Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new company called Sen.se has debuted an electronic device called "Mother," which is designed to serve as a hub for a series of Motion Cookie tracking devices. Cookies are multipurpose portable sensors able to track a variety of information, including movement and temperature.

mother.jpg
As with your real mother, Mother cares about you and loves you. Yet this Mother is programmable. You decide what aspects of your life you want her to handle and she tunes to your current needs. Unlike other devices that specialize in only one area, this Mother knows how to help you in many areas of your daily life: fitness, health, security, well-being and comfort. You decide how she can help simplify your life, ultimately helping you live better, healthier and happier.
Cookies, which interact with Mother, can be stuck on any object and will capture and analyze movements and factors like ambient temperature or closeness to the Mother base station. A Cookie can be placed on any object to measure its whereabouts and its movements. For example, if a Cookie is placed on a dog's collar, it can track when the dog moves too far away from the base station.

Motion Cookies are the first essential members of the ever growing Mother family.

Small and slick, they can be affixed to almost anything. They have the power to detect and understand the movements of objects and people.
Cookies are endlessly reusable and can be placed on a wide array of objects. They are reprogrammable and are able to handle new functionality at any time. Cookies have a one year battery life and a 10 day memory before needing to resync data with the Mother. 24 cookies can be controlled by a single Mother.

motherapps.jpg
Cookies can send alerts to phones, and Cookies near the Mother will upload collected data to the Internet. A number of apps are designed to work with the system, and Sen.se details several different possible use cases for Cookies and Mother, including fitness tracking, monitoring for intruders, tracking temperature, monitoring medications, and tracking sleep.

Sen.se is comprised of team members that were previously behind a Wi-Fi connected rabbit called Nabaztag, which was a programmable and customizable smart object that could connect to the Internet and display information like weather forecasts and email notifications.

Mother is expected to begin shipping in the spring of 2014 and is priced at $222 for a Mother base unit and four tracking Cookies. Pre-orders will begin in February and additional cookies will be sold in sets of four for $99.

Article Link: CES 2014: Sen.se Announces Wi-Fi-Enabled 'Mother' Monitoring System

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
NSA freak stuff

Total control at home.
Does it make any sense to spy your family's activity? NSA-ready?
The culture in US becomes more and more strange and hard to understand.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
I want one but don't know if I can really make use of it.
Attaching it to a toothbrush sounds kinda gross.

Gonna stick it on my wifes car to keep track of when she comes and goes.
(JK, not really married. But I do have a dog that I would love to find use of this for)

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
With the right music, that ad could easily be a short horror movie about an evil russian nesting doll.

s2UWrFT.gif

Last edited:

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Is it just me, or have the last two or three years of consumer electronic startup announcements hit some kind of an exponential slope of combined uselessness and utopi-Orwellian creepy?

It's like the dystopian cyberpunk nightmare future has actually gone on sale, filtered through pleasant industrial design, high-production-value intro videos, and good-intentioned geek ingenuity.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
This might be cool, I don't know-- can't get past the idea of calling a product "Mother". That smiley face is just creepy...

devilbond

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2010
Fun, until she states: The ship will automatically destruct in "T" minus five minutes.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
Is it just me, or have the last two or three years of consumer electronic startup announcements hit some kind of an exponential slope of combined uselessness and utopi-Orwellian creepy?

It's like the dystopian cyberpunk nightmare future has actually gone on sale, filtered through pleasant industrial design, high-production-value intro videos, and good-intentioned geek ingenuity.

This is why I've been into near-future science fiction, since around 1991 or 1992, when I first began noodling around with modems and BBSs and The Internet (good ol' VAX/VMS). TRAINING FOR THE FUTURE. I've been waiting for all this nonsense to hit for over 20 years, and yes, we now very firmly live in the cyberpunk future.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Total control at home.
Does it make any sense to spy your family's activity? NSA-ready?
The culture in US becomes more and more strange and hard to understand.

Your comment doesn't parse, because sen.se is a European-based company. Perhaps the domain name should have tipped you off.

Did you not read any of the background material?

Seriously, what would people actually do with this?

I can think of several uses right off the bat for something like this. If you can't, that's fair, but that doesn't mean others can't as well.

Don't think I can rely on fitness advice from someone sporting a pair shaped figure

I hope you mean pear-shaped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.