Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I have an iPhone 5S running 7.0.4; it was set up from my old iPhone 5's restore and worked fine until I installed 7.1b2 (UDID registered) ... Suddenly my outgoing FaceTime audio stopped working (FaceTime Audio worked, but FaceTime video calls had no outgoing audio - my callers couldn't hear me, but I could hear them, unless I used headphones with a mic). I deleted all settings and that did the trick, for about a day. So I finally restored back to 7.0.4 and restored a pre-beta 7.1 backup. The exact same thing kept happening, so I finally just did a DFU restore and now I'm having yet another problem.

My iPhone 5S, freshly restored to 7.0.4 and set up as a new phone, refuses to sync iCloud keyboard shortcuts. These are the troubleshooting steps I've taken:

• reboot iPhone
  • hard reboot (holding power+home)
  • reset all settings
  • delete iCloud account
  • disable syncing Documents and Data
  • reboot again
  • reset Documents and Data at iCloud.com
  • reboot all iCloud devices

Nothing helps. My iMac (running 10.9.1) and iPad 3 (iOS 7.0.4) are able to sync keyboard shortcuts just fine; only the iPhone 5S - freshly restored! - is unable to sync keyboard shortcuts.

Any ideas? This is driving me nuts. First no outgoing audio in FaceTime and now this. :mad:

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Tried another restore and set up as a new phone, didn't work. Then tried yet another restore and restore from backup, also didn't work.

I set up a new iCloud account on my Mac, created a text shortcut, and signed in on my iPhone - it worked fine. Seriously, WTF?! Why does my primary iCloud account no longer work (it's worked perfectly since I created it back in the .Mac days) but other accounts are fine?

goonie4life9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
I'm experiencing the exact same issue with my iPad Air (minus the syncing working after creating a new account). I have been working with a Senior Advisor for two weeks. We have ruled out hardware. Apple Engineering is now looking into the iOS software and iCloud.

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Thanks for the reply! I'm glad to know it's not just me! :)

Some more oddities I found today: my iPhone won't sync any shortcuts, neither will my iPad. My iMac will sync with my MBA, but the MacBook won't sync shortcuts created on the iMac. Also, one shortcut created on my iPhone did show on my iMac but only one.

This whole experience has been truly bizarre.

goonie4life9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Thanks for the reply! I'm glad to know it's not just me! :)

Some more oddities I found today: my iPhone won't sync any shortcuts, neither will my iPad. My iMac will sync with my MBA, but the MacBook won't sync shortcuts created on the iMac. Also, one shortcut created on my iPhone did show on my iMac but only one.

This whole experience has been truly bizarre.

All of a sudden my shortcuts started syncing properly. I sent Apple engineers some device logs a few days ago. I haven't heard anything back but they may have made done tweaks on their end.

Have your shortcuts started syncing properly?

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
All of a sudden my shortcuts started syncing properly. I sent Apple engineers some device logs a few days ago. I haven't heard anything back but they may have made done tweaks on their end.

No such luck here. I wonder what they did for you that got it working ...

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan

Ok, they're syncing now! And it only took three weeks ;)

I don't know what happened (and I'm not at home so I can't check my Macs) but my iPad now shows all the shortcuts I (re)made on my iPhone. Yay!

wjereb

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2012
Are your changes syncing immediately? I made a change on my iPhone and I still haven't seen the shortcut on my iPad. But I made a change on the iPad and the iPhone was updated almost immediately.

Matty1

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2014
I have this exact same problem. I started with hundreds of keyboard shortcuts on my iPhone. I turned on "Documents & Data" in iCloud on my iPhone, iPad and iMac. Syncing was working fine between my iPad and iMac but nothing was transferring from my iPhone to my other devices. So I switched off "Documents & Data" on my iPhone and switched it back on. That caused all of my keyboard shortcuts to be wiped from my iPhone. Has anyone discovered a resolution to this issue? How do I get my shortcuts back onto my iPhone? They appear to be intact on my iMac and iPad.

seattlejoe7

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2014
I just upgraded my iPhone from 7.1.1 to 7.1.2 ... lost all of the keyboard shortcuts from the phone. The shortcuts still exist on my iPad and on my Mac. It's truly bizarre how many are stumbling around trying to find a fix, and Apple seems not to have noticed.

That said, I still cannot get my keyboard shortcuts back on my iPhone.

Matty1

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2014
I had the exact same issue as you. I lost the shortcuts from my phone but they were on my iPad. They were still intact on iCloud. I rang Apple support and from memory, they got me to switch off iCloud on my phone and switch it back on. This didn't resolve it immediately but sometime later, they magically reappeared on my phone. It's hopelessly unreliable. I hope they get this and many other things right with iOS 8.

seattlejoe7

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2014
I had the exact same issue as you. I lost the shortcuts from my phone but they were on my iPad. They were still intact on iCloud. I rang Apple support and from memory, they got me to switch off iCloud on my phone and switch it back on. This didn't resolve it immediately but sometime later, they magically reappeared on my phone. It's hopelessly unreliable. I hope they get this and many other things right with iOS 8.

Just how do you switch off iCloud on the phone? I can see how to switch off/on what is stored in iCloud, but not how to outright turn it off.

"-?

----------

I just realized that I have iCloud backup turned OFF on the phone. (Yes, I figured out where to turn it on/off). I hope this doesn't cause my other devices to lose their keyboard shortcuts?!?!?

Matty1

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2014
Try switching off "Documents & Data" under iCloud and switching it back on. That's the iCloud setting that needs to be active for keyboard shortcuts to sync. I think from memory that's what I did. The only way of switching iCloud off appears to be to delete the account off the phone and I don't recall doing that.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
I upgraded my iPad 4 to iOS 7.1.2 (from iOS 6.1.4) last nite and my shortcuts were also missing. All I did to get them back was to touch on Shortcuts in Settings, go to the next screen and then go back and all of my shortcuts were there.

Last edited:

Matty1

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2014
I upgraded my iPad 4 to iOS 7.1.2 (from iOS 6.1.4) last nite and my shortcuts were also missing. All I did to get them back was to touch on Shortcuts in Settings, go to the next screen and them go back and all of my shortcuts were there.

I'm interested to know this for next time. Which is the next screen that you are talking about? The only next screen once you click on "Shortcuts" is the add new shortcut screen.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
That's the screen that I meant.

The same thing that I described happened yesterday when I activated my new iPhone 6 using a just-made backup of iPhone 5. At first all of the shortcuts were missing, so I went to the screen that allows you to add a new shortcut (as you mentioned) but didn't create anything. Backed out of those settings. After about 10 minutes I went back into the Keyboard > Shortcuts settings and they were all there. I was relieved because this happened on iOS 7.1.2 and then on iOS 8.

Matty1

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2014
That's the screen that I meant.

The same thing that I described happened yesterday when I activated my new iPhone 6 using a just-made backup of iPhone 5. At first all of the shortcuts were missing, so I went to the screen that allows you to add a new shortcut (as you mentioned) but didn't create anything. Backed out of those settings. After about 10 minutes I went back into the Keyboard > Shortcuts settings and they were all there. I was relieved because this happened on iOS 7.1.2 and then on iOS 8.

I don't think this has anything to do with going into the shortcuts because last time this happened to me I did that and they reappeared like a day later.

smorsebbt

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
Lost ALL Shortcuts when installing IOS 8 on my IPhone 4S

After installig IOS 8 ALL of my shortcuts were wiped out! I called Verizon and they put me on hold while they called Apple Support. They got back to me and said Apple support knows that Shortcuts get wiped out with this IOS 8 and there is NO known remedy! I have like 500 I have created over the years and it is a second language that i have LOST. HELP????:mad: Good news is that they are still on my IPad 4 and I am NOT upgrading that for fear of losing the whole thing (although I have a very similar group on my Outlook AutoCorrect that gets backed up every day by my company.

Matty1

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2014
Don't panic. They should still be sitting on iCloud. My shortcuts were restored after losing them. Is iCloud switched on? Is Documents & Data switched on? Have you tried the suggestions in this thread?

ManDate

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Same issue here and have been trying to find a solution for days!!! Driving me crazy. I have searched Apple community threads like a madman. HELP!

erio

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2004
Yup, same problem!

According to iCloud Help: "If your documents and data stored in iCloud aren’t the same on all your devices set up for iCloud Documents & Data, you can reset iCloud Documents & Data and restore with documents and data from your devices. This process doesn’t delete documents or data and doesn’t affect document changes you’ve made"

Yeah, I have the same problem. I spent over an hour with AppleCare, looking for Restore & Reset Data at iCloud.com settings. Apparently, it's missing and they forgot about it.

I remember doing this when I had problems with my new iPhone 4s (back then) "forgetting" my keyboard shortcuts. AppleCare rep said to report it as a bug, so Apple will look at it. Here's the link: https://bugreport.apple.com. Hopefully, this will all get sorted out soon!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.