CBS to Stream NFL Playoff Games to Macs and Tablets for First Time - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:09 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

CBS to Stream NFL Playoff Games to Macs and Tablets for First Time

CBS announced today that it will stream its full slate of NFL playoff games to PCs and tablets for the first time, beginning with a wildcard game this weekend.

The coverage will include all the network's AFC playoff games including one wildcard game, plus its coverage of the divisional and championship rounds.

The network will carry Sunday's Chargers v. Bengals tilt at 1:05PM EST, plus both divisional round games at Denver and New England on January 11 and 12, and the AFC Championship game on January 19.

The games will be viewable on CBSSports.com, but, due to the slim chance of non-sold out games, it remains a possibility that the games will be blacked out in some areas.

The NFL is hugely popular in the United States, with NFL-related content accounting for 9 of the top 10 most-watched TV programs of 2013.

Article Link: CBS to Stream NFL Playoff Games to Macs and Tablets for First Time
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:11 PM   #2
ob81
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ob81 Send a message via MSN to ob81
Thank goodness. I cut the cable a year ago and was prepared to hit up some sports bars to watch the games. Thanks CBS!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:12 PM   #3
cmChimera
macrumors 68000

No cable subscription necessary? Is this real life?
cmChimera is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:19 PM   #4
chirpie
macrumors 6502a

Sweet! I wonder if airplay will be disabled on the app?

Also, ad supported content? It's just like the good old days!
chirpie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:24 PM   #5
Lord Hamsa
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmChimera View Post
No cable subscription necessary? Is this real life?
Well, in theory, since they're a broadcast network, you should be able to watch the game over antenna virtually anywhere in the country. This is a lot different from the "cable" channels that do not broadcast OTA.
Lord Hamsa is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:25 PM   #6
binaryspiral
macrumors newbie

Talking

Well, I can finally remove this from my bucket called "Why aren't they doing this..."

And add it to the short list of "About ***** time..."

Seriously, play ads - just like the TV experience, but stream it! Seriously - get behind this with Chrome TV and Apple TV apps, Smart TV apps, push it to every TV and tell the cable and satellite companies to go jump off a cliff.
binaryspiral is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:27 PM   #7
Tilpots
macrumors 68040

Amen!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:28 PM   #8
cmChimera
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Hamsa View Post
Well, in theory, since they're a broadcast network, you should be able to watch the game over antenna virtually anywhere in the country. This is a lot different from the "cable" channels that do not broadcast OTA.
I know that you are right, but this hasn't stopped any number of companies requiring cable subscriptions for streaming, and also suing Aereo.
cmChimera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:31 PM   #9
NoCleverSNForMe
macrumors regular

Way to go, CBS!!
NoCleverSNForMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:31 PM   #10
FirstNTenderbit
macrumors 6502

This is pretty darn sweet. Especially if you are a cord cutter. Plus I can Cast this from MBA to TV and still use my laptop.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:54 PM   #11
Rogifan
macrumors 604

How about Fox?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 01:11 PM   #12
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

I literally just canceled my satellite service an hour ago. This is awesome. Would be nice if it was to Apple TV, but I can AirPlay that stuff!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 01:14 PM   #13
mpantone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
How about Fox?
I'm pretty sure MacRumors would have mentioned Fox if there was anything to report about vis-a-vis NFL streaming on iOS devices.

The fact that they didn't leads me to believe that Fox did not concurrently announce anything when CBS did.
mpantone is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 02:17 PM   #14
dannyyankou
macrumors 68000

I know what I'll be doing during my lunch breaks
dannyyankou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 02:19 PM   #15
solarguy17
macrumors 6502

