Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
When I connect my Macbook Pro directly to my modem and use speedtest.net:

- I got 22.56Mbps download and 2.26 upload speeds

Using WiFi on the same Macbook Pro:
- I got 22.56 Mbps download and 2.38 Mbps upload speeds

1. How do I get the same speed when connected directly to the modem as I do via WiFi?
2. How is this speed considered? Is it poor, OK, good?

Thanks.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
It's a fairly fast connection.

The reason it's as fast on wifi as it is directly connected to the modem, is that wifi has much more bandwidth that your internet connection. It could be up to 450mbps (or more with the latest 802.12ac modes). (Real-world rates would be ~50% of that.) Compare that to your 22mbps Internet connection, and you can see there is a lot of headroom left before it would saturate the wifi connection.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
1.) The part I'm still confused by is if my internet connection hits 22.56Mbps at my modem, shouldn't it lose some of its speed after being sent from the modem to the Airport Extreme N and to my Mac?

2.) Based on my speed, is there any advantage to upgrading to an Extreme A/C?

Thank you.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You can see that your browsing speed is not limited by your wireless connection, but might be some limitation in your router or modem.
Your wireless can send and receive much faster than your internet connection. If you go to a wireless router that can use the faster ac connection - that assumes that your MBPro also has that ac card.
And, you still won't get a faster internet than your internet connection provides. That ultimately will determine the speeds that you see through an internet speed test.
You CAN use faster wireless for sharing files with another wireless computer. You would then get transfer speeds depending on the wireless cards in your computers, not limited by your internet connection.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
1.) So if I understand correctly, based on my current internet connection speed, I will not benefit from the A/C Airport speeds?

2.) If I understand correctly, if I have an Airport A/C I would be able to share files among Macs with A/C cards faster?

Thanks.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
1. You are already not getting (complete) full use from what you are using now.
Will there be some additional benefit from an ac router (assuming that all your computers have ac wireless cards)?
Yes. You can expect improved reliability of your wireless network, because of enhancements to the wireless protocols, which you would then be able to take advantage of. One of those would likely be an apparent (maybe real) improvement in your internet performance.
If you are currently deciding if you want to upgrade your wireless connection, then why not proceed with that?

2. Yes, you should expect faster communication within your own network.

All that may then push you to upgrade your internet connection, too, which may mean upgrading your modem…. Is your technology treating you OK now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.