Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Here you go, a first edition for only US$45,495!

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=7323772481&searchurl=sortby=1&tn=hobbit

This has the original text that was modified in the second edition onward necessary for congruency with TLotR.

Let me get my checkbook out... I'll pick this musty old book over a BMW any day... :p

That sounds right killing Smaug in the beginning of the third movie, supposively much of the third film will be the Battle of the Five Armies. Remembering the never-ending endings of Return of the King, I wager PJ will stretch that out as long as possible...and fill in some time gaps between The Hobbit and LoTR too (i.e. Balin etc. in Moria)...

I don't think I'm seeing the second or third movies in the theater... will stream instead. My hearts just not in it. Remember the Battle of Five Armies is just one chapter. There were about 18 chapters some as short as 10 pages. Thank goodness we don't have 6 movies full of filler material. :p

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Referencing LOTR, hmm, I wonder where each one ended? If you recall in the Fellowship of the Ring, it officially ended with Frodo and Sam crossing the river and heading out on their own. Thinking where could have Tolkien ended it before then, when they arrived at Rivendell?

I'm a few days late but I can be a little more specific than the chapter titles given earlier: The first book ended where Frodo appears to die after crossing the ford (in the movie, it fades to white for a few seconds). He's carried to Rivendell in the space between the two books.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
:)

Let me get my checkbook out... I'll pick this musty old book over a BMW any day... :p

I don't think I'm seeing the second or third movies in the theater... will stream instead. My hearts just not in it. Remember the Battle of Five Armies is just one chapter. There were about 18 chapters some as short as 10 pages. Thank goodness we don't have 6 movies full of filler material. :p

Ah! Thank you for the chapter count for the Battle of Five Armies (I just remembered I have the iBooks copies of this and LoTR). I suppose the appendices and more unnecessary Jackson-Boyens argh! will fluff out the rest of that movie, but I'm kind of hoping Thorin stays alive as long as possible to skip around the filler.

I rented AUJ myself and probably will rent There and Back Again.

It's just Beorn, what little they've shown of his human form reminds of me the 2000 A.D. Slaine and I am a big fan of Slaine, if Beorn says Kiss My Axe to Azog I will consider not hating PJ's Hobbit for about 5 minutes anyway....:D

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Why? The more the better, I say. I love that this is a trilogy! I don't mind filler, either. Flesh it out. Expand on the story. I wish LOTR was 6 movies.

I've adequately explained myself in this thread. :p

I'm a few days late but I can be a little more specific than the chapter titles given earlier: The first book ended where Frodo appears to die after crossing the ford (in the movie, it fades to white for a few seconds). He's carried to Rivendell in the space between the two books.

I remember that! :)

It's just Beorn, what little they've shown of his human form reminds of me the 2000 A.D. Slaine and I am a big fan of Slaine, if Beorn says Kiss My Axe to Azog I will consider not hating PJ's Hobbit for about 5 minutes anyway....:D

Beorn's farm is my favorite part of the story, several days of peace and magic sandwiched in between dark, life threatening events. :)

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Why? The more the better, I say. I love that this is a trilogy! I don't mind filler, either. Flesh it out. Expand on the story. I wish LOTR was 6 movies.

That's exactly how I feel, I love these stories and don't mind being "forced" into watch another one or two :p

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
... new trailer

The new trailer for Desolation of Smaug is up

Outside of TMT (Too much Tauriel - bleh) and NNEB (Not Nearly Enough Beorn :D), I was pleasantly surprised.

Like Bard, really like Smaug and seems like Thorin's 'greed' is staring to manifest.

I hope this will still be shown in 2D since my peepers/noggin can't handle 3D.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
The new trailer for Desolation of Smaug is up

Outside of TMT (Too much Tauriel - bleh) and NNEB (Not Nearly Enough Beorn :D), I was pleasantly surprised.

Like Bard, really like Smaug and seems like Thorin's 'greed' is staring to manifest.

I hope this will still be shown in 2D since my peepers/noggin can't handle 3D.

Looks pretty good, and I agree with you that I hope it will be shown in 2D also. If the only option is 3D I might just wait until it is out on DVD and I can watch it without getting a headache from the 3D

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
agreed

Looks pretty good, and I agree with you that I hope it will be shown in 2D also. If the only option is 3D I might just wait until it is out on DVD and I can watch it without getting a headache from the 3D

Yeah, I only see 3D info on this trailer. I cannot watch anything in 3D so I will probably just rent now myself. This on top of seeing Beorn's human design :(

(Don't what I was expecting given the disappointing character designs thus far...)

jeremy h

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
Yeah, I only see 3D info on this trailer. I cannot watch anything in 3D so I will probably just rent now myself. This on top of seeing Beorn's human design :(

(Don't what I was expecting given the disappointing character designs thus far...)