Anyone know if NbC is doing this also. They have in the past. But I haven't seen anything about this year.
solarguy17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 03:12 PM   #16
Old Muley
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
How about Fox?
Fox would be awesome, if not for anything other than the fact that the Packer v. 49'ers game could potentially be blacked out here in Titletown, U.S.A. First time since '83 if it happens.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 03:17 PM   #17
truettray
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Hamsa View Post
Correct.. however in my area the only channel I pickup OTA is a Southern Gospel music channel... so this is pretty exciting!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 03:46 PM   #18
UnfetteredMind
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Muley View Post
Fox would be awesome, if not for anything other than the fact that the Packer v. 49'ers game could potentially be blacked out here in Titletown, U.S.A. First time since '83 if it happens.
For that to happen, the game would have to not sell out, correct? That seems unlikely in Green Bay, no?
UnfetteredMind is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 04:18 PM   #19
jlgolson
Editor

Send a message via AIM to jlgolson
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfetteredMind View Post
For that to happen, the game would have to not sell out, correct? That seems unlikely in Green Bay, no?
Green Bay, Indy and Cincinnati have been given an extension on the blackout, they need to sell 3k seats per team before Friday to avoid it.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 04:27 PM   #20
UnfetteredMind
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgolson View Post
Green Bay, Indy and Cincinnati have been given an extension on the blackout, they need to sell 3k seats per team before Friday to avoid it.
Quote:
NFL rules say they if the game isn't sold out by 72 hours prior to kickoff there will be a blackout in local TV markets, including Green Bay, the Fox Cities, Milwaukee and Wausau. The deadline is 3:40 p.m. Thursday with 7,500 tickets yet to be sold. The Packers could ask for a deadline extension.

With a long waiting list for season tickets, not selling out a playoff game is an unusual scenario for the Green Bay Packers. The last time a Packers home game didn't sell out was in January 1983 when they hosted the St. Louis Cardinals in a first-round playoff game in a strike-shortened season.
Surprising to me they didn't sell out by Thursday considering how regular season tickets are crazy to even get (passed down through families, you can be on the waiting list for many years before getting a chance to buy season tickets). Hopefully they sell out so those folks can watch (as well as the other teams you mentioned).
UnfetteredMind is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 04:38 PM   #21
Rogifan
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfetteredMind View Post
Surprising to me they didn't sell out by Thursday considering how regular season tickets are crazy to even get (passed down through families, you can be on the waiting list for many years before getting a chance to buy season tickets). Hopefully they sell out so those folks can watch (as well as the other teams you mentioned).
Well according to the latest weather forecast the high temp in Green Bay on Sunday is supposed to be -2F. That's brutal even for Green Bay.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 06:44 PM   #22
hipnetic
macrumors 6502

I want to watch the Chiefs game, but they're on NBC. I'm in a difficult situation where I may be on the road (4 hour road trip). I can have my wife drive for a bit towards the end of the trip so that I can stream the game, and I have the NFL Sunday Ticket app. Does anyone here have experience with that and know if that game will be shown? I'm not sure if that app shows playoff games at all (since they may assume you can watch it on the major network) and/or if they might block it if there's a blackout (even though I'm not in either the KC or Indianapolis market). Anyone know?
hipnetic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 07:23 PM   #23
iRun26.2
macrumors 6502a

This truly is awesome news! Lets hope this starts a trend in coming years. It should push the other networks to do the same.

I'm surprised the NFL allows this, though since they would never let regular season games go to just anyone

What about iPhones? Would I still be able to watch it on my iPhone?

----------

Quote:
Well according to the latest weather forecast the high temp in Green Bay on Sunday is supposed to be -2F. That's brutal even for Green Bay.
It is pretty cold in general in the area. The low that night in Green Bay is supposed to be -19F (and that's not adjusted for win chill).

I don't have tickets and will be happy to watch it my TV or iOS device.
iRun26.2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 09:47 PM   #24
Rogifan
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRun26.2 View Post
It is pretty cold in general in the area. The low that night in Green Bay is supposed to be -19F (and that's not adjusted for win chill).

I don't have tickets and will be happy to watch it my TV or iOS device.
I know, I live in Minnesota. High of -9 on Sunday.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:18 AM   #25
slapple
macrumors 6502

CBS does it for March Madness, so why not the NFL playoffs?
slapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion