Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fastsavage

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
I've got say built it yourself then you know exactly what you have... plenty of resources out there to help and if there are future changes in OS's...well you could be a pioneer in helping to sort them out

ELMI0001

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
Olympic Hills GC
Another chiming in and saying "build it yourself" - use a TonyMacx86 Golden Build, there's a list of components on their website that work flawlessly with OS X, and detailed threads from most of the users as to how they got each of their builds working. I can vouch for the ease of some of TonyMac's builds. I've worked with difficult builds, such as laptops and unsupported boards, and I also have my own that was a recommended build. I can safely say that anything TonyMac recommends in the Buyers Guide works without a hassle. Quite honestly, installing OS X on my custom desktop was easier than installing Windows on my Mac Pro.

Also recommend Micro Center. Great deals on CPU bundles. I also know for a fact they stock compatible Gigabyte boards.

I'm planning on using a TonyMacx86 Golden Build to build my own in the New Year. I've never built before but I've replaced and installed new components plenty of times and feel that qualifies me for the task.

Aside from following the forums any other advice/tips you can give?

Derpage

Suspended
Mar 7, 2012
I'd build it myself in order to familiarize myself with the parts and make sure everything is in working order. You will learn a lot that will help you down the road if something were to go wrong or need replacing.

sboerup

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
If you go the hackintosh route, I would highly recommend finding a "golden build" on the forum and sticking to it. It'll save you loads of headaches.

However, even though I successfully built one, like others have said, if something goes wrong then it just sucks. I sold it and returned to the apple computer side and am happy. Waiting for my nMP which is more than 2x as expensive as a Hack.

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
I'm planning on using a TonyMacx86 Golden Build to build my own in the New Year. I've never built before but I've replaced and installed new components plenty of times and feel that qualifies me for the task.

Aside from following the forums any other advice/tips you can give?

Do your research, and read up on how the OS X system works. Golden builds make things SUPER easy, but things can get grey when you try to dual boot off the same drive, or something like that. It really helps to just read up on stuff. Watch a few guides on YouTube or something, Linus Tech Tips has great build guides, and Roche Technology does Hackintosh build guides. Just play them on a side monitor or something while you're working. They're pretty interesting.

ELMI0001

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
Olympic Hills GC
Do your research, and read up on how the OS X system works. Golden builds make things SUPER easy, but things can get grey when you try to dual boot off the same drive, or something like that. It really helps to just read up on stuff. Watch a few guides on YouTube or something, Linus Tech Tips has great build guides, and Roche Technology does Hackintosh build guides. Just play them on a side monitor or something while you're working. They're pretty interesting.

Thanks for the tips. I'm excited/nervous to give it a shot

I could go Mac Mini and throw in an extra hard drive and call it good but where's the satisfaction in that??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.