Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Those that have issues reading ipads outside, are there no polarising screen protectors about ? I know back in the early iPhone days those and mirrored protectors were all the rage.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Matte screen protectors do help. I bought one for my galaxy S4 by mistake and left it on as it makes the screen better for reading. However they take away from the clarity of the screen so wouldn't put one on my iPad. Reading on my iPad mini for short stretches is fine but for anything longer than 20 minutes I need my kindle.

Before I got any ereaders or tablets I used to read on my iPhone. I remember going on vacation in 2009 and squinting into the sun trying to read on my iPhone 3G. The next year I got my first ereader and I've never looked back.

beautifulcoder

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2013
The Republic of Texas
I'm with snrub - When I can, I prefer to read books on my kobo aura hd (hacked with koreader) - like paperwhite, only higher resolution for pdfs

How does the experience compare to the iPad? I hear it supports a browser, is it any good? What about Pocket? There is no "Kobo Store" so have to resort to folks on the inter webs.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Performance & Specs

Under the hood, the Fire HDX 8.9-inch packs a 2.2 quad-core Snapdragon 800 processor with 2GB of RAM and a 400-MHz Adreno 320 graphics chip. Apple gave the iPad a superfast A7 chip with 64-bit architecture and paired it with a new M7 co-processor for motion tracking

On Geekbench 3, which measures a device’s overall performance, the HDX 8.9-inch scored 2,609 on the multicore test. That showing didn’t quite beat the Air’s score of 2,694. On 3DMark Ice Storm Unlimited, which measures graphics performance alone, the HDX 8.9-inch registered 12,786. But the iPad Air’s 14,850 score was far better. It took the Kindle Fire HDX 692.1 milliseconds to complete the Sunspider Javascript test, which is far longer than the iPad Air’s 383.5 ms.

In our experience, both devices offered a smooth experience moving from one app to another. While playing “Riptide GP 2″ on both devices, we enjoyed very realistic water effects. Opening “Despicable Me: Minion Rush” on the iPad Air took 9 seconds, compared with 11 seconds on the Fire HDX 8.9-inch. Switching between applications took the same number of taps and was complete in about 2 seconds on each device.

WINNER: iPad Air. The Kindle Fire HDX has a very zippy CPU, but the iPad Air just performs better across the board.

millar876

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2004
Kilmarnock, Scotland UK
I've got an ad air and a kindle paperwhite, I prefer to read on the kindle and I take it to work for reading at breaks and it fits in the knee pocket of my work trousers. And i use the ipad for everything else, I have air display on it so I can even use it as a monitor in a pinch

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
I use a paperwhite for focused reading, an iPad Air for work and a first gen iPad Mini as a backup/second screen. On the days I pack all three I still notice far less bulk than with a laptop.

Works for me.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
How does the experience compare to the iPad? I hear it supports a browser, is it any good? What about Pocket? There is no "Kobo Store" so have to resort to folks on the inter webs.

I'd call it unusable. Sure there's a browser, but I've used it once. My usage is to open a book, read a book, and repeat. For that, it's good. Koreader is a hack that does a bit nicer job of keeping the same zoom level on each page of a pdf.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.