I've just taken a look at the trailer (thanks Kazmac). Oh dear, here we go again. I also googled the Beorn character. And my only conclusion is that I think they're designing merchandise action figures first, and then scaling it all up to fit the actor. (I think the brief is probably how to make this character stand out when they're four inches high and sat in a vac formed package.) :rolleyes:

Huntn - I hope you don't mind me cross posting this about Beorn's house from the book thread...
I'm looking forward with some slight trepidation on how they treat it visually. The descriptions of the the main house are fairly specific. I'd have to go read it again, but as I recall it's something like a rambling ranch house made out of hewed timber, nothing "elf" fancy. ;)

Well, it just has to be some sort of Anglo-Saxon style great hall. That's pretty much what Tolkien drew in the book - even down to the sunken fireplace and benches etc. My ongoing gripe with these latest films is that they're completely loosing their ascetic anchor in the myths of Anglo-Saxon/Norse world. It went somewhat in the LOTR but that in itself is not an issue if you've got a better place to go - which they did in the case of those three films. But I think the Hobbit - which is a wittier, less epic story just can't take this shift. Personally (with the exception of Gollum) I thought the story seemed to inconvenience the director. I wish they'd go back to the roots of the story, go smaller scale - more live action - hint at stuff, (far less hyper real in your face GCI and 3d). Gently tell this Beowulf inspired story in a more of a Games of Thrones landscape. (If that makes sense?) If you want to make an epic - expand on the opening to the Lord of the Rings (do something from the Similarion instead.)

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
I've just taken a look at the trailer (thanks Kazmac). Oh dear, here we go again. I also googled the Beorn character. And my only conclusion is that I think they're designing merchandise action figures first, and then scaling it all up to fit the actor. (I think the brief is probably how to make this character stand out when they're four inches high and sat in a vac formed package.) :rolleyes:

Huntn - I hope you don't mind me cross posting this about Beorn's house from the book thread...

Well, it just has to be some sort of Anglo-Saxon style great hall. That's pretty much what Tolkien drew in the book - even down to the sunken fireplace and benches etc. My ongoing gripe with these latest films is that they're completely loosing their ascetic anchor in the myths of Anglo-Saxon/Norse world. It went somewhat in the LOTR but that in itself is not an issue if you've got a better place to go - which they did in the case of those three films. But I think the Hobbit - which is a wittier, less epic story just can't take this shift. Personally (with the exception of Gollum) I thought the story seemed to inconvenience the director. I wish they'd go back to the roots of the story, go smaller scale - more live action - hint at stuff, (far less hyper real in your face GCI and 3d). Gently tell this Beowulf inspired story in a more of a Games of Thrones landscape. (If that makes sense?) If you want to make an epic - expand on the opening to the Lord of the Rings (do something from the Similarion instead.)

Agreed all the way with your post to Huntn as well. I just thought, geez, Beorn looks like an anime attempt at Wolverine...action figures indeed.

I really wish Guillermo del Toro would not have bailed on making these. Sure his designs would have been different too, but I bet the films would have been much much better in look, feel and character designs.

Now I probably will go see Thor: The Dark World despite my loathing of Natalie Portman's Jane.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Don't mind at all. The more Beorn/Hobbit talk the better. :) Lord of the Rings was the spectacle. Even though there is a Battle of Five Armies mentioned in The Hobbit, it is practically mentioned in passing. Nothing like the battle of Helm's Deep or Pelennor Fields. No The Hobbit was intended as a different kind of story and Jackson blew it up, way up. To lose such artistic vision is a huge disappointment. Let's see how Smaug dies, if it is as sample as an arrow to the heart, probably not... Bilbo probably puts a choke hold on him. :p

minas_tirith_21.jpg

wbymhu.jpg

944924_20080717_screen006.jpg

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Got my arm twisted into seeing The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. You guys have all ready gotten to endure my whining about part one, so I'll I'll just say LOTRozied once again, no place for charm, it's totally absent. Charm in the manner they met Beorn, charm in taunting the spiders, and the interaction of Bilbo with the Dragon. Yes a decent "action" movie, two big fabricated (outside the book) action sequences, and they could of done this book in 2 movies max. :p

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
All Spoilers!​

The Hobbit: DoS Differences from book:

All of these changes are to facilitate adding extra material, drama, and "action" to the film.

