Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 6, 2014, 01:19 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Pebble Announces Next-Generation $249 'Pebble Steel' Smart Watch

Pebble today announced its next-generation Pebble Smart Watch, the Pebble Steel, which features a stainless steel body with a leather or steel band and a face covered with the ultra durable and scratch resistant Gorilla Glass used in Apple's own products.

Along with a new metal or leather band, a deviation from the plastic band of the first-generation Pebble, the Pebble Steel features smaller side and top bezels for a slimmer, lighter profile. The Pebble Steel weighs 45 grams, two grams less than the original Pebble.

According to Pebble CEO Eric Migicovsky, who spoke to CNET, the Pebble Steel is designed to be a more formal version of the original Pebble.
Quote:
CEO Eric Migicovsky describes Steel as a more formal version of Pebble: "I'm going out for dinner, I'm wearing a suit, I've got a position that doesn't allow me to wear a plastic watch on my wrist. How do I benefit from a smartwatch? How do I get notifications and run all the apps that Pebble offers without having to put something that I don't prefer on my wrist. We took that as an industrial design problem. It wasn't really a software problem...We just had to build an aesthetically different Pebble."
The band is available in both brushed stainless steel and a matte black steel, along with black leather. Pebble Steel lasts for up to a week on a single charge and includes an LED indicator that displays battery life. Like the original Pebble, it is waterproof.

Along with the Steel, Pebble has announced that its app store will be available to users later in January. The company is also partnering with new companies to introduce a playback control app for Pandora, ESPN sports stats and box scores, and a car stats monitoring app from Mercedes.

Pebble Steel will begin shipping on January 28 for $249, a $100 premium over the existing Pebble watch. Pre-orders can be placed today on the Pebble website.

Article Link: Pebble Announces Next-Generation $249 'Pebble Steel' Smart Watch
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 01:20 PM   #2
TheGenerous
macrumors 6502a

I'm still preferring old fashion watches. They are better built and look great. These examples below cost less than the Pebble.

Last edited by TheGenerous; Jan 6, 2014 at 01:28 PM.
TheGenerous is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 01:20 PM   #3
bmunge
macrumors regular

Very cool design.
bmunge is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 01:21 PM   #4
prowlmedia
macrumors 6502a

Is this one of those videos in the running for the worst of the year?

Why can no one make a decent product video anymore!?

Watch looks ok. a bit 1970s - but not a bad thing!
prowlmedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 01:21 PM   #5
KylePowers
macrumors 68000

Not too shabby.
KylePowers is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 01:23 PM   #6
SandboxGeneral

That actually looks rather nice. I'm very picky when it comes to watches, so for me to say that I like the look of it, that's saying a lot.
SandboxGeneral is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 01:24 PM   #7
beherenow
macrumors newbie

Mac Rumors?

Shouldn't this have been posted to GenericTechRumors.com or PebbleRumors.com? I see the tenuous Apple link to iWatch, but com'on let's not dilute the subject.
beherenow is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 01:24 PM   #8
jreuschl
macrumors 6502

Looks nice. I love my Pebble but $100 above the original one seems a tad steep. Then again, some buy high end mechanical watches costing hundreds without blinking.
jreuschl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 01:25 PM   #9
things
macrumors newbie

70's pre-punk retro styling, not a period with a great fashion legacy

but then i can't see the attraction of smart watches, maybe there's a market for this sort of stuff, good luck to them
things is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 01:26 PM   #10
Black.Infinity
macrumors 6502

nice design
Old Jan 6, 2014, 01:26 PM   #11
Jamez1502
macrumors newbie

Hopefully we'll see many more wearables in the market this year that will drive the prices down. As much as I would love to own a pebble, 250 is way to steep for me.
Jamez1502 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 01:27 PM   #12
macrumors 6502

I'll be saving my pennies for the iWatch thank you.
3587 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 01:27 PM   #13
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by beherenow View Post
Shouldn't this have been posted to GenericTechRumors.com or PebbleRumors.com? I see the tenuous Apple link to iWatch, but com'on let's not dilute the subject.
1. The Pebble is also iPhone-compliant.

2. I have been contemplating with ordering the Pebble as it's GREAT value. However, I'll definitely wait for this new model.
Menneisyys2 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 01:29 PM   #14
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Still amazes me how this product is light years ahead of Samsung's wearable.
keysofanxiety is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 01:30 PM   #15
TheAppleFairy
macrumors 6502a

Finally a pebble that's "decent" looking. I will consider looking at these after I see what Apple puts on the table.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 01:30 PM   #16
Macalway
macrumors 6502a

I hate all watches except my $10 Casio. You know, that one that they have been selling for 30 years

When these get that light an unobtrusive i'll be all about them.

Same goes for eyewear
Macalway is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 01:31 PM   #17
fullstop102
macrumors member

Love it

I love my pebble watch as I have stated before. The black metal one actually looks very much like another watch I own. Maybe it is time to give my old pebble to a family member.

Also the live stream made me feel a little nervous for Eric. I see why even the showman that was Steve Jobs still ran mountains of rehearsals. Its not as easy as he used to make it look.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 01:31 PM   #18
theheadguy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to theheadguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by beherenow View Post
There's a simpler solution to your problem: scroll past this news story.
theheadguy is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 01:34 PM   #19
designaholic
macrumors regular

I just puked in my mouth a bit. Abysmal design.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 01:34 PM   #20
davidjearly
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreuschl View Post
Looks nice. I love my Pebble but $100 above the original one seems a tad steep. Then again, some buy high end mechanical watches costing hundreds without blinking.
Which is entirely different. Truly high-end, mechanical watches are an investment that will span generations. Not a piece of disposable modern tech.
davidjearly is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 01:35 PM   #21
tigres
macrumors 68040

Still wondering why smart watches are needed- especially if they have to ride on the coattails of the smart phone in your pocket.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 01:39 PM   #22
Wiesenlooser
macrumors 6502

eew... I think it kind of looks... pretty bad. I like the normal one more it is less pretentious.
Wiesenlooser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 01:40 PM   #23
beherenow
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigres View Post
Still wondering why smart watches are needed- especially if they have to ride on the coattails of the smart phone in your pocket.
I genuinely think they'll all fail based upon trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. It's like having a remote control for your car radio. The controls are there, right there!
beherenow is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 01:41 PM   #24
Stella
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamez1502 View Post
Hopefully we'll see many more wearables in the market this year that will drive the prices down. As much as I would love to own a pebble, 250 is way to steep for me.
The plastic ( original ) pebbles cost $149, if thats in your price range. Same functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigres View Post
Not everyone has their smartphone in their pocket… or available at hand.

Last edited by Stella; Jan 6, 2014 at 01:47 PM.
Stella is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 01:42 PM   #25
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGenerous View Post
I'm still preferring old fashion watches. They are better built and look great. These examples below cost less than the Pebble.
They also serve a different purpose and have (intentionally because they are jewelry) less functionality. Silly comparison. Smart Watches are not meant to be fashion or wealth statements.

---

Improvement on the Pebble's aesthetics. But still too think and clunky for my taste. I love how they keep steamrolling along but hope they don't end up getting steam rolled when/if Apple shows a smart watch.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion