Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

budala15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
I want to get a case that gives me the lightest option. Any help is appreciated!

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
MoKo Apple iPad Air Case - Slim-Fit Case

I've had this case for a month now. Pretty light weight... very functional. Well worth the $25 dollars I paid on Amazon. Just read some of the 2000 plus reviews to know that this is a well liked case.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
1. Kavaj Berlin weighs: Black: 136g - 4.79726 oz Cognac: 144g - 5.07945 oz.
2. Yoobao leather. Not sure on this one but due to no hard shell should be pretty light.
3. Apple Smart case. 145g or 5.1 oz.
4. Poetic slimline. 179g or 6.3 oz.

I think if you do some research where the cases are actually weighed you'll see these as being around 6 oz. or less. Many others listed are great and well liked cases but also heavier.

Last edited:

budala15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
A .1 ounce difference isn't all that much. What do you mean?

7 oz. compared to 5 oz. is almost a 30% increase in weight. Now 2 oz. is a bit ridiculous to even make a difference, right? But you asked, so I'm just saying. I have both the Kavaj and the Poetic slimline and the Kavaj definitely feels lighter. Could be due of the soft back as well.

budala15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
7 oz. compared to 5 oz. is almost a 30% increase in weight. Now 2 oz. is a bit ridiculous to even make a difference, right? But you asked, so I'm just saying. I have both the Kavaj and the Poetic slimline and the Kavaj definitely feels lighter. Could be due of the soft back as well.

The Moko actually looks and feels great, but it's heavy. Why did you choose the Poetic over the Moko?

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
The Moko actually looks and feels great, but it's heavy. Why did you choose the Poetic over the Moko?

Actually chose the Poetic as it was recommended on a thread here. It was the second case I bought. At this point, I've tried way too many cases and for the first time ever, ended up with no case but a skin and a Smart Cover. I'm really loving this combination. I can easily swap out covers for different color options and when I don't need a stand can take it off. Then I have on stand by a Poetic frosted white back only, if I feel I need extra protection out and about or when the grandkids are over.

It's really silly when you are splitting hairs over ounces but with the Air so light and thin it's hard to bulk it up.

budala15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
Air-lightest case options

Actually chose the Poetic as it was recommended on a thread here. It was the second case I bought. At this point, I've tried way too many cases and for the first time ever, ended up with no case but a skin and a Smart Cover. I'm really loving this combination. I can easily swap out covers for different color options and when I don't need a stand can take it off. Then I have on stand by a Poetic frosted white back only, if I feel I need extra protection out and about or when the grandkids are over.

It's really silly when you are splitting hairs over ounces but with the Air so light and thin it's hard to bulk it up.

That was my thought exactly what type of skin do you have. I am thinking about doing it this way vs a full case. Would you agree that full cases overall are heavier than a skin and a Smart Cover?( Apple or third party)

----------

----------

amyhazu7.jpg

I was thinking about this one for the back.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Mine is a real skin, not a cover. I have the white carbon fiber style now from Bodyguardz but also have a white leather type on order from Sticker Boy. I love the skin and Smart Cover combo - very lightweight and slim. Only scratch and no drop protection from a skin. But that's where I also have a Poetic back only to use over the skin if I'm out and about or the grandkids are over.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    677.6 KB · Views: 168

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
1. Kavaj Berlin weighs: Black: 136g - 4.79726 oz Cognac: 144g - 5.07945 oz.
2. Yoobao leather. Not sure on this one but due to no hard shell should be pretty light.
3. Apple Smart case. 145g or 5.1 oz.
4. Poetic slimline. 179g or 6.3 oz.

I think if you do some research where the cases are actually weighed you'll see these as being around 6 oz. or less. Many others listed are great and well liked cases but also heavier.

I might buy the Smartcase for strictly that 1 less ounce as opposed to other similar cases of its kind, maybe. Having a hard time doing it though as it's a cheap case and not worth it's price tag really.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I might buy the Smartcase for strictly that 1 less ounce as opposed to other similar cases of its kind, maybe. Having a hard time doing it though as it's a cheap case and not worth it's price tag really.

