Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
So for Christmas my mom got me this third party 6ft lightning - usb cord. I would have been worried about using it, but most of the reports I've heard of have been with the wall adaptor itself, not simply the cord. Though half the time I plug it into my computer I get a message saying charging isn't supported, then it works right when I plug it back in. Anyway, so I guess my mom also gave me a wall adaptor, third party. And not just one from Walmart or something, it looks like one of those ones you that's caused an iPhone to blow up. I'm not trying to be stingy or spoiled, I just don't want my phone to blow up or to get electrocuted.

Any thoughts? Does it look safe?

Attachments

• third party iphone~usb~wall.JPG
    third party iphone~usb~wall.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 235

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I don't think any of us can conclusively determine if it's safe or not by looking at a photo. It's your call whether to use it or not.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
It will ether work or it won't work. It's not a bomb.:D

You really missed out on all the third party power adaptors that would "work," only to harm the device or the user after a short while, huh?

----------

I don't think any of us can conclusively determine if it's safe or not by looking at a photo. It's your call whether to use it or not.

Here's another one if it can possibly show some more insight!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 103

hansonjohn590

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2013
I would have no problems using a third party cable. Worst happens, it simply won't work.

As far as wall plugs, you are 99% safe.

That one story about the Chinese lady who got electrocuted - she was charging and using her phone after taking a shower. That's just Darwin right there.

Use your charger normally, and you (and your phone) will be fine. Unless your house has a really ****** third world electrical system. Then you might want to stay away.

Last edited:

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
I would have no problems using a third party cable. Worst happens, it simply won't work.

I think the danger really is worse than it just not working, but I don't know that it's a really huge risk either.

Here's a great blog post from Ken Shirriff where he tore down a real apple charger as well as a number of fake ones and what he found surprised me a bit. Some of the fake chargers had very little space between the high voltage components and the low voltage components... much less than is allowed by the FCC and there is a danger that 120V could be delivered through the lightening cable. There is also a significant difference in power quality provided by some of the counterfeit chargers.

http://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-dozen-usb-chargers-in-lab-apple-is.html
http://www.righto.com/2012/03/inside-cheap-phone-charger-and-why-you.html

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Just don't use it.

In the end, the advice you get here will only get you so far...we are not experts that can guarantee anything. Your safest bet would be just not to use it.

24hrpizza

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2013
Go ahead and use it if you like playing Russian roulette

lololololol

----------

So for Christmas my mom got me this third party 6ft lightning - usb cord. I would have been worried about using it, but most of the reports I've heard of have been with the wall adaptor itself, not simply the cord. Though half the time I plug it into my computer I get a message saying charging isn't supported, then it works right when I plug it back in. Anyway, so I guess my mom also gave me a wall adaptor, third party. And not just one from Walmart or something, it looks like one of those ones you that's caused an iPhone to blow up. I'm not trying to be stingy or spoiled, I just don't want my phone to blow up or to get electrocuted.

Any thoughts? Does it look safe?

Probably will work, not for very long though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.