-No significant pursuit by orcs once the Dwarves were transported to that rock (forget name) by the Eagles and on their way to Beorn's (book).
-Meeting with Beorn was a complete let down in movie. In the book it was magical. He did not try to attack the party when it first showed up (as in Movie), the meeting was cordial with charm as each member was supposed to space their arrival. I don't remember him expressing such disdain for dwarves in the book. Gandalf did not express the possibility that Beorn might kill them all.
-No Elf parties in the woods (movie)! Thorin Party was desperate in the forest running out of food, so after Bilbo peaks out of the tree tops, and sees nothing but more trees, they lose hope and end up they chasing Elvin lights in the forest only to get completely lost and caught by spiders (book).
-Bildo not caught by spiders (book).
-Bilbo taunts spiders with his ring on, leads them away from dwarf prisoners, then comes back and rescues them (book). Dwarves not recused by Elves from spiders, although Elves catch dwarves. :)
-With Bilbo's help, Dwarves escape from Forest Elves in sealed barrels, stealth mode. Elves did not know they were in barrels (book). In movie, Elves are aware and this sets up river chase sequence. A little too spectacular for me to maintain my suspension of disbelief. ;)
-No drama between Bard and Lake Town leader (book) that I recall.
-Exchange between Bilbo and Smaug was better in book. I believe Bilbo kept his ring on the whole time so Smaug talked to him just to get more time to figure out where he was. As in the movie, he did discover that Bilbo had some association with Lake Town by virtue of being a "Barrel Rider".
-No fighting between Dwarves and Smaug (book). In fact they were not aware that Bilbo had stolen the Arknstone and that Smaug had left the mountain on rampage to Lake Town because the jewel had been stolen. Not because Smaug was mad at Lake town for helping Bilbo (movie)? Besides, I don't believe that Smaug would leave his treasure with dwarves running all over it for any other reason that he had been stolen from and there were no dwarves about, that he could detect other than smelling a draft from the back door. Otherwise he would have stayed there and fought the dwarves (my opinion). In the book he smashed the back door trapping the dwarves inside the mountain, although at this point he left for Lake Town.

Last edited:

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Got my arm twisted into seeing The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. You guys have all ready gotten to endure my whining about part one, so I'll I'll just say LOTROzied once again, no place for charm, it's totally absent. Charm in the manner they met Beorn, charm in taunting the spiders, and the interaction of Bilbo with the Dragon. Yes a decent "action" movie, two big fabricated (outside the book) action sequences, and they could of done this in 2 movies max. :p

Okay, what is LOTROized? Are you referring to Lord of the Rings Online?

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
All Spoilers!​

The Hobbit:SoS Differences from book:

All of these changes are to facilitate adding extra material, drama, and "action" to the film.

-No significant pursuit by orcs once the Dwarves were transported to that rock (forget name) by the Eagles and on their way to Beorn's (book).
-Meeting with Beorn was a complete let down in movie. In the book it was magical. He did not try to attack the party when it first showed up (as in Movie), the meeting was cordial with charm as each member was supposed to space their arrival. I don't remember him expressing such disdain for dwarves in the book. Gandalf did not express the possibility that Beorn might kill them all.
-No Elf parties in the woods (movie)! Thorin Party was desperate in the forest running out of food, so after Bilbo peaks out of the tree tops, and sees nothing but more trees, they lose hope and end up they chasing Elvin lights in the forest only to get completely lost and caught by spiders (book).
-Bildo not caught by spiders.
-Bilbo taunts spiders with his ring on, leads them away from dwarf prisoners, then comes back and rescues them (book). Dwarves not recused by Elves from spiders.
-With Bilbo's help, Dwarves escape from Forest Elves in sealed barrels, stealth mode. Elves did not know they were in barrels (book). In movie, Elves are aware and this sets up river chase sequence. A little too spectacular for me to maintain my suspension of disbelief. ;)
-No drama between Bard and Lake Town leader (book) that I recall.
-Exchange between Bilbo and Smaug was better in book. I believe Bilbo kept his ring on the whole time so Smaug talked to him just to get more time to figure out where he was. As in the movie, he did discover that Bilbo had some association with Lake Town by virtue of being a "Barrel Rider".
-No fighting between Dwarves and Smaug (book). In fact they were not aware that Bilbo had stolen the Arknstone and that Smaug had left the mountain on rampage to Lake Town because the jewel had been stolen. Not because Smaug was mad at Lake town for helping Bilbo (movie)? Besides, I don't believe that Smaug would leave his treasure with dwarves running all over it for any other reason that he had been stolen from and there were no dwarves about, that he could detect other than smelling a draft from the back door. Otherwise he would have stayed there and fought the dwarves (my opinion). In the book he smashed the back door trapping the dwarves inside the mountain, although at this point he left for Lake Town.

