Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miatadan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Sudbury,ON , Canada
Why is it with Macbook Pro regardless of model that the most ram memory is 16gb?

With the Lenovo W530 you can order it with 32gb PC-3-12800 DDR3 ....

there is no dimm slots on a mac, so is it a space limitation?

Dan

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
It's 16GB on most machines outside of those classified as mobile workstations, which typically allow for 4 sodimms. Apple has never done that. Many others don't. It was obviously not a priority for them. As for space, that is possible. Ram takes up a lot of surface area with soldered memory, but they use it to allow for a very thin machine. 32GB would take up more area, as they are at the maximum density for that specification. Even if this wasn't the case, I doubt they would offer 32GB configurations at this point. They never chased bleeding edge memory configurations in the notebook lineups in the past. I don't think that will change.

miatadan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Sudbury,ON , Canada
It's 16GB on most machines outside of those classified as mobile workstations, which typically allow for 4 sodimms. Apple has never done that. Many others don't. It was obviously not a priority for them. As for space, that is possible. Ram takes up a lot of surface area with soldered memory, but they use it to allow for a very thin machine. 32GB would take up more area, as they are at the maximum density for that specification. Even if this wasn't the case, I doubt they would offer 32GB configurations at this point. They never chased bleeding edge memory configurations in the notebook lineups in the past. I don't think that will change.

thanks ))) confirms what I thought... 16gb on my custom built pc is plenty, so 16gb should be good enough on Macbook Pro

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.