Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KettyKrueger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
UK
Hi all,

Long time, no post!

I'm after a way to keep copies (exported versions?) of all my photos stored on my NAS drive (QNAP TS-212), for other devices in the household to access.

I've thought about relocating my originals files to the NAS drive, but then I wouldn't have the latest, edited version...kinda defeats the point.

Any ideas?

Thanks, KK

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Maybe I don't understand, but why not create a library or folder structure of photos to share on the NAS in addition to your archive of originals? You can have more than one Aperture library.

If you're talking about multiple users accessing the same photos and editing separately, you really need some kind of server setup. Aperture isn't a multi-user application. That being said, if you restrict access or can somehow keep track of photos someone else edits you could import those back into your Aperture library.

KettyKrueger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
UK
Maybe I don't understand, but why not create a library or folder structure of photos to share on the NAS in addition to your archive of originals? You can have more than one Aperture library.

If you're talking about multiple users accessing the same photos and editing separately, you really need some kind of server setup. Aperture isn't a multi-user application. That being said, if you restrict access or can somehow keep track of photos someone else edits you could import those back into your Aperture library.

Hi. No, I'm not wanting multiple access to the Aperture library. I just want all my edited versions available on the NAS for viewing on other devices, preferably done automatically.

Does that make sense?

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
It makes sense, but you can't.

An Aperture LIBRARY (as opposed to the photos) isn't supposed to be stored on a NAS.

You could, however, store all your photos, included ones you've edited, on the NAS. It gets messy if you try to then access those photos as referenced photos from another Aperture library. But the photos themselves are certainly available for viewing.

KettyKrueger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
UK
It makes sense, but you can't.

An Aperture LIBRARY (as opposed to the photos) isn't supposed to be stored on a NAS.

You could, however, store all your photos, included ones you've edited, on the NAS. It gets messy if you try to then access those photos as referenced photos from another Aperture library. But the photos themselves are certainly available for viewing.

I was thinking of some sort of script to automatically export versions at a pre-set time/date.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I was thinking of some sort of script to automatically export versions at a pre-set time/date.

You could setup Carbon Copy Cloner (or various other utilities) to schedule a copy to the NAS. Other users could use iPhoto or Aperture to access that library copy to access the pix. If they screw it up. It really doesn't matter as a new copy will be created on the next copy. Your local copy will always be the master.

Downside to this is that it might be ℅ fusing to the other users. If they want to work on their own stuff they end to be sure they aren't using the NAS library instead of their own. If they don't add/edit photos then it's not a big deal.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I'm not sure if Aperture has the equivalent of publish services as LR does, but in LR you publish to a folder or folders. Then you can easily sync in either direction. Folks use that as a way to sync with iPads. Might work in your case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.