Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Because not everybody (including myself) live in the US. It would be nice to have everybody's statistics taken into account to have a clearer view on what is occurring worldwide than one country.

Again, global statistics are reported every quarter.

How would people feel if all the statistics were UK only?

They'd probably feel like they were on a UK website instead of a US one. :D

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Again, global statistics are reported every quarter.

They'd probably feel like they were on a UK website instead of a US one. :D

Okay. Touche. But I still don't think these US only stats mean much. Maybe its just me. :)

Last edited:

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Why is that interesting?
----------
Why are worldwide statistics more useful to you?

... So understanding what is going on in the US is very useful to the US. It may or may not be useful to other contries.

Why does MacRumors never have worldwide statistics? These US only stats are pretty useless in my opinion.

Apple is a global company, selling products globally, fighting for global market share. As far as I recall, more than 50% of Apple's sales comes from outside the US? And outside the US is where the real growth is happening.

I'm a huge fan of MacRumors, but I think it is too US-centric. (Especially the constant flow of US carrier news about AT&T's, Sprint's & T-mobile's latest plans in the US).

US stats and news are far from useless. But in order to really understand Apple I would love to know much more about how and what Apple is doing in the Middle East? In India? In Scandinavia? In Germany? In Russia? In Canada? In Asia? In Southern America? Globally?

@arn @MacRumors — I'd really like to know your perspective on this?

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
No one is denying that, but a quick search on ebay shows that Apple devices retain their value much better than Android, could be the Operating system and continuous updates, could be the eco-system, or just the 'Apple' factor. Whatever it is - Apple's secondary market is the strongest among all.

Don't forget also Android has the lower end market advantage; and I don't mean this in a bad way. So for example, if I have $200 to spend on a contract free phone, I can buy a brand new Moto G (A great phone), but if I insist on Apple, I can buy a used iPhone 4.

Don’t discount Nokia/WP when it comes to budget phones and that’s coming from an Android guy. I was able to get the Nokia 521 for $60 and it’s a damn good phone for that price off contract. The Verizon Moto G is actually $100 retail but you’re stuck with Verizon’s 3g speeds which are worst than the Nokia 521 HSPA+. I could easily see the GSM version of the Moto G hitting that price in a few months.
I believe the new battle will be with low priced phones that are actually desirable to own. So far Google, Motorola and Nokia are leading the way. Apple’s market share will not grow by huge amounts if they continue this path of profits first. I personally would not buy a 2010 iPhone 4 as it was slow when I got rid of it 14 months ago. The phones I mentioned are relatively quick on their respective operating systems.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Okay. Touche. But I still don't think these US only stats mean much. Maybe its just me. :)

MacRumors publishes whatever share stats they can find, regardless of country. Maybe you should be complaining about the lack of investor and analyst interest in UK phone consumption.

----------

Apple is a global company, selling products globally, fighting for global market share. As far as I recall, more than 50% of Apple's sales comes from outside the US? And outside the US is where the real growth is happening.

I'm a huge fan of MacRumors, but I think it is too US-centric. (Especially the constant flow of US carrier news about AT&T's, Sprint's & T-mobile's latest plans in the US).

US stats and news are far from useless. But in order to really understand Apple I would love to know much more about how and what Apple is doing in the Middle East? In India? In Scandinavia? In Germany? In Russia? In Canada? In Asia? In Southern America? Globally?

@arn @MacRumors — I'd really like to know your perspective on this?

See my previous comment. MacRumors reprints whatever stats are publicly available that they legally can get their hands on. Their standard of what constitutes "Mac news" isn't all that lofty. Pretty much anything remotely related to Apple that isn't moronic gets space here. That's not a criticism of them; it's a comment on your unrealistic expectation.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Don’t discount Nokia/WP when it comes to budget phones and that’s coming from an Android guy. I was able to get the Nokia 521 for $60 and it’s a damn good phone for that price off contract. The Verizon Moto G is actually $100 retail but you’re stuck with Verizon’s 3g speeds which are worst than the Nokia 521 HSPA+. I could easily see the GSM version of the Moto G hitting that price in a few months.
I believe the new battle will be with low priced phones that are actually desirable to own. So far Google, Motorola and Nokia are leading the way. Apple’s market share will not grow by huge amounts if they continue this path of profits first. I personally would not buy a 2010 iPhone 4 as it was slow when I got rid of it 14 months ago. The phones I mentioned are relatively quick on their respective operating systems.