If you really want a case, I would agree that the Smart Case is the lightest and best design combination. If you are buying in person, double check the quality and also play around with it to make sure the weak magnets in the stand modes won't drive you crazy. I pretty much never use the upright mode but even in the typing mode and just holding it with the tri-fold, it would kick out on me probably a third of the time and I would have to refold it. That's what really drove me crazy and prompted returning both for the covers instead.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
If you really want a case, I would agree that the Smart Case is the lightest and best design combination. If you are buying in person, double check the quality and also play around with it to make sure the weak magnets in the stand modes won't drive you crazy. I pretty much never use the upright mode but even in the typing mode and just holding it with the tri-fold, it would kick out on me probably a third of the time and I would have to refold it. That's what really drove me crazy and prompted returning both for the covers instead.
See then reading this totally puts me off, while the typing mode isn't something I always use you expect it to work correctly given the price tag. How many did you run through before deciding it is what it is? Is there folks out there with some that actually stand for the most part in the "typing" position?

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
See then reading this totally puts me off, while the typing mode isn't something I always use you expect it to work correctly given the price tag. How many did you run through before deciding it is what it is? Is there folks out there with some that actually stand for the most part in the "typing" position?

Don't get me wrong, it not that the case is useless in the trifold stands, just not as secure as the Smart Cover or even the Poetic case cover. And with the Smart case, I would just have to refold every now and again. Not the end of the world, it totally might not bug you like it did me. If you're buying in the store, try it out.

I actually had the two Smart cases, one in black and the other in red. The black one was better all around than the red. It didn't have any noticeable defects in the leather and the trifold did hold better than the red. On the red, my daughter picked up the first one for me and it had several black spots throughout the leather. The second red one was better quality but still not perfect - had some black spots but way smaller than the first one and also came with a couple of small scratches on one of the corners.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010

I see, so how about the Kavaj Nh, good experience thus far? Does lint or any dust/dirt get stuck between the bezel frame that's covered by the case? Not that I'm eating Cheetos over my iPad lol but I'd hate to have to constantly pull it out and clean it which is why I usually avoid these types of cases. I like the lightness of it though it's pretty much coming down to the Smartcase (prob go black after hearing that) or the Kavaj unless something else pops up.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I see, so how about the Kavaj Nh, good experience thus far? Does lint or any dust/dirt get stuck between the bezel frame that's covered by the case? Not that I'm eating Cheetos over my iPad lol but I'd hate to have to constantly pull it out and clean it which is why I usually avoid these types of cases. I like the lightness of it though it's pretty much coming down to the Smartcase (prob go black after hearing that) or the Kavaj unless something else pops up.

I really liked the Kavaj other than the problems with the thread. My husband and I have 4 Kavajs with unraveling thread. My last one was perfect when I received it, but the thread started coming apart where the stitching attaches the cover to the back within 3 days of use. I'm not rough at all with things so there is definitely a problem with stress on the thread in that area or faulty thread. I hadn't noticed any issue with stuff getting under the bezel. The bezel on the Kavaj is pretty tight to the screen. I guess if I still was using the case and was concerned, I would remove it once a month and wipe it down.

I liked the Smart Case 2nd to the Kavaj but it had it's problems as well. The magnets aren't strong enough and the trifold not stable enough. I had two red ones with quality defects in the leather. My black one was definitely better quality. I only used that one for around a week before returning it. What I did notice was a bit of gray discoloration on the white plastic antenna part of my iPad. I can only contribute the discoloration to the black case as the area where the cutout for the mic is stayed totally white. Now the discoloration isn't terrible and maybe not noticeable to someone unless it was pointed out. But I could see it and nothing removes it. It's covered up now with my faux carbon fiber skin so not visible now. So if you have the LTE version in silver, just a problem to point out that I had.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.