Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I hope Verizon gets in on this also. It is about time for some good ole fashion carrier wars that will actually benefit the consumers.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
x1000.

T-Mobile can be cutting all their margins as thin as they want, but it only hurts themselves. Having Legere has their puppet doesn't cost them much, but network upgrades do. They can't afford to improve their network if they keep lowering prices and letting everyone onto their network.

Exactly why all European carriers are bankrupt.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Is AT&T getting into a legal grey area with this move? I can see the DOJ having a problem with a very large competitor targeting the smallest national carrier without making the same offer available to customers of the other two large carriers.

T-Mobile just recently targeting AT&T with a somewhat similar type offer. AT&T is just responding.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
This is a perfect example of why competition is good. Thank goodness AT&T didn't get to buy T-Mobile.

jgross78

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2014
Has anything actually changed?

So with this whole up to 450$ in savings AT&T is offering, is no one else seeing the irony in the fact that when you buy let's say an iPhone from them, they are already taking 400$ off the retail price of that device with the signing of the contract or plan. So does this just mean that customers end up paying around the same price for the phone anyway? A 16GB 5s would cost 649$ outright with no plan... So take away 450$ from that and you have your regular 199$ pricing, just seems like a way for them to say they are saving you money, and to just keep doing the same thing.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
double catch

Two catches:

1. Your iPhone, unless it's a 4s, is worth much much more than $250, so getting $250 for a 'trade in' is not a good deal.

2. You have to pay either full price, be part of the failed Next program $$, or bring your own device to get the $200 credit, so if you do #1 above, you probably won't qualify for this.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
I tried this switch last year between April-May and their service was just god awful in SLC, UT. So bad in fact, I couldn't get decent data in 90+% of the locations I went within the SLC Valley.

I went from AT&T, T-Mobile to VZ. VZ also sucks.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Nah, we're good.

Some of us can actually do math, figure out TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) during the research stage.

:D

Amen, and btw, more and more of my friends, who never cared before, have been asking me 'how did you do it' when I broke my contract and went prepaid. A lot of people are rializing they are getting screwed over with phone bills close to $100

hcoteen2008

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
Texas
So with this whole up to 450$ in savings AT&T is offering, is no one else seeing the irony in the fact that when you buy let's say an iPhone from them, they are already taking 400$ off the retail price of that device with the signing of the contract or plan. So does this just mean that customers end up paying around the same price for the phone anyway? A 16GB 5s would cost 649$ outright with no plan... So take away 450$ from that and you have your regular 199$ pricing, just seems like a way for them to say they are saving you money, and to just keep doing the same thing.

AT&T employee here. To partake in this promotion, you must either BYOD, participate in AT&T Next, or buy a device at retail price. 2-year contracts are not included in this promotion.

itr81

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
If rumors are to believed...AT&T will be buying or merging Vodaphone within 3-4 yrs along with moving from post-paid to pre-paid phones. The other rumors running are AT&T is polishing up so it can sell its self off after project VIP is completed within 3 yrs leaving only the business and cell phone business..similar to what just occurred in CT fire sell to Frontier Communications.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Is this the first time AT&T has actually offered to pay money to customers instead of taking more away?

They are still taking more away. Quick napkin math would show that best case scenario you are out by $130 or so:
* Say you joined T-Mo during the April Promo and got the iPhone 5 for $0 down, $25 per month.
* If you switch, you owe T-Mo around $250 (phone balance), but you trade in and you get $250 so that evens out
* Now, you have one of two options with AT&T (let's assume a 5c to be consistent):
1. Sign new 2 year contract, you won't qualify for the $200 credit, and you would pay $136 for the new iPhone 5c
2. Buy device at full retail, $550, you get $200 credit making the device cost $350

I am assuming your bill is around $75 in both carriers ($50 + $25 in T-Mo, $75 for a 'decent' AT&T package)

I think this only makes sense for people who don't have good T-Mo coverage and need to jump ship, $100 or $200 is a good price to switch carriers

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
I'm happy for T-Mobile. But they do need lower frequencies in order to get me to switch. Building penetration is poor, or non existent in many areas.

If AT&T really wants to hit below the belt, all they need to do mention EDGE coverage from T-Mobile or even GPRS.