Wasn't Moto G GSM unlocked already released a few weeks ago for $179/$199??? It has HSPA+ speed

http://www.motorola.com/us/shop-all-mobile-phones-1/Moto-G/moto-g-pdp.html

Last edited:

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
I really don't understand how anyone can acclaim Apple's iOS going into 2014. I watch these commercials and see the same 6 year old phone marketing the same features every other phone has. Android has made further progress. On the initial startup everyone can see that iOS homescreens are a complete joke of modern software, the entire home interface is just a background with icons and labels on it. This is simplicity with loss of functionality. Widgets and the wide array of user customization are a serious feature missing from this operating system. It seems the common topic is that the 'app ecosystem' is somehow better on iOS than android due to the sheet number of apps on the appstore. The Apple appstore simply outnumbers android, it does not out feature android. There are close to no apps that exist on ios that do not have an equivalently functioning app on android. The ecosystem remark made is commonly used in conjunction with a lack of android's 'tablet optimized apps'. This is to say, that some apps made for phones do not scale to fill 'whitespace' on the displays of android tablets. This is rubbish to say that an app needs to clutter the screen more because there's more room to crowd with features. I'll argue that there are no apps on iOS that serve the function of modifying the operating system to extent that android provides. Apps like launchers, permission controllers, system maintenance, and hacking utilities. This is largely due to the difficulty of sideloading apps being unreasonable on iOS. Apple has control over what users are allowed to install to their device, and they make users do it through their store, and their store alone. Not only to profit through mobile developers having to use their service, but to hold the users hand along the way in the name of security.

Widgets = advanced? Seems to me they only serve to clutter the home screen. I will agree that iOS 7 still is in need of a great deal of refinement.

kobalap

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2009
Because not everybody (including myself) live in the US. It would be nice to have everybody's statistics taken into account to have a clearer view on what is occurring worldwide than one country.

How would people feel if all the statistics were UK only?

Apple is a global company, selling products globally, fighting for global market share. As far as I recall, more than 50% of Apple's sales comes from outside the US? And outside the US is where the real growth is happening....

I guess my question was not clear. Let me try again.

What do you do with this data that it makes a difference whether you are seeing global data vs. U.S. centric data?

As a consumer of electronics (Apple products included), I don't feel this data enhances or harms my experience with Apple products. The fact that the data is U.S. centric makes it trivia that is more interesting to me as I am in the U.S. But it is still just trivia.

As a shareholder, data like this does not factor into my buying and selling of equities. I haven't yet been able to find a correlation between daily news and long term trends in terms of stock values. To be fair, I am not necessarily good at picking stocks - I tend to dabble more in index funds.

As a mobile device applications developer (which I am not), this data would seem to be just as useful as global data. After all, iOS users (and users in the U.S.) tend to spend a lot on mobile devices and apps. So it seems that while this data is not complete, it is far from useless.

So again, my question to you is, how are global statistics more useful to you?

Or are you guys just bhitcing because you want global trivia instead of U.S. centric trivia?

----------

I really don't understand how anyone can acclaim Apple's iOS going into 2014. I watch these commercials and see the same 6 year old phone marketing the same features every other phone has. Android has made further progress. On the initial startup everyone can see that iOS homescreens are a complete joke of modern software, the entire home interface is just a background with icons and labels on it. This is simplicity with loss of functionality. Widgets and the wide array of user customization are a serious feature missing from this operating system. It seems the common topic is that the 'app ecosystem' is somehow better on iOS than android due to the sheet number of apps on the appstore. The Apple appstore simply outnumbers android, it does not out feature android. There are close to no apps that exist on ios that do not have an equivalently functioning app on android. The ecosystem remark made is commonly used in conjunction with a lack of android's 'tablet optimized apps'. This is to say, that some apps made for phones do not scale to fill 'whitespace' on the displays of android tablets. This is rubbish to say that an app needs to clutter the screen more because there's more room to crowd with features. I'll argue that there are no apps on iOS that serve the function of modifying the operating system to extent that android provides. Apps like launchers, permission controllers, system maintenance, and hacking utilities. This is largely due to the difficulty of sideloading apps being unreasonable on iOS. Apple has control over what users are allowed to install to their device, and they make users do it through their store, and their store alone. Not only to profit through mobile developers having to use their service, but to hold the users hand along the way in the name of security.

