Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akbarali.ch

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2011
Mumbai (India)
I still miss Safari for the PC.:(

me too, actually i started using Safari and started to like it, this was the time when ichrome gaining and firefox was getting sluggish, but then Apple stopped making for windows and i had to jump to chrome/firefox duo.

Also, is it me only, safari is much much fuild on my imac than firefox, for some reason, both latest.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Why would there be? Snow Leopard is over 4 years old and no longer supported for anything except critical flaws.

So is XP, but it works in XP.

----------

I still miss Safari for the PC.:(

Safari 4 for Windows as actually good, better I think than Chrome and FF at the time. Safari 5 for Windows turned into a Chrome knockoff and got relatively slower. I still use it because Chrome always gets infected with junk from Babylon and Ask if you're not careful.

toby00001

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
My thoughts exactly. This almost seems like they are giving an advantage to Windows users. :(

I'm not sure why people seem to be having issues syncing bookmarks between devices. There are two super easy methods for maintaining the same bookmark collection on ALL devices.

1: Use Chrome on all devices (super ***** easy),
2: Use Safari on all Apple devices plus Chrome on any non Apple device such as Windows computer or Android device (all super ***** easy).

JessicaRobort

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
iCloud can now sync bookmarks with Firefox and Chrome

The latest update to Apple's cloud-based service lets Windows users keep their bookmarks in sync among IE, Firefox, and Chrome.
iCloud users can now sync their bookmarks across all of the major browsers used in Windows.
Released on Wednesday, the iCloud Control Panel 3.0 for Windows can keep your bookmarks in Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome synchronized with your Safari bookmarks on the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, and the Mac. Previously, iCloud supported only IE.
To turn on the new feature, download and install the 3.0 version of the iCloud Control Panel. After launching the program, click on the checkmark for Bookmarks if it's not already checked. In the Options pop-up up menu, you can then choose which of the three browsers you want to include in the sync.
To enable support for Firefox and Chrome, you'll also need to download the new browser extensions developed by Apple. Firefox uses can download the extension from Mozilla's Add-Ons page, while Chrome users can grab it from the Chrome Web store.

Beta Particle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
I'm not sure why people seem to be having issues syncing bookmarks between devices. There are two super easy methods for maintaining the same bookmark collection on ALL devices.

1: Use Chrome on all devices (super ***** easy)
Browsers which are not Safari have terrible performance on iOS. Chrome is seven times slower than Safari on an iPhone 5.

And frankly, many of us would prefer not to have Chrome on our systems, though I realize it's the only way to view Flash content without installing Flash on a Mac. Firefox is my browser of choice.

2: Use Safari on all Apple devices plus Chrome on any non Apple device such as Windows computer or Android device (all super ***** easy).
Until this was released, you did not have the option of anything other than the defunct Safari 5 on Windows, which only supports bookmark sync and not tab syncing.
iCloud is not supported on most of the MacBooks we're using here, even if they were using Safari.
I'm not sure how you expect Safari on iOS to sync with Chrome on Android either.

It's nice and easy if you're happy to live inside Apple's ecosystem, with all your devices up to date, but not if you have a mixture of devices (rules out iCloud) and want to avoid Chrome.

Perhaps if Apple removed the restrictions on iOS, there would be a version of Chrome without crippled performance, or a version of Firefox at all.

toby00001

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
Browsers which are not Safari have terrible performance on iOS. Chrome is seven times slower than Safari on an iPhone 5.

And frankly, many of us would prefer not to have Chrome on our systems, though I realize it's the only way to view Flash content without installing Flash on a Mac. Firefox is my browser of choice.

Until this was released, you did not have the option of anything other than the defunct Safari 5 on Windows, which only supports bookmark sync and not tab syncing.
iCloud is not supported on most of the MacBooks we're using here, even if they were using Safari.
I'm not sure how you expect Safari on iOS to sync with Chrome on Android either.

It's nice and easy if you're happy to live inside Apple's ecosystem, with all your devices up to date, but not if you have a mixture of devices (rules out iCloud) and want to avoid Chrome.

Perhaps if Apple removed the restrictions on iOS, there would be a version of Chrome without crippled performance, or a version of Firefox at all.

I'm not talking about before the iCloud/Chrome support was released, I'm talking about right now!

I have a mixture of devices, and as I mentioned before I use Safari on Apple devices and Chrome on all other devices. Because my Windows PC syncs Chrome with my iCloud bookmarks, those bookmarks would also be available on any Android device.

Before this I used Chrome on all devices, which meant that everything was synced automatically. Chrome is a damn good browser.

People here are bitching about there being no Chrome/iCloud sync on Mac. Why would anyone need this? If you use Chrome on a Mac...it already syncs your bookmarks.

Beta Particle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
I have a mixture of devices, and as I mentioned before I use Safari on Apple devices and Chrome on all other devices. Because my Windows PC syncs Chrome with my iCloud bookmarks, those bookmarks would also be available on any Android device.
This setup relies on your PC running all the time to act as an intermediary between iCloud and Chrome Sync for Android devices. It's a bad solution.
Before this I used Chrome on all devices, which meant that everything was synced automatically. Chrome is a damn good browser.
Chrome, like all third-party browsers on iOS, has crippled performance. It will eat up battery life and is painfully slow to use compared to Safari now.
People here are bitching about there being no Chrome/iCloud sync on Mac. Why would anyone need this? If you use Chrome on a Mac...it already syncs your bookmarks.
Chrome on a Mac will only sync with Chrome on iOS. It will not sync to iCloud.

Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer will all sync with iCloud on a PC. This is what people want on OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.