AT&T is evil, and pricey, and lame, but they do have better service in most areas and their signals go a lot farther than T-Mobile's. Hopefully T-Mobile can change that.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Hope Sprint doesn't buy T-Mobile. Only three major carriers is a loss for the consumer. How does this even happen?

In 1982 AT&T was broken up into the baby bells. Now AT&T has acquired many of them, and Verizon, which was Bell Atlantic, ended up acquiring many of the rest. And yet somehow they're all coming back together. I'm usually not one for lots of government intervention, but perhaps another breakup is warranted?

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Somebody must be feeling a little revenue hit; small no doubt, but enough to nudge them into offering a little incentive.

If Sprint goes thru with their planned acquisition of T-Mob, and such a deal is approved by the FCC and DoJ, I would certainly hope they would eventually integrate both business units, and convert all of their networks to GSM. Sprint and T-Mob combined would have more resources to improve their networks, with wider LTE coverage, and this would make them a realistic alternative for those who are currently only sticking with AT&T and Verizon because of their better coverage.

Gotta love competition; a consumer's best 'friend'.

Yakuzahi

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2010
Shucks! Just switched to ATT two weeks ago from T-Mobile!

Had no issues with TMobile, voice was great, WiFi calling was great but their Data coverage sucked. I thought I could live with it as I already knew this from their coverage map. But I couldn't!

TMobile, other than these tricks... increase your coverage!

Where do you live? area?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
If T-Mobile has coverage in your area, you'd be crazy to use AT&T.

I say that as an AT&T customer.

itr81

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Somebody must be feeling a little revenue hit; small no doubt, but enough to nudge them into offering a little incentive.

If Sprint goes thru with their planned acquisition of T-Mob, and such a deal is approved by the FCC and DoJ, I would certainly hope they would eventually integrate both business units, and convert all of their networks to GSM. Sprint and T-Mob combined would have more resources to improve their networks, with wider LTE coverage, and this would make them a realistic alternative for those who are currently only sticking with AT&T and Verizon because of their better coverage.

Gotta love competition; a consumer's best 'friend'.

After Soft Bank bought Sprint I would think they would slow down their acquisitions since they just increased their own debt with Sprint's debt. I'm not sure they want to take on even more debt from T-mobile

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Seems like too little too late... I guess no one is falling for the family shared plan. It actually would have raised our rates and given us less data.

LOL, shared plans saved me a ton and I have several friends who have also saved quite a bit so do you care to disclose whether you work for Verizon or T-Mobile?

jgross78

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2014
Still doesn't make a difference.

AT&T employee here. To partake in this promotion, you must either BYOD, participate in AT&T Next, or buy a device at retail price. 2-year contracts are not included in this promotion.

So then unless you have a device that is 2 years old or older (qualifying you for an upgrade anyway) You are basically being given next to nothing for a device that is worth more. This is being labeled as a credit however, it's just a different way of setting the same price points of the 2 year contract accounts, for everyone else. The numbers add up to it all. There is plenty of evidence of this, and none that you are actually saving anything at all with this deal. More like being stolen from.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I've been "field testing" with T-Mobile's free iPad data plan and get LTE from them everywhere I normally would want data. Once my ATT contract is up in March, I'm gone.

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
New customers have to sign for mobile share plan at AT&T (this is the only option AT&T offers for new contracts).
2GB Data + Unlimited talk and text = $95 before taxes. Compare it to $50 from T-Mobile. That's $45X24 months (contract) = $1080 - $450 credit = $630 or $315 loss per year for this move (pre tax).

Every additional smartphone adds $40 to the plan and shares this 2GB, unlike T-Mobile where you get additional line with 2GB data for $40 (goes down by $10 for each additional line).

Line costs go down with AT&T also. With T-Mobile, you get the T-Mobile network. No thanks!

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
LOL, shared plans saved me a ton and I have several friends who have also saved quite a bit so do you care to disclose whether you work for Verizon or T-Mobile?

Here's a real world example buddy:
My sister and family have a 5 line family plan with AT&T. 4 lines are iPhones (two of which have 2gb of data and the other two have the mandatory 300mb). They have unlimited texting and I believe 700 minutes which translates to unlimited since they have a ton of rollover. Their bill is roughly $210 a month all-in with tax.
Now your turn. Show me the math where switching to a shared data plan "saves them a ton."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.