Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mophie today added to its existing lineup of Juice Packs and Powerstations, introducing the new Mophie Space Pack. Like the company's Juice Packs, the Space Pack is a 1700 mAh battery case, but it also includes built-in storage, increasing the storage capacity of the iPhone by 16 or 32 GB.

mophiespacepack.jpg
Designed for the iPhone 5 and the iPhone 5s, the Space Pack doubles the battery life of the iPhone, connecting via the Lightning port to offer both increased battery and additional storage. The built-in storage can be used for any file type, including photos, videos, and music.

The Space Pack uses an accompanying Space app to organize stored files into Collections that are easily managed. Accessing files does not require a data or Wi-Fi connection and content like music and movies can be played directly from the Space app.

Mophie's Space Packs will be available for pre-order today, priced at $149.95 for the 16 GB version and $179.95 for the 32 GB model. The cases will begin shipping on March 14.

Article Link: Mophie Debuts 'Space Pack' Battery Case With Built-In Storage

Lionel Messi

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2013
Barcelona, Spain
Too bulky for my liking. And I think 64GB is sufficient for a smartphone. I have over 700 songs, 3 movies, photos, and more than 100 apps including 3D games, and I still have 9GB remaining. What more do I want?

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
That makes apples case look cheap.

----------

What if you have a 64gb iPhone and want 16GB or 32GB more in storage, but don't want the bulk of the battery case?

You call apple and tell them that for the next gen iPhone you want to give them more money.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Screw storage I want a battery case with WIRELESS CHARGING. I gotta put the case on anyway for the extra battery but I hate micro USB let me charge wirelessly.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
MicroSD slot would've been more practical and Space app should have ability to backup photos and videos from Camera roll.

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
So they charge 20 bucks more for a 32 but apple charger 100?

This looks like a winner but the overall price. If it were 99 it would be excellent

Discostu7

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Too expensive and the price will drop once other competition steps in with alternatives. Might as well buy a 64gb iphone for those prices.

Prices should range from 100-150

Expect a price drop in a year if these don't sell as much as they expect

lenard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Raleigh NC
its $99 for the charger and either $49 or $79 dollar for the storage.

Apple charges $100 for each increase of 16gb of storage and no option for
extra charging power for those who need it. Do the math.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Too bad these cases don't add "width" to the form factor rather than "height."

henrique2

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2013
its $99 for the charger and either $49 or $79 dollar for the storage.

Apple charges $100 for each increase of 16gb of storage and no option for
extra charging power for those who need it. Do the math.

Not true
Apple charges the same 100$ for 16GB or 32GB.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Surprised nobody has done this yet before; they have external drives, in which I always thought was weird that they didn't put into a casing form.. and they've had battery cases for a while..

6 years later.

Way too expensive, which is annoying especially since I don't see this as necessary of being new technology or new concept, this should have been out long ago and have had the price beaten down by now. Plus, it's too expensive in general.. The upgrade to 32gb more built in from 16gb is 200, which is only 20 dollars difference.. I understand the lack of additional battery, but some people don't want the bulk in negotiation for battery; 179 is just way too much.

Arndroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2013
Surprised nobody has done this yet before; they have external drives, in which I always thought was weird that they didn't put into a casing form.. and they've had battery cases for a while..

6 years later.

Way too expensive, which is annoying especially since I don't see this as necessary of being new technology or new concept, this should have been out long ago and have had the price beaten down by now. Plus, it's too expensive in general.. The upgrade to 32gb more built in from 16gb is 200, which is only 20 dollars difference.. I understand the lack of additional battery, but some people don't want the bulk in negotiation for battery; 179 is just way too much.

Well they are a battery add on business first. They can certainly see the growth potential to a storage only option but wanted to release a traditional battery product for their customers first.

From that standpoint it makes perfect sense and undoubtedly they will offer one. It is just weird how many "bad at math" comments there are in this thread as people ignore the value of the battery.

If you don't want the battery don't buy it. Offering a case that extends storage on an iPhone is a fairly big thing and will likely change things forever. So be patient and wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.