The rock in question would be the Carrock, sir.

I need to reread the book. I vaguely remember most of that. The biggest tweak that worked for me was fleshing out Bard's background.

And no I have not seen Thor The Dark World.:D

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Meh

Saw it last Saturday and was underwhelmed. Not as good as Rings movies. I thought the CGI was overdone and somewhat half baked. I read the book many years ago, but it seems to be reasonably faithful to the book. Again, not as good in this respect as Rings. In Rings movies I actually could have been reading the book back in the day. The scenes were exactly as I imagined them. In Hobbit, not so much. Exceptions were Lake-town, foundry and Smaug in treasure hall (the setting was captured but the dragon-hobbit interaction was not, as someone else observed). My young nieces and nephews who saw Rings agreed with me.

Possibly this is so because the book itself was just not as good. I recall that it took me a long time to get into the book and reach the point where it became a page turner; maybe around Lake-town because I like water and fantastic dwellings. Perhaps Tolkien was still building up a head of creative steam when he wrote it and was still working out his world creation algorithms. :)

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Saw it last Saturday and was underwhelmed. Not as good as Rings movies. I thought the CGI was overdone and somewhat half baked. I read the book many years ago, but it seems to be reasonably faithful to the book. Again, not as good in this respect as Rings. In Rings movies I actually could have been reading the book back in the day. The scenes were exactly as I imagined them. In Hobbit, not so much. Exceptions were Lake-town, foundry and Smaug in treasure hall (the setting was captured but the dragon-hobbit interaction was not, as someone else observed). My young nieces and nephews who saw Rings agreed with me.

This is what happens when a 287 page book is turned into a 9+ hours of movie, when the plot is substantially altered to allow for the addition of 6+ hours of filler material and "over the top" action sequences, with many good elements (I called it "charm" in a previous post) of the story removed in the name of making it the LOTR prequel.

Possibly this is so because the book itself was just not as good. I recall that it took me a long time to get into the book and reach the point where it became a page turner; maybe around Lake-town because I like water and fantastic dwellings. Perhaps Tolkien was still building up a head of creative steam when he wrote it and was still working out his world creation algorithms. :)

Blasphemy! :p The Hobbit was written as a children's book. Although related, it's nature is completely different than the LOTR. Peter Jackson was the wrong person to direct this adaption, burt I'll acknowledge that whomever had directed, once the decision to turn this fairly short story into three, 3+ hr movies, the story that I love and cherish was doomed. Hopefully I'm not coming across as too emotional. It's just a movie (blast PJ!). ;)

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
This is what happens when a 287 page book is turned into a 9+ hours of movie, when the plot is substantially altered to allow for the addition of 6+ hours of filler material and "over the top" action sequences, with many good elements (I called it "charm" in a previous post) of the story removed in the name of making it the LOTR prequel.

Blasphemy! :p The Hobbit was written as a children's book. Although related, it's nature is completely different than the LOTR. Peter Jackson was the wrong person to direct this adaption, burt I'll acknowledge that whomever had directed, once the decision to turn this fairly short story into three, 3+ hr movies, the story that I love and cherish was doomed. Hopefully I'm not coming across as too emotional. It's just a movie (blast PJ!). ;)

As someone who also loves this novel, I do not think the italicized points are too emotional. Peter Jackson did NOT want to direct the Hobbit to begin with. Unfortunately, he and his 'scriptwriting' team were already entrenched.(I use that team loosely since Phillipa Boyens' $*(@&$ ideas are largely what brought down some great characters in actions and look.)

I wish Warners risked bringing in a new screenwriter and director and waited to tell this story until they could do so in a way that was not so chaotic and forced.

Every time I see Hellboy 2 now, I think what if. That had a beautiful fantasy world and love stories that worked in the context of the film and the characters. I think the same thing with X-Men First Class which was written, cast and produced in 10 months and turned out great.

I have slight hopes that TABA will be Bilbo and Thorin's story in some manner I recognize, it is disappointing to have the right cast, but the wrong director/screenwriters on board. Yeah, they're just movies.

But they could have been so much more.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I read the book many years ago, but it seems to be reasonably faithful to the book.

You should read it again now that you have seen the movie. I would say about 33% of the second movie was faithful to the book (the first movie was somewhat better in following the book).

It was a fair action movie but, it should not be named after the book. I also rated it as a good Blu-ray rental movie instead of spending a lot seeing it in the theater.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.