I think you misunderstood the topic of this thread.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
how the hell did MS manage to shrink it's already small market share...

Dirtfarmer

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2012
This just in: Android gains market share while iOS loses share, but apple fluffer pump-and-dump site macrumors.com manages to spin it as an apple domination story.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
This is a news/rumors site. When an item comes to the editors attention, they pass it along to the readers.

Comscore released U.S. sales statistics, so that's what the story covers - Comscore's report on U.S. sales statistics. If you want "fairness," complain to Comscore that they only reported U.S. results. MacRumors is just the messenger.

If MacRumor did not pass along the report, which is certainly of interest to some... then they risk being a less useful site than others that publish Apple-related news.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
This just in: Android gains market share while iOS loses share, but apple fluffer pump-and-dump site macrumors.com manages to spin it as an apple domination story.

I had no idea that "Android" was one company, I mean what benefit would be there to break down OS my manufacturer to get a real idea of what the market looks like?:rolleyes:

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

This just in: MacRumors forum poster does not understand news article. Posts off topic rant to prove it.

:D

Strod

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
Why does MacRumors never have worldwide statistics?

That's simply not true.

A quick search on Google returned these fairly recent articles that contradict that assertion:

And note that sometimes an article will include both US and worldwide stats and not say so explicitly in the title.

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
how the hell did MS manage to shrink it's already small market share...

Perhaps more people moved from Dumbphones to smartphones, so the overall market grew.

MS's sales grew, but not at the same pace as the overall market. So MS has more pie, but a smaller percentage of the overall bigger pie.

Also, these are just US figures. Microsoft is much more successful internationally - particularly in Europe where Nokia is based.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
From the article:

"She created a back-end system that allows every Burberry salesperson, across 330 stores, to access all the data that the company has collected on individual customers, including data as detailed as whether customers prefer to browse merchandise with assistance or to be left alone."

Hmm...So in the future, you have an iPhone in your pocket, you go into Apple store, and suddenly they all know "John is here - buys lots of stuff!".

I'm not sure I'd be happy to walk into Apple store and have them know all this info right off the bat.

N64

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
Lost Woods
Funny and unexpected that Microsoft lost share.

----------

MacRumors has Apple stock? Whence did you get this information?

adamneer

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2013
Chicago, IL
From the article:

"She created a back-end system that allows every Burberry salesperson, across 330 stores, to access all the data that the company has collected on individual customers, including data as detailed as whether customers prefer to browse merchandise with assistance or to be left alone."

Hmm...So in the future, you have an iPhone in your pocket, you go into Apple store, and suddenly they all know "John is here - buys lots of stuff!".

I'm not sure I'd be happy to walk into Apple store and have them know all this info right off the bat.

conversely, i would love it to never have to tell a sales associate that i don't need any help again.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Why does MacRumors never have worldwide statistics? These US only stats are pretty useless in my opinion.

I seem to recall reading that the US has a hugely disproportionate share of mobile developers--and among the best quality apps (as opposed to weird shovelware) the skew is even greater I would strongly guess. It's an industry that is thriving in the US.

What developers use affects what they make. So that's one reason US stats are not useless.

I would also guess (but would welcome stats to the contrary) that US mobile users spend more on apps than many other markets. Especially with piracy being so rampant in some other big markets.

(I'm reminded of the Android Principle: the US market matters ONLY for stats where Android is "winning." Whereas the worldwide market matters ONLY for stats where Android is "winning." :p )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.