Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
I'm unsure if this app is making the rounds around the world too, but there's an app that's Number 1 in 'Free' on the App Store at the minute called, "Cartoon HD".

Anybody downloaded it? - Essentially you can watch cartoons, for free. No in-app purchases, Harry Potter movies, Disney cartoons, Anime all the sort of things you'll find on Cartoon Network etc.. but for free.

You think they've got the licensing deals? Or do you think it's crept in the App Store by mistake?

nightstalkerz

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2013
It might be pulled at some time if the companies find out.

I don't think it's official because it looks good and it takes up less than 10MB when installed.

Big Ells

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2010
London, UK
We got it in the UK. I made sure I downloaded it as I doubt it will last long. It has films which have only just been released on DVD over here.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
I know a few good places for latest weekly releases but this has some great anime and cartoon series that to see complete online is very hard to do

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
Taking in account this app was made in China and somehow slipped through Apple admission process I wouldn't personally be really surprised if this app contained a bit more than just a streaming framework. The app itself is so basic, you have to wonder what is inside a 10MB app which could be about 1/10 of the size if it was only streaming content.

Last edited:

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Taking in account this app was made in China and somehow slipped through Apple admission process I wouldn't personally be really surprised if this app contained a bit more than just a streaming framework. The app itself is so basic, you have to wonder what is inside a 10MB app which could be about 1/10 of the size if it was only streaming content.

It also allows the ability to download the movies and play them back anytime without and internet connection. Just watch the entire World War Z movie doing that. Played great.

argargarg

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2014
cartoon hd

if you click on the "developer website " on the details tab on the iphone app store it opens up facebook ....this only works on the free version

weird and frightening ...ive deleted the app

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
The free version is gone. The pro version is still there if you search for "HD Cartoon PHAM". Even if you pay the $2.99, it's still worth it.

But agree, there is still some cause for concern as what "else" it could be doing. Also, where is it streaming from? Can it track you?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
But agree, there is still some cause for concern as what "else" it could be doing. Also, where is it streaming from? Can it track you?
Using servers logs they can get a pretty good idea where in the world you are and an even better idea if your streaming is via WiFi.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Using servers logs they can get a pretty good idea where in the world you are and an even better idea if your streaming is via WiFi.

Agreed, but can they do anything "nefarious" with that data? Don't think so, but not sure...

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland
Doesn't matter. Some nut job will be along in a second to tell you that the Chinese government (or maybe even the American one, depending on their political leanings) are desperate to know when you're on the internet and this is all part of their cunning plan.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Where does it save the videos when u download them? Can't find them.

It saves the video in the Download section of the app. It does NOT save the video to the iDevice Videos app. Also, if you start the download, do NOT allow the device to go to sleep or switch to another application. It will stop the download, and most of the time, will not restart.

Chowmann

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2014
Hi does anyone know if you can use Apple TV / hdmi /av cable to watch in large screen?

ValtermcPires

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2013
Portugal, Cascais
It saves the video in the Download section of the app. It does NOT save the video to the iDevice Videos app. Also, if you start the download, do NOT allow the device to go to sleep or switch to another application. It will stop the download, and most of the time, will not restart.

This app would be even great if do that.

I have DL on this holidays and i'm liking it. I'm re-watching Digimon!

Nomadski

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2008

Thanks for that, there was a delay for it to appear in that section after downloading. Cheers for the tips too!

I had wondered seeing as Apple had pulled the app whether the app would be able to be updated, but Ive noticed new content added since release so its all good!

Just wonder, if I copy the ipa file to my wife's laptop, and log in with my apple ID, can I copy the app to her iphone then log back in with hers? Will that have a bad effect at all with my app?

tpr007

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
Hong Kong
If the app still works, then where is it being streamed from?

i.e. who/where is the content stored, and how come it's still online?

Cindyb1975

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2014
Hi. Is it possible (and if so, how) to play movies from the cartoon hd app on iPhone on a normal hd tv?
Thanks

Nomadski

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2008
The normal way, mirroring via Apple TV, or using the digital AV adapter if you have an iPhone 5/5s/5c.

liamdunne77

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2014
Howsit work??

Ok so please excuse my ignorance...I have the app and downloaded a movie....How do I Transfer that file off my phone and onto my mac? I know it gets put in the download section of the app, but can't for the life of me work out how to access it on any other device or even delete it from my phone.

----------

Ok so please excuse my ignorance...I have the app and downloaded a movie....How do I Transfer that file off my phone and onto my mac? I know it gets put in the download section of the app, but can't for the life of me work out how to access it on any other device or even delete it from my phone.

Oh OK, so I lied...I can remove it easy enough...Doh!! so yeah, just the transfer part if anyone knows how (without too much fuss).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.