Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

cbssports.png
CBS announced today that it will stream its full slate of NFL playoff games to PCs and tablets for the first time, beginning with a wildcard game this weekend.

The coverage will include all the network's AFC playoff games including one wildcard game, plus its coverage of the divisional and championship rounds.

The network will carry Sunday's Chargers v. Bengals tilt at 1:05PM EST, plus both divisional round games at Denver and New England on January 11 and 12, and the AFC Championship game on January 19.

The games will be viewable on CBSSports.com, but, due to the slim chance of non-sold out games, it remains a possibility that the games will be blacked out in some areas.

The NFL is hugely popular in the United States, with NFL-related content accounting for 9 of the top 10 most-watched TV programs of 2013.

Article Link: CBS to Stream NFL Playoff Games to Macs and Tablets for First Time

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
Thank goodness. I cut the cable a year ago and was prepared to hit up some sports bars to watch the games. Thanks CBS!

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
Sweet! I wonder if airplay will be disabled on the app?

Also, ad supported content? It's just like the good old days!

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
No cable subscription necessary? Is this real life?

Well, in theory, since they're a broadcast network, you should be able to watch the game over antenna virtually anywhere in the country. This is a lot different from the "cable" channels that do not broadcast OTA.

binaryspiral

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2012
Well, I can finally remove this from my bucket called "Why aren't they doing this..."

And add it to the short list of "About ***** time..."

Seriously, play ads - just like the TV experience, but stream it! Seriously - get behind this with Chrome TV and Apple TV apps, Smart TV apps, push it to every TV and tell the cable and satellite companies to go jump off a cliff.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Well, in theory, since they're a broadcast network, you should be able to watch the game over antenna virtually anywhere in the country. This is a lot different from the "cable" channels that do not broadcast OTA.

I know that you are right, but this hasn't stopped any number of companies requiring cable subscriptions for streaming, and also suing Aereo.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I literally just canceled my satellite service an hour ago. This is awesome. Would be nice if it was to Apple TV, but I can AirPlay that stuff!

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
How about Fox?
I'm pretty sure MacRumors would have mentioned Fox if there was anything to report about vis-a-vis NFL streaming on iOS devices.

The fact that they didn't leads me to believe that Fox did not concurrently announce anything when CBS did.

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Anyone know if NbC is doing this also. They have in the past. But I haven't seen anything about this year.

truettray

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2012
USA

Correct.. however in my area the only channel I pickup OTA is a Southern Gospel music channel... so this is pretty exciting!

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
Fox would be awesome, if not for anything other than the fact that the Packer v. 49'ers game could potentially be blacked out here in Titletown, U.S.A. First time since '83 if it happens.

For that to happen, the game would have to not sell out, correct? That seems unlikely in Green Bay, no?

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
Green Bay, Indy and Cincinnati have been given an extension on the blackout, they need to sell 3k seats per team before Friday to avoid it.

NFL rules say they if the game isn't sold out by 72 hours prior to kickoff there will be a blackout in local TV markets, including Green Bay, the Fox Cities, Milwaukee and Wausau. The deadline is 3:40 p.m. Thursday with 7,500 tickets yet to be sold. The Packers could ask for a deadline extension.

With a long waiting list for season tickets, not selling out a playoff game is an unusual scenario for the Green Bay Packers. The last time a Packers home game didn't sell out was in January 1983 when they hosted the St. Louis Cardinals in a first-round playoff game in a strike-shortened season.

Surprising to me they didn't sell out by Thursday considering how regular season tickets are crazy to even get (passed down through families, you can be on the waiting list for many years before getting a chance to buy season tickets). Hopefully they sell out so those folks can watch (as well as the other teams you mentioned).

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Surprising to me they didn't sell out by Thursday considering how regular season tickets are crazy to even get (passed down through families, you can be on the waiting list for many years before getting a chance to buy season tickets). Hopefully they sell out so those folks can watch (as well as the other teams you mentioned).

Well according to the latest weather forecast the high temp in Green Bay on Sunday is supposed to be -2F. That's brutal even for Green Bay.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
I want to watch the Chiefs game, but they're on NBC. I'm in a difficult situation where I may be on the road (4 hour road trip). I can have my wife drive for a bit towards the end of the trip so that I can stream the game, and I have the NFL Sunday Ticket app. Does anyone here have experience with that and know if that game will be shown? I'm not sure if that app shows playoff games at all (since they may assume you can watch it on the major network) and/or if they might block it if there's a blackout (even though I'm not in either the KC or Indianapolis market). Anyone know?

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
This truly is awesome news! Lets hope this starts a trend in coming years. It should push the other networks to do the same.

I'm surprised the NFL allows this, though since they would never let regular season games go to just anyone

What about iPhones? Would I still be able to watch it on my iPhone?

----------

Well according to the latest weather forecast the high temp in Green Bay on Sunday is supposed to be -2F. That's brutal even for Green Bay.

It is pretty cold in general in the area. The low that night in Green Bay is supposed to be -19F (and that's not adjusted for win chill).

I don't have tickets and will be happy to watch it my TV or iOS device. :)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It is pretty cold in general in the area. The low that night in Green Bay is supposed to be -19F (and that's not adjusted for win chill).

I don't have tickets and will be happy to watch it my TV or iOS device. :)

I know, I live in Minnesota. High of -9 on Sunday. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.