS version. :rolleyes:
What about buttons to allow it to download to begin with or at least to remove it once it's downloaded? :rolleyes:

What about needing to restore the phone for some reason (perhaps it's having issues of some sort), do you get a choice then? :rolleyes:

----------

If you look at the reviews of any app that hasn't been updated to the new iOS 7 design, it is pretty much dominated by people complaining the app needs to be updated to the new iOS7 look and feel. That right there tells you how well received iOS 7 has been and how big the uptake is so far.

Me personally I can't stand iOS6 now. I have a device with iOS 6 just for development purposes and the lack of functionality and efficiency is immediately obvious compared to iOS 7. They did a great job with the new OS so it's not surprising how fast it's been adopted. Especially given the relatively short time frame after Forstall was let go. Eager to see what they can come up with in more time although cleaning up the remaining bugs should be the first thing they should tackle.
Don't think that because people are asking for an updated design of an app implies they like the new iOS version--some might simply want it so that at least the apps fit with the OS they might be stuck with, while others might want it just because they like something "new and shiny" and not because it would actually be better or more useful or anything like that.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
If you knew what you were doing and had some foresight in planning, you could do a clean re-install. Recently, apple stopped using blobs, so it's harder to stay on an older version if you screw up your phone.

What about needing to restore the phone for some reason (perhaps it's having issues of some sort), do you get a choice then? :rolleyes:

N64

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
Lost Woods
"iOS 7 is installed on some 78 percent of devices connecting to the App Store"

Not a good statistic to take. People on iOS 6 might not be using the App Store as much or at all. Apple knows exactly how many people installed iOS 7 and how many iPhones/iPads/iPods there are, so they should be able to get better statistics.

Probably a bias involved. No surprise.

----------

I'm not. But since most new Windows apps run on XP and most new Android apps run on Android 2; I'm curious as to why this cannot ever be the case on OS X or iOS, both of which land you in incompatible trouble if you're using a legacy version.

The Windows apps that run on both XP and 7 usually have some problem with one or the other. It's more annoying for developers. Plus, you aren't dealing with very many differences between XP and 7 compared to iOS 6 and iOS 7.

I think the biggest source of iOS 7 app mishaps is the changed GUI theme. Old apps suddenly have weird UI problems. An app I made (not on the App Store) became basically unusable in iOS 7 because of some GUI change, I forget what exactly but I think related to buttons.

nightstalkerz

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2013
"iOS 7 is installed on some 78 percent of devices connecting to the App Store"

Not a good statistic to take. People on iOS 6 might not be using the App Store as much or at all. Apple knows exactly how many people installed iOS 7 and how many iPhones/iPads/iPods there are, so they should be able to get better statistics.

Probably a bias involved. No surprise.

Why is it not a good statistic?

If people on iOS 6 aren't using the App Store, why should devs bother making their app compatible?

The App Store is the main way of obtaining apps and if a user doesn't use it, then it's not likely their not going to download any apps anyway.

I think the App Store usage is quite a reliable way to measure statistics.

Google used to show all android versions as well before Apple came out with their chart and they found out a lot of gingerbread and lower devices weren't using the play store so they excluded those now.

galrito

macrumors regular
May 4, 2010

The experience on the newer operating systems is compromised, unless you have a big team and/or a lot of time for development.
Since most of the companies that develop apps are small and don't have too much money to invest, if you have to support 3 or 4 versions of an operating system, you have to sacrifice the most recent technologies to not run into problems with the older operating systems. Apple tries to enforce the update because of that, they always have the user experience on the most recent OS as a priority.

And also, that is why Windows has (or had) so many problems, because they keep the legacy overhead around.

Me, as a developer and partner of a small development company, I'm thankful for this operating system update enforcement.

QuickDraw

macrumors regular
May 29, 2009
Sweet adoption rate,

makes my decision easier to not support iOS 6 and earlier with the app I started to prototype over the holidays.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
78% of the devices connecting to iTunes but what those that don't?

I want to know the percent of all possible iPhones in the field?

I'll make it easier…of all iPhone 4s, 5 excluding 5s since this came with IOS 7 and cannot be downgraded.

Why would people care about the percentage? The only ones who should care are software developers who must decide how many people will be happy / unhappy if their app works / doesn't work and looks great / doesn't look great on iOS 7 / iOS 6 / iOS 5.

If devices don't connect to iTunes, then they are not getting new software, so software developers can safely ignore these people.

karboN.6

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2010
Ny
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

After three-and-a-half months on the market, iOS 7 is installed on some 78 percent of devices connecting to the App Store, according to the latest numbers posted on Apple's App Store support page for developers.

The company puts iOS 6 adoption at 18 percent, and older OS versions at 4 percent. The data from Apple is likely the most accurate adoption data we will see and is the most relevant for developers as its taken directly from the App Store.

Earlier in December, Apple reported iOS 7 adoption at 74 percent.

Article Link: Apple's App Store Usage Numbers Peg iOS 7 Adoption at 78%

very interesting to think that some people still using the app store havent even upgraded to ios6 or 7, i wonder who is on the oldest software

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
It's *very* laggy in general and no fun to use any more. In fact it sometimes takes seconds after a touch until something happens on the screen (browsing the address book for example). The general UI (i.e. the animations) are just as bad as on my new iPad Air.

As a phone it's really unusable now. Accepting a call takes about 3-5 seconds until it reacts on the fact that I just pressed that green button.

If I could I would immediately go back to iOS 6.

As quoted earlier, there must be something wrong with your phone. My old one now in use by my wife still works pretty good. Try to do a reinstall, but I'm not sure that this will help actually.

Think something is wrong with your phone. iPhone 4 here and it runs fine all current releases of iOS 7 including 7.1 b1 & b2.

In my opinion, the only thing that really lacks CPU speed when using the core services of an smart phone like doing a call, organizing, mailing and browsing is the latter. Btw, a OS still supporting that many generations backwards is not common compared to all competitors.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If you knew what you were doing and had some foresight in planning, you could do a clean re-install. Recently, apple stopped using blobs, so it's harder to stay on an older version if you screw up your phone.
So with all that how would you do it then?

----------

very interesting to think that some people still using the app store havent even upgraded to ios6 or 7, i wonder who is on the oldest software
Some devices can't even run iOS 6 or above, like the original iPad, iPhone 3G, some iPod Touch versions.

----------

Why is it not a good statistic?

If people on iOS 6 aren't using the App Store, why should devs bother making their app compatible?

The App Store is the main way of obtaining apps and if a user doesn't use it, then it's not likely their not going to download any apps anyway.

I think the App Store usage is quite a reliable way to measure statistics.

Google used to show all android versions as well before Apple came out with their chart and they found out a lot of gingerbread and lower devices weren't using the play store so they excluded those now.
Gingerbread, which still comprises a good chunk of overall Android usage, is excluded from Google Play and doesn't have a store to go to for apps?

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
would be interesting to see

how many installed (basically had to) after having space stolen from them

how many would go back if they could

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
i only upgraded after there was a jailbreak for iOS 7

unfortunately the jailbreak is almost useless.
I jailbroke my 5s and none of the Apps I was using on my previous iPhone 5 with iOS6 work. The evad3rs did it too quick and nobody, even saurik, knew about it. Now, I am on a JB 5s with nothing to use.
We will have to wait… :rolleyes:

nightstalkerz

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2013
Gingerbread, which still comprises a good chunk of overall Android usage, is excluded from Google Play and doesn't have a store to go to for apps?

Gingerbread devices do still have Google play but a good chuck of them haven't visited the play Store in that month so they were excluded.

Same for all other versions of android but newer versions are more likely to use the play store.

I probably should have worded that better.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Gingerbread devices do still have Google play but a good chuck of them haven't visited the play Store in that month so they were excluded.

Same for all other versions of android but newer versions are more likely to use the play store.

I probably should have worded that better.
so what does excluded mean? Can someone with a Gingerbread device still use Google Play to get apps?

nightstalkerz

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2013
so what does excluded mean? Can someone with a Gingerbread device still use Google Play to get apps?

They can still use the play store.

Excluded means that they are not part of the monthly statistics as active devices.

I think this link might explain it better: http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
It's not a lie. Apple's failure to conform to the reality that you desire does not make their graph a lie. You can't, nor will you ever be able to go back to older iOS versions. 78% of iOS devices in use are on iOS 7, and that is a fact.

At this point, people that still can't get accustomed to iOS 7 should seriously consider Windows Phone or Android. This is the present and future of iOS, and aside from continuous refinements, what you see is what you're going to get for the next couple years.

The lie is in using the word "adoption" as if to say all users of IOS7 have chosen to use it. Most were forced to do so.

----------

Of course, you can always choose to stay on iOS 6. But in the future, what if you still don't like the way iOS 7+ looks? Eventually, you're either going to want a new iPad or the apps you use will require a later version of iOS. For now though, you're obviously fine.

And that is Apple forcing the use.

----------

More like, this is the package Apple chooses to sell as a product, and the OS is an inherent part of that package. If you don't like the package, you can simply choose to purchase an alternate product.

That's how "choice" works in the real world pal. And that's the beauty of being a consumer. You buy products if you like them, you buy different products if you don't. The OS is part of the package, and iOS 7 is part of the product that Apple is selling. By using an Apple product you agreed to an EULA that stated Apple may alter or change the software as they see fit. Also, you proceeded with the update, it didn't install on it own, it only downloads itself.

And no, usage would not drop down to 40% if given the opportunity to downgrade. Just because you haters make the most noise doesn't mean you speak for the majority. You're a vocal minority. Most people are happily using 7, some probably indifferent, some loving it, others not as much. But we would see massive return rates and low customer satisfaction scores if half of customers HATED it. But guess what, that's not happening. Turns out Apple can't keep the damn products on store shelves, and people are enjoying them.

Get it? You're a vocal minority. Either get over it, or move on to a different platform. Nobody will miss you guys.

Except that I chose my product and it used IOS6. Now I am being forced to use something else that I don't think is as good.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
The lie is in using the word "adoption" as if to say all users of IOS7 have chosen to use it. Most were forced to do so.

----------

And that is Apple forcing the use.

----------

Except that I chose my product and it used IOS6. Now I am being forced to use something else that I don't think is as good.

Nobody was forced to update to iOS 7. Not one single iOS device out of the hundreds of millions that have been sold automatically updated to iOS 7. You personally tapped the button that began the update. You could have still used iOS 6, but you chose not to. Are there consequences to not updating? Absolutely. But you still had a choice, and you chose to update. Therefore, you adopted iOS 7. If you really have a huge problem with iOS 7, Android and Windows Phone are waiting with open arms. Two more choices for you, right there.

And for the record, it's not hard to find people on these forums that chose to stay on iOS 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.