Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Speedy2

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2008
This analyst is so clueless if he really thinks Office is all it takes to conquer the enterprise IT market. There is so much more to it. Central administration, integration into the Microsoft server landscape, software distribution, enterprise-friendly license models, hardware distribution channels, enterprise-level support etc.

Apple isn't after enterprise, they know it's not their expertise.

snowboarder

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2007
If this doesn't run full Mac OS, it's useless as every other iPad.
Try to copy an image from your Mac to your iPad (using the moronic iTunes)
and do something with your image on your iPad.

Hardware is amazing, but their iOS is just purely unbelievably bad.
How can you not include any file system? How am I supposed to deal with my
files? Save a copy under each student written application?

Apple, please stop thinking all the users are stupid and bring back
full functionality to your great devices! So sick of your limitations.

nortofthe13th

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2014
I thought that Tim Cook made it abundantly clear that Apple wouldn't be heading in the "Surface direction" with their product line, because it ends up compromising both tablets and laptops when you do so. I swear he said that during the Mavericks unveil back in June or July.
Yep. He most definitely did.
I love the idea of a larger iPad! Being a designer, but a "hybrid" is not the answer and sounds like this analyst is begging for attention.
Better functionality to use the iPad as an external display, and iOS 8 sound perfect to me.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Apple needs to realize that spin-offs of old, but successful, products does not equate to progress, innovation, or growth.

what on earth are you talking about? apple constantly improves their successful product lines thru iterative improvement until years later you have a product that completely outshines the original in every way. thats progress, grown, and innovation. these things dont improve themselves.

ex: the iPod has gotten smaller and better than the original. macs, check. iPads, check. iPhone has expanded into two products, and whether you like that or not they're two of the top-selling handsets for US carriers.

apple is the most successful tech firm in the history of the planet. i think they're getting on just fine w/o business advice some peeps on MR.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011

LOL! :D (It's so true all one can do is laugh).

I use an iPad as a "field" device for work. Holy crap... the hoops I have to jump my freaking files through just to get them converted and usable by other apps.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
It'll be very interesting if a directly enterprise focused iPad release by Apple gives Microsoft pause in releasing Office for iOS. On one hand, it could be taking advantage of the inevitable. On the other, it could be handing Apple the keys to Microsoft's enterprise kingdom.
what you guys overlook is that Microsoft has high walls between it's various divisions. the Xbox guys don't talk to the Windows guys. The Office guys do not talk to the Surface guys.
This is not some bureaucratic goof.
It is an intentional strategy to protect against anti-trust prosecution.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
Apple doesn't make products that focus on the Enterprise. They target consumers. They target the end user. While this may be a product that's Enterprise-friendly, it will not be marketed as such.

(Okay. there was the xServe. But that was taken out behind the barn and mercifully put out of its misery.)

IF this becomes a thing, here's what I predict:

At your desk, you have a docking station. It has a couple of USB ports and an audio jack on the back. You can either have a Bluetooth keyboard/trackpad or a wired one. (A mouse might be problematic). You could hook a printer or scanner or whatever up to one of the USB ports, or print wirelessly.

The large iPad would have a lightning port on both the bottom and side.

When placed in the dock, you can control the iPad with the keyboard and trackpad. Or at least just the keyboard (via arrow keys).

I don't forsee a iOS/OS X hybrid device. Too many problems with apps not being compatible between the two.

I don't forsee a device that only allows touch input. Too problematic - especially when sitting at a desk.

Of course, one could ask why this setup isn't already available for existing iPads...

------------------------

One more thing. Office for the iPad is going to be a subscription service. That's going to displease a lot of people.

Last edited:

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
A tablet with a keyboard (ie Surface or iPad with keyboard) is called a Laptop! I'm sure Apple will do something different than just creating a removable keyboard.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
I'm curious as to the price of a 12inch iPad. It would be dangerously close to the MBA.

They would have to lower the prices of the regular iPads across the range and slot the 12inch at the top.

If the iPad Mini became $199 regularly, the rest of the industry would be in a world of hurt.

Why would they have to lower their prices?
$299 iPad mini
$399 iPad rMini
$499 iPad Air
$699 iPad Pro
$999 MBA

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Never mind a hybrid OS (which could be done well, but not without opening a can of worms ala microsoft). Imagine a Mac Pro with 2-3 screens. One of them looks like a giant ipad and can be picked up and carried around. Used like a wireless Wacom Cintiq for any number of graphic uses, powered by the Mac. Then turn off the remote screen app and you're back in iOS, with local content, apps, and hardware. Like having a laptop workstation, only more portable + more powerful. Anyone know if AC wireless runs 4K res?

Swazaloo

Cancelled
Jan 3, 2014

This is very easy to do, just toss the image into your Photo Stream and it will appear on all of your devices.

I used to feel the same way you do. I have come to realized that it just requires a different way of thinking. Create a document in Pages and it is automatically saved in the cloud, easily accessible on all of your devices. A file system is no longer needed. I understand more advanced users may still require a file system for certain activities. (I am a web developer and couldn't dream of working in an environment without one.) But iPads are not meant to be used for those kinds of activities.

Again, if you asked me a few years ago I would be fighting the good fight with you. I am getting older now, and I want things to just work. My time is valuable and I don't want to waste it configuring options and setting things up. I have to applaud Apple, it is challenging to create programs that are easy to use yet very powerful.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Apple isn't after enterprise, they know it's not their expertise.

not necessarily true -- see all the Exchange, security, and remote wipe/deployment support they've added to iOS over the years. that is not used by most consumers at all.

----------

if you think apple is going to bring back the file system metaphor on their wildly successful iOS, you're living in an alternate reality. the reason my dad can even use an iPhone is the departure from all that crap.

cars, and trucks. sounds like you need a truck.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Why is only the CPU being used as a cost savings example? Why is the LCD touch going from 11% of cost in MacBook Air up to 30% of cost in iPad not being addressed too. That completely nullifies Wang's cost savings argument.

Now increase that display price by another 10% because any iPad Pro won't be worthy of its name unless it's using a 4k touch display.

ctrlshft

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2010
I just want OSX on a tablet, that's it. Integrate more with iOS as needed, whatevs.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin

What was the last Apple product "focused on enterprise"?

The Xserve.

126740-vms-09xerveopen.png

A 12-inch iPad would fail for the same reason.

Enterprises shop for bullet points, not unquantifiable soft qualities.

trekkie604

macrumors 68000
Feb 25, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
I doubt they would go for a hybrid tabled/laptop... Look how well the surface is doing for MS...

What would be interesting is if they made a 12" JumboPad that could double as a second screen for someone's > 13" Macbook. So you'd have a big iPad screen propped up with a smartcover/case and the laptop next to it. Like many of those renders showed.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Just curious if this Whang dude has been accurate in predictions before?

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Are you guys getting it? The rumored 12" iPad and the rumored 12" Retina MacBook Air could essentially be the same product. It would also fall in nicely with the release of a breakthrough OS X 10.10.

Seems there'd be too much of an overlap between a 12" Retina iPad hybrid and the 12" Retina MacBook Air, or what do you think?

Either way, I'm really excited to see what Apple has up their sleeve. :D

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
I want a full Mac computer (whatever form factor), not a iOS toy (whatever form factor).

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I doubt they would go for a hybrid tabled/laptop... Look how well the surface is doing for MS...

What would be interesting is if they made a 12" JumboPad that could double as a second screen for someone's > 13" Macbook. So you'd have a big iPad screen propped up with a smartcover/case and the laptop next to it. Like many of those renders showed.

The Surface 2 pro is amazing. I've used it next to an iPad and it is a much better tool for working. It's ugly, but it is probably the best tablet I've used for creating anything instead if consuming info.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
OSX on an ARM processor? Possible but highly unlikely IMO.
In any case the beauty of the iPad is in IOS. If one needs OSX they should get a Mac. The MBA is hardly much bigger or heavier than the suggested iPad 12"
As for IOS not having a traditional file system, well, that's the whole point. It is meant to work with iTunes and iCloud and it does so beautifully.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.