Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 7, 2014, 03:26 PM   #26
Semester
macrumors regular

I like it, less text more symbols. You grasp it much quicker.
Semester is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 03:26 PM   #27
Branskins
macrumors 6502a

Love the changes to the keyboard!

The darker green icons look a little iOS 6-y to me. Might need to see it in person to see if it looks better.
Branskins is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 03:27 PM   #28
osx11
macrumors 6502a

Apple is listening.....a little bit.......
osx11 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 03:28 PM   #29
jlnr
macrumors regular

Just like iOS 7 itself, this update focuses on the phone form factor. My most optimistic theory is that iOS 8 will be introduced along with the iPad Pro. :/
jlnr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 03:28 PM   #30
Wiesenlooser
macrumors 6502

Call screen is kind of... weird? looks unfinished.
Wiesenlooser is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 03:29 PM   #31
macchiato2009
macrumors 65816

iOS 7.1 will be a useless cosmetic update

a new keyboard such as Swype would have a much a better improvement
macchiato2009 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 03:29 PM   #32
achtung!
macrumors regular

this is fake! that circular power off button is off-center (top and bottom margins bigger than left margin)! :P
achtung! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 03:29 PM   #33
stark93
macrumors member

So. Many. Circles.
stark93 is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 03:30 PM   #34
LastLine
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR99 View Post
Not really digging' the smaller 'call' button...

Everything else is ok though.
I'm agreed - I can't understand how making your device have smaller buttons is a good idea.

I love iOS 7, but I can't understand this change logic.
LastLine is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 03:30 PM   #35
numlock
macrumors 65816

whats the deal with having all this unused space in the dialer app?

it was better when they first released the phone
numlock is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 03:30 PM   #36
Millah
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
wow !

and nobody thought apple could innovate!

seriously though these changes are so minor it's a joke.

Apple needs to take a cue from Google and push larger changes on a more frequent manner.
Redesigning the entire operating system apparently isn't "big" enough. While Google's been sitting on Android 4.X for years now.

Yep, you're so totally right. Not saying 4.1-4.4 haven't included some neat features, but they've slowed down substantially since releasing 4.0. Mainly because they found a good design and didn't want to fix something if it wasn't broken. You know, kinda like Apple did from iOS 1-6. And now that they HAVE done a substantial overhaul with an entirely new design personality as well as some substantial and incredibly powerful new APIs, you're saying Apple isn't "pushing larger changes"

Lol.
Millah is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 03:32 PM   #37
rp2011
macrumors regular

Steve Jobs was known to call people in the middle of the night to complain about the subtlest issues with colors and icons etc. Sure doesn't seem like there is anyone on board with that attention to detail anymore. So many questionable design choices.
rp2011 is online now   19 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 03:33 PM   #38
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobot View Post
I agree
Yeah, I don't see the benefit. All it does is reduce the hit area. I guess now you can see more if your Contact's photo? :rollseyes:

The thing I hate most about iOS 7 looks-wise is the neon, so I'm very pleased they're darkening it.

And to everyone saying "why are they working on x instead of y," it's not like they have one UX designer. They work on many things at once.

At any rate, .1 updates are usually very minor; this one already looks bigger than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp2011 View Post
Steve Jobs was known to call people in the middle of the night to complain about the subtlest issues with colors and icons etc. Sure doesn't seem like there is anyone on board with that attention to detail anymore. So many questionable design choices.
The same things were said when Aqua debuted in OS X. Remember the pinstripes? Apple changed the UI in very little time; it will take time to be refined, just like Aqua was.
Cougarcat is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 03:33 PM   #39
hansonjohn590
macrumors 6502

Thankfully, slide to answer is now a button. I've been having major issues with getting my phone to respond to the slide.
hansonjohn590 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 03:33 PM   #40
The Doctor11
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by stark93 View Post
So. Many. Circles.
More like to many circles.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 03:33 PM   #41
petsk
macrumors regular

Why don't you fix the broken Touch ID instead? Or what about the constantly crashing iPad Mini Retina? It's a nightmare to use either of them. I never thought Apple would sink this far. SJ would never have agreed to releasing such ****** software as iOS 7.
petsk is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 03:34 PM   #42
thisisdallas
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by macchiato2009 View Post
iOS 7.1 will be a useless cosmetic update

a new keyboard such as Swype would have a much a better improvement
Having used Swype regularly on my old phone, I can confidently say that typing on the iOS keyboard is much faster with practice. I personally don't miss swype at all and would probably opt out if they even offered it as an optional feature.
thisisdallas is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 03:38 PM   #43
Rogifan
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco83 View Post
Apparently no one who has ever worked in making UI aesthetics has ever heard the saying "change for change's sake" and how it is often unnecessary.

A few month long beta to introduce circles over rectangles...is there honestly not more important products or problems these people could be working on?
Tell that to everyone here still obsessing over app icons designs.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp2011 View Post
So many questionable design choices.
Yes, like faux leather, green felt and fake wood grain.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 03:39 PM   #44
testcard
macrumors 65816

MR, if you're going to show before and after icon comparisons, at least line them up correctly. New Phone icon above the old Phone icon, perhaps? And the same with Messages... And on a similar background.
testcard is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 03:39 PM   #45
TrentS
macrumors 6502

Apple iOven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco83 View Post
Apparently no one who has ever worked in making UI aesthetics has ever heard the saying "change for change's sake" and how it is often unnecessary.

A few month long beta to introduce circles over rectangles...is there honestly not more important products or problems these people could be working on?
I agree! My mom recently bought a new Samsung oven for her kitchen. The darn thing is neat, but it so hard to program the slightest little thing. Just think if Apple came out with their own kitchen oven, how they could make the simplest little task on it easy to program. You could "start" baking your food by at church with your iPhone - get updates on its progress without even being there! Apple could be working on new products like this and take the appliance world by surprise!

TrentS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 03:40 PM   #46
chimerical
macrumors regular

Would be interesting if the capital letters on the keys changed to lowercase letters when toggling the "Shift" key. Then people wouldn't have to check the mode of said Shift key.
chimerical is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 03:40 PM   #47
Ventilatedbrain
macrumors regular

I do not know what most people are on about ..I personally like these changes
Ventilatedbrain is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2014, 03:41 PM   #48
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Apple is overthinking it.

Also, too many apps that do the same thing. Facetime/Phone/Contacts can all be combined as one app.

And please do something about that ridiculous Photos icon art.

Music app looks fine the way it is. Now it's too pink. This should be a black/white/grey UI color, not pink. Honsetly, the repeat and shuffle "buttons" should be symbols, not words. It looks like it's struggling to stay on the screen. Again, inconsistency in design. Words or symbols, not both.

I like the old call screen with the rectangle better. Made it easier to make sure I end the call before I start cussing.

Icons are still inconsistent. If Yahoo can get consistent icons for their websites, Apple can do.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 03:43 PM   #49
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastLine View Post
I'm agreed - I can't understand how making your device have smaller buttons is a good idea.

I love iOS 7, but I can't understand this change logic.
I see several possible reasons for the change, at least as far as the incoming call screen is concerned...
1. To make the contact photo more visible.
2. To space out the buttons so you're less likely to hit the wrong one.
3. To make it more consistent with other iOS7 interface elements.
4. To give it its own characteristic look (the current screen strongly resembles its counterpart on Windows Phone.)
Old Jan 7, 2014, 03:43 PM   #50
rp2011
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Tell that to everyone here still obsessing over app icons designs.

----------

Yes, like faux leather, green felt and fake wood grain.
At least the overall design was thoughtfully put together like a finished product. And for the time, it was better than anything else on the market. This looks like a haphazard work in progress by a design student.
rp2011 is online now   7 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion