Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
Just a random question - how does the Mac Pro know when to turn the rear port illumination on? I haven't seen a machine in person, but it seems that the unit does not have a pedestal on which the machine turns - so to turn it, you literally just turn the machine around on the desk. So how does it know what orientation the machine is in, in order to turn the port lights on?

Also - tangentially - if you have all the ports occupied, isn't turning it around going to be a major pain, with potentially 15 cables plugged in plus the power lead?

Cubemmal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
Just a random question - how does the Mac Pro know when to turn the rear port illumination on? I haven't seen a machine in person, but it seems that the unit does not have a pedestal on which the machine turns - so to turn it, you literally just turn the machine around on the desk. So how does it know what orientation the machine is in, in order to turn the port lights on?

Also - tangentially - if you have all the ports occupied, isn't turning it around going to be a major pain, with potentially 15 cables plugged in plus the power lead?

It just responds to any movement. So when an earthquake happens you can use it to tell you that yes, and earthquake just happened.

zen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
It just responds to any movement. So when an earthquake happens you can use it to tell you that yes, and earthquake just happened.

Oh - so any movement of the machine while it is on, and the ports light up?

bvhmac1

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2012
It seems to me that it would have been more useful for the actual ports to light up rather than a rounded rectangle surrounding the types of ports. That way you could guide the cable into the port with ease.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
I tried turning one in an Apple store a few days ago and nothing lit up. Sadly disappointed.

The machine was on, btw. Before anyone asks. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.