Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Signal today announced a new iOS 7 controller, the RP One, a Bluetooth gamepad with a traditional console-style design. Because it works wirelessly over Bluetooth, the RP One is able to connect to both iPhones and iPads running iOS 7.

The RP One has been designed with serious gaming in mind, offering a "full scale" ergonomic shape to fit a range of hand sizes. The current prototype includes a directional pad, two analog sticks, two triggers, and four action buttons.

signalrpone.jpg
Each RP One includes a universal stand for all of Apple's iOS devices, compatible with most covers and cases. The RP One controller offers up to 10 hours of battery life.

The RP One most closely resembles the recently introduced SteelSeries Stratus, though it has a more promising design that mimics the popular Xbox controller. Early controllers from Logitech and MOGA connected via the iPhone's Lightning port, which excluded them from functioning with the iPad.

Currently, multiple games like Dead Trigger 2, Asphalt 8: Airborne, and Bastion include iOS 7 controller support.

Like the other iOS 7 controllers, the RP One will retail for $99.99. It is expected to be available during the first half of the year.

Article Link: CES 2014: Signal Announces 'RP One' Xbox-Style Gaming Controller for iOS

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I am holding off the steel series controllers until more details about this one come to light.

I am hoping a controller will become available that will use an x-box style layout of an upper left stick vs the ps 3 style both sticks below as well.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Like 50% of the reason I choose Xbox over Playstation is because of the controller's thumbstick location. I do not approve of this controller!

Cool concept though.

Semester

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2011
Still no manufactureer feeling forced to start a prize war. In a way that's good for the ecosystem, the present margins makes the space attractive and makes it possible to make high quality products and still have good sales.

Eventually the prices will drop of course but if we can get a good controller by then I'm happy. Because I haven't seen a really good one yet, although the prices are high.

the-msa

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
What is it with iOS gaming controllers being so expensive?

because apple. thats their thing.

anyway, that controllers looks like the bastard a xbox360-controller and a dualshock 4 could give birth to.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OMG! Stop trying to reinvent the D-PAD!!!!!!! The original NES perfected it.

----------

Also, I bought the Wii U Pro controller for use with OpenEmu. For half the price of that thing, it works like a charm. Maybe spending $100 would be fine for a decent controller when we can play iOS games on our TVs (on the big screen).

herocero

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2003
down on the upside
yeah the body style is more xbox but with the position of the d-pad i'd say it's more like a playstation controller honestly. which is great cause it's my preference to have both analog sticks on the same plane.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
OMG! Stop trying to reinvent the D-PAD!!!!!!! The original NES perfected it.

I was going to say that might be because Nintendo patented the D-Pad, but according to Wiki, it seems that it's expired ... so yes, everyone should just use the Nintendo one! (unless the design is trademarked now or something silly like that)

Last edited:

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
I'm liking this! With lots of games that a few years ago needed a rocket ship PC, now available on iOS - KOTOR, for example - and a decent controller (though KOTOR plays much better on a touch screen than with a touch pad), now all we need is for Apple TV to play games, or at least Airplay them, and a couple more CPU iterations, then the PS4 and Xbox One will be more or less obsolete. Except for Kinect Fitness, which is the main reason I got the One.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
lolwut? not sarcasm?
This isn't Apple's product, nor are they dictating pricing. There are plenty of affordable and over priced accessories for every ecosystem out there.

Are you sure there isn't a licensing fee for the "Apple Basic" and "Apple Extended" controllers/layouts we've been hearing about? They might be factoring that in.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I was going to say that might be because Nintendo patented the D-Pad, but according to Wiki, it seems that it's expired ... so yes, everyone should just use the Nintendo one! (unless the design is trademarked now or something silly like that)

I thought that's why the Xbox One now uses the Nintendo style d-pad.

This controller is interesting. I've been wanting something like this, but prefer the offset sticks. This thing is weird—it looks like an Xbox controller, but has sticks like a Playstation. But so far it looks like the best option.

I think these prices will come down by summer when they aren't selling at the expected volume. The Xbox One controller is way better than this and costs $59. Might be subsidized but I doubt it. This is a case of the Apple tax.

I wish I could somehow connect my Xbox One controller to my iPad, but that will never happen. Does Microsoft have a patent on their stick layout or the overall look and feel of the controller?

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Yeah, but give me a reason why these are more expensive. You're not getting anything extra alongside that extra $50. No nice aluminum build. No attractive Apple styling. They're just more expensive for the sake of being more expensive.

Volume plays a large part in pricing. Imagine making something which costs $30 in parts, $10 in labour, and you want to make $10 profit. Charge $50, right? Not so fast. First, you have to design the product, which costs $10,000, in labour, parts, and tooling. Sell 10 controllers, and they cost $1050 each. Sell 10,000, and they cost $51 each.

I just pulled those numbers out of my behind, but I hope it illustrates the reason prices start high and then drop, and why Wallmart will always charge less than a small store.

Renzatic

Suspended
I just pulled those numbers out of my behind, but I hope it illustrates the reason prices start high and then drop, and why Wallmart will always charge less than a small store.

That would explain a new product that required a ton of R&D to put on store shelves. But these are bog standard bluetooth controllers that use a preset API to interface with apps designed for them on one specific platform. Most of the work is done by the app programmers, not the controller manufacturers. They're not blazing any new ground here, and shouldn't be spending $10,000 in labor to produce one.

I could justify $60, but $100 is a little above and beyond. Personally, I believe it's licensing costs. Apple's charging a goodly chunk for accessories to carry that MFi logo.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
That would explain a new product that required a ton of R&D to put on store shelves. But these are bog standard bluetooth controllers...

As discussed above, they've reinvented the D-Pad! The body isn't just off the shelf either.

Personally, I believe it's licensing costs. Apple's charging a goodly chunk for accessories to carry that MFi logo.

You may well be right, I don't have a clue how much that costs.

Something to consider though, you already have the iPhone or iPad or iPod touch, so the controller is cheaper than an Xbox, and the games are much cheaper, so it may well be worth it - in a few years.

Alith

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
London, UK.
How much R&D do you need for a generic controller like this? Just use the same shell as all the 3rd party XBOX/PS controllers your company makes and whack in the relevant electronics. I still don't see how companies can't churn out iOS controllers alongside their other console offerings with minimal overhead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.