Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exornata

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2013
On my jailbroken ios6 device, I like to personalize my app icons. With most apps, this is no problem--I just find the icon png file (which may be called icon@2x~iphone.png or some such) and replace it with my own .png of the same size. But I've got a WebClip app for which I can replace the icon, but as soon as I invoke the app, it changes the icon back. I've tried toggling and also deleting icon entries in the info.plist file, but that file too is always reverted to its original state as soon as I leave the app. I went so far as to change the permissions on my icon.png file to 444 (read-only), assuming that if the app didn't have write permission, when it went to overwrite the icon, it would at least hang. But it didn't. What gives???

red beard

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2014
Hi. To change Web Clip icon you don't even need to jailbreak the iPhone. You just need to enable developer mode on safari then manipulate website you are trying to bookmark. By manipulate I mean adding a line of code to point what should be the icon. The code is something like
Code:
<link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="the address of the icon goes here"/>
. Then save it and you will have your desired icon. Also I opened that link several times and it doesn't change. There is a detailed blogpost on how to do this in here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.