Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Just upgraded from iPad 3 on 6.1.2 jailbroken to rMini on 7.1b2 jailbroken as of last week.

Love it!

Can't express that enough. Plus just having sold my iPad 3, I can say it was a good leap for me as I've been using my tablet so much outside of my apartment, something that was cumbersome to accomplish for my iPad 3 in the past.

Woo hoo!

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
Can you elaborate? I have a 3rd gen with a cracked screen and am on the horns of either getting the rMini or the Air.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Me too!!

Coincidentally , just today I did the same thing! I spent a lot of time playing with the Air and the rMini at the Apple store. Both are nice, of course, but I could not just did not think the Air was enough of an upgrade. My 3 had a super screen, and is fast enough for my main use of books, internet, email, and videos.

The rMini, however, is a radical departure from the 3. Wow, the size and weight are REALLY different that the 3. To nitpick the 3 has higher gamut (from all the threads I read) but really, if I do not look at them right next to each other I do not notice anything.

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Yep performance increase and form factor.

I liked first gen mini but a5 and non retina combined were both sort of deal breakers and ultimately why I returned mine.

Plus I'm glad I don't have to have the debate stay 6.1.2 or go iOS 7, because rMini comes with iOS 7.

And 7.1b2 has been working so buttery and well for the most part. I enjoy having updated APIs.

Last edited:

knguye11

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
Apple should discontinue the non-Retina models and let the people enjoy the clear screen.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
You guys are awful.

I might pick one up tomorrow.

Have come from an iPad 3 to an iPad mini, I much preferred the size and feel of the mini, just wished it had a retina display. Will be purchasing a retina mini today and passing on my mini to my mother.

Much much prefer the form factor of the mini over the larger iPad.

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2013
Apple should discontinue the non-Retina models and let the people enjoy the clear screen.

I think that's what everyone was expecting when the Air was announced, but Tim Cook said, when asked why the iPad 2 is still in the line up, that people are still buying it. I agree with you in that just having nice screens as the norm would be great though :) I'm going to upgrade my mini to rMini when I'm next in the USA. It's sooooo much cheaper with you guys than in the UK :)

Alex

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I think that's what everyone was expecting when the Air was announced, but Tim Cook said, when asked why the iPad 2 is still in the line up, that people are still buying it. I agree with you in that just having nice screens as the norm would be great though :) I'm going to upgrade my mini to rMini when I'm next in the USA. It's sooooo much cheaper with you guys than in the UK :)

Alex

How much does an iPad cost in the uk?

adammull

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
Just left my iPad 3 and got my rMini last week.

I have no idea why Apple stills makes a full size iPad. A retina display was all the mini was missing. It's now perfect. I literally use it all day and take it everywhere.

rajpatel

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2013
Y'all are like the man who leaves his faithful wife of twenty yrs for a hot young blonde. The full size ipad far outsells little bro. On amazon, there are 120 reviews for Air vs about ten for your much ballyhooed rmini.

I had the rmini for a month. I thought it was great for everything except web browsing. Web browsing is something I like to do a few hours a week and learn about the world. I especially miss the mini for tv and movies, which it was perfect for, and also books, again perfect for that and better than Air and also it was great for music. The Air does all these things great also but not as well as mini in my opinion, however for web browsing in general it's far and away the better of the two and since I need an all in one device I am much happier with the Air but I will always miss the mini some or a lot.

DaCurmudgen

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2012
I'm a huge rMini fan and also a convert from an iPad 3. In fact, I used our iPad 3 this morning and noticed the PPI difference between the two -- the rMini is that much sharper. Don't get me wrong, the iPad 3 screen is gorgeous, too, but I didn't expect to notice any difference between the two.

For me, the big sell of the rMini is the ability to slip it into my coat pocket and have it with me wherever I am. Because of this, I've managed to create so much more than I did with the iPad 3. I can always capture ideas, tackle a few emails in transit, do a quick look up on a restaurant or bar when I pass by ... essentially anything. I know that I can do that with my iPhone, too, but I like reading on an rMini more, and just love that it has nearly the same specs as the full-sized Air.

The color gamut and image retention issues don't affect my day-to-day usage, so I just find myself using it happily. Glad there are others out there, too!

smooth

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Detroit
If I were you I would go with air. I have a iPad 3 won't be upgrading but I would go with the air. It's light thin and you keep the 9.7 inch display.

I also have an iPad 3 that I won't be upgrading. After I got mine, my kids got the minis and I loved the size of it. But at the time, I was mainly just reading on mine. Since then it has almost become a laptop replacement and I don't think I'd want to give up the screen real estate. When I do upgrade, I will most likely stick with the 9.7 model, whatever it may be called then.

skillwill

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
The rMini starts at £319, or $530. I can't justify that when I'll be hitting the USA soon where I can get a rMini 32Gb for not much more than I paid for my 16 Gb Mini !

Alex

It is still cheaper but in the interests of accuracy our prices already include VAT (sales tax) where as the prices displayed for US iPads don't so the difference isn't as big as this makes it look

gsxrpilot

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2011
Agreed...

The iPad 3 went to the wife who likes the bigger screen for watching videos. I use the iPad for reading, work and as a Nav device in the airplane. The rMini is much better for those. We're both very happy with the arrangement.

Cheers,

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2013
It is still cheaper but in the interests of accuracy our prices already include VAT (sales tax) where as the prices displayed for US iPads don't so the difference isn't as big as this makes it look

Oh man, I TOTALLY hadn't thought of that! Good spot! Now I'm going to have to re-evaluate costs.

Thanks,
Alex

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA

$500 for the 32GB, Pennsylvania does 6% sales tax so that's $530. Seems like the same to me. Some states have 10% sales tax.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.