Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released the third beta of iOS 7.1 to registered developers for testing purposes, following the release of the second iOS 7.1 beta in mid-December. The update has a build number of 11d5127c and is available via an over-the-air update or through Apple's developer center website.

ios7beta3.jpg
The first and second betas of iOS 7.1 bundled multiple bug fixes along with several new features including a new "Button Shapes" option in Accessibility and a more prominent location for Touch ID and Passcode options. The third beta includes fixes for audiobook playbook and iCloud account setup with iCloud Keychain, but there are undoubtedly other tweaks that have not been documented by Apple.

According to a recent report, iOS 7.1 will see a lengthy testing period with a public release coming in March. Beta 3's release notes indicate that a number of known issues remain with iOS 7.1, which must be fixed before the software can see a general release.

The last version of iOS 7 available to the public, iOS 7.0.4, was released back in November.

Today's update also includes Xcode 5.1 Developer Preview 3 and a new version of the Apple TV beta software.

Update: While the "dark keyboard" option that was added in beta 1 and removed in beta 2 has not returned in beta 3, Apple has tweaked the standard keyboard slightly, most notably with a new look for the delete key.

ios_7_1_beta_3_keyboard.jpg
Beta 3 also includes a new look for the confirmation screen when powering down the device, while the Phone dialer now uses round "call" and "end" buttons rather than large rectangular ones. The incoming call screen also adopts the round buttons as part of a redesign.

ios_7_1_beta_3_power_dialer.jpg
The green color of the Phone, FaceTime, Messages app icons has been toned down slightly, while there is an expanded "Increase Contrast" section in the Accessibility settings that now has three separate settings allowing users to reduce transparency, darken colors (added in iOS 7.1 beta 1), and reduce white point (new in iOS 7.1 beta 3).

There is a new option to turn parallax on or off when setting wallpapers.

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS 7.1 Beta 3 to Developers

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Yes, button shapes are back!

Perhaps they'll add a "Button Color" option, a "Button Shading" option, a "Button Emboss" option, etc. over the next few betas, and by iOS 8 we'll just have:

VAOoRcc.png

Last edited:

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
iOS 7.1 in March?

So another few months of bug riddled mess that is 7.0 for the public?

Apple quality indeed

thertrain

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2005
Wallpaper Annoyance

Has anyone else been annoyed by the way pictures are blown up when setting them as wallpaper. I thought it was going to be a bug from 7.0 development cycle but it has never been fixed. :mad:

tumtumtum

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
Has anyone else been annoyed by the way pictures are blown up when setting them as wallpaper. I thought it was going to be a bug from 7.0 development cycle but it has never been fixed. :mad:

I think it's blown up so they can do the parallax stuff.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Hopefully 7.1 fixes Safari crashes. This site never crashes for me, but others do frequently.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
jb please dont be fixed

… that might be what the NSA is saying as well. Seriously, with all the paranoia going on here recently about the NSA spying, what better way for the NSA to spy on your phone than adding their code to a jailbreak?

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
I want to see them finally combine/recode the notes and reminders apps to be much better than they are. ios7 kinda broke them in usability, i don't like skeuromophic design but they killed the intuitiveness!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.