Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is experiencing multiple development issues with its iWatch, according to a new report from The Information (via Business Insider). The company is said to be facing challenges with screen technology, battery life, and manufacturing.

Multiple iWatch rumors have suggested that Apple is planning to incorporate an OLED display into its smart watch, but The Information notes that the company is actually having difficulties deciding on a screen technology for the device, primarily due to battery issues. For that reason, Apple considered new screen technologies to improve battery life late last year.

Reports of the iWatch's poor battery life first surfaced in early 2013, indicating that prototypes of the watch were seeing just a few days of battery power before needing to be recharged, with Apple hoping to expand battery life to at least four or five days between charges. It appears that battery life is still a major issue for the device, which is said to utilize a 100mAh battery that is comparable to the 105mAh battery in the sixth-generation iPod nano.

ipod_nano_watchface_wrist-800x411.jpg
Sixth-generation iPod nano with watch face
The Information's report also appears to confirm a rumor from earlier this week, which suggested Apple was facing yield problems due to the finish treatments for the body of the device.

Apple reportedly shut down "advanced prototyping" of the watch with an unspecified manufacturer in late 2013, but it is unclear whether the shift was due to the developmental snags. In late 2013, rumors pegged Quanta as Apple's iWatch manufacturing partner.

Along with manufacturing issues, iWatch development has also been somewhat impacted by the loss of a key team member, Bryan James, who recently left Apple for Nest. James, who previously worked on iPods, was a member of the iWatch team.

Despite the numerous issues Apple is facing with iWatch development, the company still has a "sizable team" working on overcoming the device's problems. These snags are not expected to delay the iWatch, however, which still has a prospective release date of late 2014 according to the most recent rumors.

Article Link: Battery, Screen and Manufacturing Issues Plaguing Apple's iWatch Development

Bensalama21

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
"Only a couple days battery life" ?? Seriously? That is already a day and a half longer than my Galaxy Smart Watch...

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Sooo official iWatch is official then. This is no longer 'rumored reports'....?

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2013
Can't wait to get my hands on a smart watch. It can go with the iPad I never use and the AppleTV I never use.

So psyched to have a limited version of an iPhone which I can only use with one hand.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Can't wait to get my hands on a smart watch. It can go with the iPad I never use and the AppleTV I never use.

So psyched to have a limited version of an iPhone which I can only use with one hand.

Why do you buy products you don't use?

Alumeenium

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
ZERO use for this product

what a waste of "innovation"

are they coming out with a "Smart Sneaker" or an "iToaster" next

:mad:

TNSF

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2010
There is a name for all these issues that are "plaguing" Apple's iWatch. Its called product development. You know, the process you go thru when creating something new.

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
It may be time to lay this experiment to rest Tim. How about putting the energy spent on iWatch into your current line of products, and come up with some truly amazing tech that none can compete with for the foreseeable future?

dlowings

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2011
IMO the iphone 5s is still having battery and multi touch screen issues. I had to return mine last week. I feel like quality control has really slipped at apple. Someone in upper management needs to be taken to the wood shed .

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
This idiot product will never see the light of day. Its just Apple spreading misinformation to mislead Samsung. Just like that big-ass iPad.

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Wouldn't you just rather wear a nice, classy aluminium or leather strap watch instead of this? :confused:

macse30

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
My Pebble keeps on ticking, and now they've introduced a dressier version. I'm sure iWatch will be great, but Pebble deserves credit for keeping it simple and getting the job done with tiny fraction of the resources.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
ZERO use for this product

what a waste of "innovation"

are they coming out with a "Smart Sneaker" or an "iToaster" next

:mad:

Just because that is true for you does not mean its a waste of innovation, or true for anyone else. I can not wait for it to come out myself (I have/can see multiple uses for this).

arian19

macrumors demi-god
Jul 9, 2008
Why can't the band hold the entire battery... each segment in the band can be a battery cell. boom problem solved.

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
It may be time to lay this experiment to rest Tim. How about putting the energy spent on iWatch into your current line of products, and come up with some truly amazing tech that none can compete with for the foreseeable future?

Right. Because that's so easy to do. The three major Apple innovations over the last decade--iPod, iPhone and iPad--have really spoiled us to where anything short of market upheaval with a product is unacceptable and a waste of time. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.