Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sand King

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2013
Dubai
Listed my address as a business address, so what do DHL go and do? Attempt a delivery at 7pm! Strange as it is normal of couriers here to call you before they attempt to deliver.
Hopefully they should be sending it out for delivery again today.

MyAppleWorld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Birmingham, UK
Ordered BTO on UK apple store today and got a 24hr shipping because they are stocking certain BTO models! Should be here tomorrow! If I'd ordered yesterday it said 1 week!

I got the i5/256/8gb. I don't get why people buy the i7 in this config.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
I was in this exact same boat as you are.

I figured if I get another one with a faulty screen I'll just return it and get the rMBP. I wouldn't be happy for the exact same reason as well. I just prefer the portability of the Air (0,5lb on paper is not 0,5lb in your bag you carry around all day) and the form factor.

I really hope you get one with an acceptable screen.

Well, I had returned it for a refund and Apple sent me a replacement! :eek:

I was going to return it.. and then out of curiosity I just opened it at work and checked for the flickering and its not as bad as the prev one. Very little and I can live with that.

Bummer.. or so I thought when I looked at the LCD manufacturer. It was LG. Having gotten used to the bluish tinted Samsung screens... I switched the color profle to Generic RGB and voila.. it became a Samsung Screen.

Updating to Mavericks right now.. will know how i feel about it as time goes...

So am back to MBA camp! :D

Last edited:

1990eam

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
I'm about to order a MBA 13´ but I can't decide between free shipping or store pickup. I'm not home for most of the day so it could take several visits until they find me home.

But if I happen to chose store pickup and later on need it to be shipped because I can't come to the store, can I do that or I'm screwed already?

Sand King

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2013
Dubai
I'm about to order a MBA 13´ but I can't decide between free shipping or store pickup. I'm not home for most of the day so it could take several visits until they find me home.

But if I happen to chose store pickup and later on need it to be shipped because I can't come to the store, can I do that or I'm screwed already?

I rang DHL the morning after one failed attempted at a delivery, they had it with me about 3 hours later at my office.

1990eam

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
If I order the 8/256/i7 on Black Friday is there any chance it is available to pick up from a store the next Monday?

goomba478

macrumors regular
May 10, 2012
My wife's PC finally kicked the bucket so she's getting her first MacBook Air. I went with a refurb for the first time: 11"/256/i7/8GB 2013 June model. Going to be a crazy upgrade from what she's used to and best of all I somehow got shipping upgraded for free to Monday delivery. Can't wait :).

july142

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2013
So after about 2 years of using a 14.4" hp dv6 (i5, 6gb, 700gb, fingerprint reader blahhhh blahhh blahh) I could not take the hassle of taking it where I want to at what feels like 6 pounds of bulk. What I found funny when I bought the hp was that it looked like a macbook pro, silver metal with light-up hp logo on bottom left side. More importantly I swore I was going to take the i5 power to friends houses to show off some work, etc…. DIDNT happen too frequently so I've come to the conclusion that i do most of my music ,gaming, video work on my windows 7 desktop, and surfing the web/research/typing/even image editing I do mostly on my laptop…. So the Macbook made perfect Sense for me !!! I never owned a iPhone, iPad, nor any apple computer. But after using the trackpad, and the mac o.s. I lOVE this machine!! The workflow makes so much sense to increase productivity. So much features that i have to learn, and a couple other performance test need to be done. After using it I see why you pay a premium for it over a 600 dollar windows laptop. Macbook book air i5 4gb 128gb

dazcox5181

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005
Essex, UK
Ordered the i5/8gb/256 from Stormfront in Romford on the 20th. Still not got order confirmation (have my invoice) they promised to send or a tracking ref. when I popped in to ask for it yesterday was told it was on the managers email and nothing they could do. Spoke to manager today who said he'd been off 3 days and had a lot to catch up on. Poor him. They quoted a week, but I'm seriously doubting it. Shame as it would have been 24hr shipping from App,e online and the stores near me probably had it in stock :( that will teach me.

sofakng

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
Just picked up a 11/4GB/256GB from Best Buy using their $150 off Black Friday sale. I would have liked 8 GB of RAM but I think I'll be fine since this is only going to be used on the couch for very, very light stuff.

