Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luckycharms

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
Hi Folks,

I looked into this a while back, and now wondering if the landscape had changed yet. I'd like Outlook and my iDevices to play nice and sync calendar and contacts auto-magically online. It's my understanding that this is possible via google calendar, but google can tend to mangle calendar events and contacts, so I was warned off of that solution.

I'm wondering if a better solution has popped it's head up. I feel like a dinosaur syncing my devices via cable and iTunes in order to get their calendars and contacts synced up.

thanks for any suggestions!

iPhone 4S, 6.1.1, JB
laptop, Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 with Outlook 2010
iPad 1, 5.1.1, JB

harrisonw1998

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2011
Outlook accounts can be added from the Settings app. Go to Settings>Mail, Contacts and Calendars>Add Accounts>Outlook.com

Hope this helps.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I had outlook forever then after having trouble syncing my contacts, and having moved to online mail, I left OL completely.

I imported my contacts into OSX's Contact Book, because I know it will sync with other Apple devices no prob, and it's been a bliss ever since. I do use the WEEK Calendar App on my IOS because it got more features but it seems to sync with my OSX calendar just fine.

No cable, no attention needed, everything is automatic. It's a beautiful life.

luckycharms

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
Thanks. I might try running my own Zimbra server on a VPS. I'm not sure there's another good solution out there for us Windows users. I could sync to google calendar, but i've heard that google contacts really suck, and who wants to split up calendar and contacts?

Any other suggestions welcome. I could go the hotmail route as suggested above, but will that mangle any of my contacts?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Syncing Google contacts and calendar with Outlook for Windows is an exercise in frustration. There have been 3rd party methods but I didn't like any of them.

I haven't seen Outlook 2013 in action syncing mail, contacts and calendars with an outlook.com account. If you try it let us know what happens.

I do know that a $4/month Outlook 365 account works just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.