Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Belkin has introduced a new Crock-Pot-brand slow cooker integrated with the company's WeMo home automation technology. According to Belkin, this will be the first of a number of WeMo enabled small appliances, including items like space heaters.

crockpot.jpg
The Wi-Fi-enabled cooker looks nearly identical to other similar slow cookers, with controls on the front for toggling warm, low and high settings -- but chefs can use the WeMo iOS app to adjust temperatures and set automated on/off timers.

The "Crock-Pot Smart Slow Cooker enabled with WeMo" will be available for $99.99 this spring.

Belkin also announced new LED light bulbs that work with the WeMo system, similar to Philips' Hue bulbs.

Article Link: Belkin Introduces iPhone-Enabled WeMo Crock-Pot Slow Cooker

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Man if this makes my pull pork taste better, then add one to my list of things I need. Doubt it though. Only thing that is going to make it taste better is me. Hah!

Got to get up and check it every once in a while, so can make whatever adjustments to my slow cooker at that time. Got to wear off that pull pork some how.

liberalart

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2009
No expansion capabilities?

what is belkin thinking? no thunderbolt? not even usb3? At the very least I'd expect a modern crock pot to have some SD memory options…

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
Wow, so now even my cookware will have to be flashed occasionally. However, if things go wrong in the kitchen and my family has to starve in the evening I'll have a fine excuse (software problem).

Btw., am I the only one who's reminded of those ebay classics when looking at engadget's pictures.

Last edited:

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
This looks neat, though I'm not sure if I'd really be able to take advantage of the network connectivity.

I do, however, really wish someone would make an IP breadmaker. That way, I can start it if I forget to before I leave home, or I can start it when I know I need to to have it done by a certain time instead of trying to calculate time with the timer. Plus, if it allows for the creation of custom cycles, doing it with an app or via a Web interface would be a lot easier than trying to program it on the control panel of the machine itself.

Maybe the WeMo Maker can help me out when it gets released this spring. :)

ajguckian

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Hudson Valley
I think this is great. it lets me prep before work, but not start actually cooking until I need it to. Right now we set the cook time, and it goes to the warm setting once done. Some dishes spend 3-4 hours just sitting there warming, and drying out.

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
I won't be buying one any time soon, but of all the kitchen appliances a crock pot likely makes the most sense. Many people set up a crock pot in the morning so when they come home from work dinner is ready. This might be useful to remotely turn it off or on. It would be nice if it had safety features to alert the user of any problems, like overheating or malfunctions.

DogHouseDub

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
SF
Now I can start and stop my batch of meth without having to be in the same room. Thanks Belkin!

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
They are also coming out with a paint roller that lights up when there's not enough paint to let you know you need to dip it back in the bucket.

And instead of ringing the doorbell, you hold up your phone next to the scanner and it reads a barcode on the screen to let you know who's at the door.

What else will they think of next..

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
shark, jumped, the.
Ip enabled coffee machine, toaster or even oven make more sense.
Maybe I just don't use slow cookers except during the holidays, but I fail to see what this accomplishes that a simple $8 outlet timer doesn't.

kbfr08

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
Good thing it's wireless, that way I can adjust the temperature while this ugly thing is safely hidden away from my eyes in a cabinet somewhere.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
There you go. I have now seen everything.

Heh, the revolution is only getting started. Next up: iPhone enabled toilet. It uses your browser history to determine your gender and puts the toilet seat into the appropriate position... then auto-flushes at the appropriate time. Also Game Center enabled so males can post their accuracy scores.

D'oh! Beaten to the punch by the post above...

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Isn't the point of a slow cooker to set it to "on" and leave it?

I can't imagine that there would be much in the way of settings to adjust that you couldn't already adjust before...

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I could see this as a first-time crock pot buyer...or if you need a new one but no real reason to run out and get one if yours is perfectly fine.

A few years back I had an Indian Chicken dish (or maybe Moroccan, i cannot remember now) in the crockpot...halfway through the day my wife's father went to the ER and we ran to the hospital to see him, stayed there for hours and grabbed dinner on the way home since it was so late. our dinner was overcooked just sitting on the warm setting. this would have been nice.

Or when a recipe says to turn it up or down heat/time setting halfway through...though I usually skip those recipes since what's the point...i don't want to be near it that's why it is in the slow-cooker.

I can almost see it if it has an attached thermometer for the meat/dish and when it hit a certain point you could shut it off...or set it to come back on if it falls below "x" temp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.