Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Read the fine print: "Corning makes no direct or implied claims to protecting users or providing other health benefits."

No direct or implied claims... Advertising the product as anti-microbial/bacterial is a claim right there. Damn computer industry EULA-style language strikes again, disclaiming the very claims that sell the product, just so they have zero accountability.

And we don't need more antibacterial crap. That fad has created much more resistive bacteria, and more corporate profit based on fear, and not improved the state of health at all. Water and plain soap are already antibacterial.

----------

How about fingerprint proof glass?

And smudgeproof...?

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
id rather have a waterproof phone than a microbe-resistant phone.

talk about solving problems nobody has.

Exactly. A waterproof phone that you can clean off without voiding warranty >> a phone that tries to make it marginally less gross to not wash it off.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
The idea that everything we touch needs to be antibacterial or have antibacterial / antimicrobial properties is not good. It's why the FDA is going to crack down on soaps - because we need to be exposed if we want to build up tolerance or immunity to these things. The world isn't sterile, and we shouldn't be trying to make it such.

The number 1 ingredient in hand sanitizer is paranoia.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Unless it removes finger prints then its not that big off a deal. I would not pay a penny extra for glass that removes bacteria.

ownamac

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Reminds me of the research that kids raised in relatively dirty environments vs over-sanitized surroundings develop stronger immune systems. If sick, wash hands, and same before eating. Just don't stick your fingers in your mouth or rub eyes and nose when hands are dirty. Antimicrobial-mania may be our eventual undoing when the MRSA-on-steroids bugs evolve.

hsotnicam8002

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2008
United Kingdom
That means that there would be an app iSoap? That kills germs when you rub your skin with your iPhone.

I think that what they mean is that it is bacteriostatic, which means that it doesn't kill bacteria but instead doesn't allow it to multiply and germs just naturally die. One example of bacteriostatic material is copper, because of that property it is often used as water pipes.
You're wrong. http://microbewiki.kenyon.edu/index.php/Silver_as_an_Antimicrobial_Agent

Ckim111

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2014
Useless

So let's get this straight. The part of the phone which contains the LEAST amount go bacteria (the screen) will be cleaner but the rest of the phone like the backside will still be riddled with bacteria and whatever junk transfers from your hand? Talk about pointless

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
But what's the point when the Gorilla Glass will end up being coated in oleophobic material that scratches easily and is less sanitary?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I don't see how advertises can GET away with this.... "Touch on bacteria" ?

Look at all those germs :) :eek:

A glass with doesn't hold all finger prints would be better. This way you wouldn't need to wipe the screen ...

Solves me.... Do people know how such a device is a finger print magnet ? or even dust magnet for that matter.

The glass is a first start, but what about the rest ? The back is more important, because that's where they HOLD the device in hand..

Good technology, but better innovation needs work.

davis9981

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2013
I have a piece of Sapphire glass on my 5s, in terms of strength and scratches I'm blown away how good it is! I work In a very dusty high abrasive environment and my screen still looks as scratch free as the day I got it.

Best $60 I spent.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
The number 1 ingredient in hand sanitizer is paranoia.

Hand sanitizer is different. It's an antiseptic -- does not result in the same problems as adding antibiotics to everything. Resistance is a problem, so antibiotic use should be limited to essential uses only (but really, farm use was a much bigger issue until a few weeks ago when the FDA finally decided to intervene)

Hand sanitizers themselves make sense and can go a long way in preventing the spread of things like the flu if kept near doors and anything else we touch a lot

TyposphereScott

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2014
Read the fine print: "Corning makes no direct or implied claims to protecting users or providing other health benefits."

I think you are also miss-quoting there. They essentially have to place this, as they cannot guarantee that a person is protected from infection from everywhere, by using this device.

TyposphereScott

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2014
There seems to be a lot of small minded and limited thinking here.

While I can to some extent understand why everyone on here suddenly thinks this product is destined for use on the front of an iPad or iPhone, the fact is that this is a suggested possible use, and not exclusive use. So perhaps some people need to pull their head out of their butts a bit, and drop the 'finger-print proof would be more useful' crap. Not everything in the world is designed to make you life directly better, and to resolve your first world problems.

This IS a significant product. Touch screens - including iPads in use in Apple stores, are a major infection risk. TB and MRSA have been shown to be transmissible in these public environments.

The vast majority of infectious diseases is spread by people's hands. Ever worked in a hospital? The infection control unit will actually audit every area to ensure that people are washing their hands when they should be - which is roughly 200 to 300 times more a day than most people currently do.

In an oncology ward VRE can be easily spread by just sharing one device between two patients. Considering the increasing use in technology in these hospital environments, the touch screen is becoming a high risk area for infection spread.

So while I'm sure many of you cry yourself to sleep every night because your phone screen gets smudgy with fingerprints, personally I'd welcome any development in bacterial control any day in my line of work - which is nursing.

In regards to the soap issue that has been brought up. Yes, in that instance there is a limited reason for the anti-bacterial compound to be in soap. In fact, just washing your hands properly with proper soap is enough. But there is no parallel with that industry and what is happening here. This sort of development has real world application and demand.

----------

Totally not necessary. This whole germ and bacteria is totally blown out of proportion. If we remove all harmful germs and bacteria from our daily lives, we are going to get sick easier because our immune system is less active. Just recently, studies showed that washing your hands 20 times a day is not helpful in any way. The cleaner we live, the more allergy and flu instances we will have because our bodies don't react to harmful things on a regular basis.

This is absolute rubbish. There is no. And I mean NO .. peer reviewed research that backs up anything that you have said here.

Let me point you to the CDC article on washing your hands -
http://www.cdc.gov/features/handwashing/

As someone else pointed out before, we are at a point in time where 'superbugs', or antibiotic resistant bacteria, is becoming a serious problem. Let me be clear... you don't develop immunity to these things by just simple exposure. Furthermore, you also put immunocompromised people at risk.

Every year thousands of vulnerable people are killed by VRE and MRSA which is transmitted by contact - i.e. people that haven't washed their hands properly. And just for reference, at some stage in your life you are likely to be included in this 'vulnerable' category.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
I think you are also miss-quoting there. They essentially have to place this, as they cannot guarantee that a person is protected from infection from everywhere, by using this device.

No, Corning has to say this, otherwise they are making a health claim, which would need to be proven and cleared by the FDA. It's no different than vitamin and supplement manufacturers adding the same line in fine print on their products.

belltree

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
I hope Apple do their homework before falling for yet another "antimicrobial" marketing tactic.

At nanoscale, silver is more toxic than cadmium.

I appreciate that some people want to "bring it on" in their war against germs. Personally, I look at this stuff and sigh -- just another pollutant for our bodies to contend with.

Agreed 100%. I do not want this on the glass I will be touching.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
I've been sick literally two days (recently) out of the last five years. I'm not seeing the point of this for a freaking mobile device. *eyeroll*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.