I also debated immensely between the 11" and 13". Because this is an "iPad replacement" and going to be used on the couch 90% of the time, I like the small form factor of the 11" and that I can just put it almost anywhere and it's nice and small so hopefully I don't regret it!

thomapa1

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2010
Just ordered MBA 13" screen

4GB memory
256MB storage

B&H Photo, no shipping cost, no tax
$1,196

Best Buy charged tax and did not honor educational discount today.
many other stores charged tax.

Bought for son who is entering college soon - lucky kid!

imsyBarracuda

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2013
Ordered the 11" MBA with 4gb and 256 ssd.
101 euros off the list price in France on Friday. Still being processed.
Expected delivery between 9th and 11th Dec.

This will be used as a secondary machine for mainly browsing and emails.
Plan to get the Mac pro around January.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Got my MBA today. Its a full spec refurb. The battery charge cycle is 34. I find that a little high... what do you guys think?

I sold my 2012 MBA after a year and I just had 50 cycles. Wondering how come a new/demo/return refurb unit has 34 cycles....

When I bought my refurb Unibody MacBook in 2010, it had a couple of battery cycles already, it was around the same as yours too. I wouldn't worry about it, so far my battery has lasted me pretty long (about 3 years now) with no trouble; I hardly notice that it's only 88% capacity left on my battery. :-D

mercyou

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2013
Just ordered my first Macbook Air.

Have used an 2010 Mac Pro 15inch i5 for the last year at work and have decided to buy my own machine for home use and for traveling next year.

Ordered an 13inch Macbook Air i7 with 8GB of ram and 128GB Flash Drive.

Reason for only going with 128GB on the drive is because anything I save I will be saving to a portable HDD when on the go, and a wireless NAS when at home so the 128gb size limit shouldn't affect me too much.

Went with the i7 processor because I will be doing a bit of photo and video editing and the memory so it doesn't restrict me in the future.

Unfortunately I haven't owned a Mac for personal use before so any recommendations would be appreciated :)

Oh and the order is currently sitting on preparing for shipment so guessing it should be shipped out tomorrow (Apparently it's expected to arrive on either the 6th or the 9th)

MSFT

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2013
Picked up my refurb MBA 13/i5/4/128 the other day. Opened the box to make sure it is all there, but can't turn it on until tomorrow morning! ;)

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2010
Ordered a 11'' MBA with 8GB a few days ago. Apples email said it would get to me the 2nd/3rd, UPS tracking thinks the 27th :) yay!

mugatu22

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
I just ordered the i5/8gb/128 13"MBA, coming from a 2008 15"MBP that feels like it weighs 20lbs.

RedWings

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Just ordered a 13" i5/256GB/8GB

Received an iPad Air for a birthday present but I have never been a fan of iPads or iOS. So I returned it and will put the money toward the MBA. Going to retire my 13" MBP that I bought in June 2009. This thing has been a beast and I don't know what I'll do with it. Don't want to sell it since it has been good to me.

Trt740

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2014
Ohio
My first Macbook.

Just bought a Macbook Air 13 mid 2011 with a year of Apple Care on it. The battery had only 64 cycles on it. It is a I5/ 4gb /128 gb version, and it was originally purchased in 2012. Not a mark on it and the deal included an Air Jacket Case and a Speck See Through Satin Cases. I payed $660 shipped. It is really nice, and man is it better than any windows machine I have ever owned. The battery goes about 5 to 6 hours on charge with basic web browsing. Any advice for a new owner. FYI, it does click a bit on the bottom right side when I pick it up, but from what I understand that is very common. I have heard it has something to do with a clip inside the case holding the hard drive. I find myself using the heck out of it and now wonder if I should return my Ipad Mini 32 gb Retina. I used to use it to record my classes and take notes but now I think this Macbook will do that just as well.

Last edited:

PortableOne.com

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2014
Pleasanton, CA
11" MacBook Air

I finally took a crack at an 11" MacBook Air. I've been traveling with a 2012 13" MBA and love it, but find that it doesn't always fit in all hotel safes... Any way, the 2013 11" MBA was snappier and a great form factor for traveling and the battery life was awesome. As expected it fit in the hotel safe last week and my 13" surely wouldn't have -

However, I found it too small to be productive. It was ok for a quick thing here and there, but to spend a couple hours doing actual work was tough. I'm keeping the 13" and will likely upgrade on the next release.

Lammercy

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
Just bought a Macbook Air 13 mid 2011 with a year of Apple Care on it. The battery had only 64 cycles on it. It is a I5/ 4gb /128 gb version, and it was originally purchased in 2012. Not a mark on it and the deal included an Air Jacket Case and a Speck See Through Satin Cases. I payed $660 shipped. It is really nice, and man is it better than any windows machine I have ever owned. The battery goes about 6 to 7 hours on charge with basic web browsing. Any advice for a new owner. FYI, it does click a bit on the bottom right side when I pick it up, but from what I understand that is very common. I have heard it has something to do with a clip inside the case holding the hard drive. I find myself using the heck out of it and now wonder if I should return my Ipad Mini 32 gb Retina. I used to use it to record my classes and take notes but now I think this Macbook will do that just as well.

New MacBook owner as well. My MBP is the first MacBook I've owned. Just wondering since you said you used your iPad to record classes, do you have a MacBook for special purposes like graphic design or just for regular use? Got mine for just regular use as I'm a general liberal arts student. Thinking of taking my Pro back for an Air as I think it'll be more comfortable having to carry around in my backpack on one the largest college campuses in my state!

Trt740

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2014
Ohio
New MacBook owner as well. My MBP is the first MacBook I've owned. Just wondering since you said you used your iPad to record classes, do you have a MacBook for special purposes like graphic design or just for regular use? Got mine for just regular use as I'm a general liberal arts student. Thinking of taking my Pro back for an Air as I think it'll be more comfortable having to carry around in my backpack on one the largest college campuses in my state!

I use my iPad as my text book because it is a lot cheaper using kindle text books and decreases the weight of my backpack. I could go on and on about the advantage of Kindle textbooks over traditional text books, but I will not bore you. In addition, the program Notably erases the need for a paper pad and pencil. Plus, it records and time stamps the voice recording of what the teacher says as you write or type. I use my Mac Air as my main computer for school. I type my papers on it. I have typed several papers on my iPad, but I prefer the large screen of the Mac for editing and for word processing but it can be done. I am on my second go around at college, and I have trouble with my close up vision and the large Mac screen helps with that issue. Also, I was tired of the Windows junk I had purchased in the past. The Mac can also be used in a similar fashion to take notes on like the iPad; however, the iPad allows you a bit more comfort and portability and adds the use of a stylus for handwriting. The iPad has a better battery than my 2011 Mac, and I need a longer battery for some of the ten hour classes I take. This would not be an issue if you buy a new Mac with a 12 hour battery. I could not afford a new Mac and a lot of text books do not come in Mac X OS format. They do come in iOS format. I hope that makes sense. I realize I did say I was thinking about getting rid of my iPad Mini but that was tongue and cheek. You need the right tool for the right job. However, someone could easily disagree with me. Eventually, the iPad will replace the laptop but without a true word processor and office suite it cannot yet. That is precisely why Microsoft will not release Office for iPad.

Last edited:

studIOS5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Oregon, OH
Just purchased a mid 2012 MBA to replace my mid 2010 MacBook Pro (2.4ghz core2duo 4gb of ram). New machine has the 8gb of ram upgrade along with the 256gb ssd and 512mb intel 4000 graphics. WOW is all I can say. This machine is shocking to me. Only set me back 730 after shipping from eBay. Pretty stoked! Has AppleCare until February 1st 2016, 7 cycles on the battery, and is in literally perfect condition. I can't believe the deal I got!

Side note: how much do you recon my mid 2010 MacBook Pro is worth? Like I said its a mid 2010 pro 2.4ghz intel core2duo with 4gb of ram and the 250gb hard drive. I have the original box, restore disks, charger, and paperwork. In great shape minus a few dents on the bottom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.