Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At CES this week, a new product was introduced to monitor a variety of home environmental factors in an effort to improve quality of life for its buyers. The CubeSensor is a small cube with seven sensors to "help you live better", according to the company that makes them.

NewImage1.png
The small devices measure air quality, temperature, humidity, noise, light, and atmospheric pressure and notify users via visual and push notifications so they can make adjustments as needed to improve their environment. A room could be too bright to sleep well, or too dark to work, and users may not notice that their environment could be negatively affecting them.

According to TechCrunch:
The idea behind the project comes from consumers growing increasingly interested in data about their own lives, especially where health and fitness are concerned. Yet there's no all-encompassing product that monitors the health level of your own environment.

Knowing that people often care a great deal about the aesthetics of the home, CubeSensors was designed to be discreet and attractive, with the option to be wirelessly connected (and charged periodically) or plugged in.
CubeSensors are available in 2, 4 or 6 packs, along with a base station, for $300 to $600. They are expected to ship later in the first quarter of 2014.

The CubeSensor demo app is available via the company's website to see what sort of information the cube shares with its owners.

Article Link: CES 2014: CubeSensors Monitor Air Quality and Other Environmental Factors

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Lol all these sensors gadgets are way overpriced for the average person.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Kind of a cool idea but I don't think it'll catch on at that price point. Make em $20 a room and I'd consider picking a few up.

hydr

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2009
If it was 1/3 the price, and measured Radon gas I would be interested.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
Lol all these sensors gadgets are way overpriced for the average person.

I like the idea of these, but they're way too costly.

Totally agree with both. Don't get me wrong, I understand the time, effort, and start up cost that goes into all these cool gadgets. But seriously, $300 - $600? It just feels like these companies are just jacking up the price through the roof these days. Good for you if you can afford one, but I think I have better things to do before I spend this kind of money...

I also think the video is pretty bad, so the guy with the glasses doesn't realize when it's too dark and needs to turn on the light? Feels like another unnecessary first world solution, trying to fix a first world problem.

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
So I need to spend hundreds of dollars because I have no sense of the world around me, and I shouldn't even bother to try to fix my own obliviousness, because a little cube will fix everything. Or rather, it will tell me what to fix. This isn't even a first world problem. This is creating a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

And I'm usually the person to jump in with "if you don't want one then don't buy one, but other people might want it," but this is just ridiculous.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
So I need to spend hundreds of dollars because I have no sense of the world around me, and I shouldn't even bother to try to fix my own obliviousness, because a little cube will fix everything. Or rather, it will tell me what to fix. This isn't even a first world problem. This is creating a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

And I'm usually the person to jump in with "if you don't want one then don't buy one, but other people might want it," but this is just ridiculous.

http://unhappyhipsters.com/

N64

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
Lost Woods
I also think the video is pretty bad, so the guy with the glasses doesn't realize when it's too dark and needs to turn on the light? Feels like another unnecessary first world solution, trying to fix a first world problem.

Not even a "first world problem". Who needs a cube to tell him to turn the lights up? That's like 10X the effort (without the cost of the cube itself) of figuring it out yourself and turning the lights up.

What exactly does it monitor? Which gases, or does it monitor dust amounts? The video doesn't say anything about CO2, NO, NO2, CO, O3...

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Not even a "first world problem". Who needs a cube to tell him to turn the lights up? That's like 10X the effort (without the cost of the cube itself) of figuring it out yourself and turning the lights up.

What exactly does it monitor? Which gases, or does it monitor dust amounts? The video doesn't say anything about CO2, NO, NO2, CO, O3...

Their website isn't that much better either...

http://cubesensors.com/#benefits

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Really cool idea but I'm not paying $300 for you to tell me my rooms to bright or to dark. Mostly because I deside these things for my self. Tell me how these sell at this price. You'll make so much more money if it's on TV for $19.99. But don't forget to double my offer and give me 2 cuz I never see that coming:D

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
Really cool idea but I'm not paying $300 for you to tell me my rooms to bright or to dark. Mostly because I deside these things for my self. Tell me how these sell at this price. You'll make so much more money if it's on TV for $19.99. But don't forget to double my offer and give me 2 cuz I never see that coming:D

I think my biggest problem with all these devices is that some how as long as you have the following keywords: iPhone (smartphone in general), Home automation, Wifi, Apps, etc. Along with a high tech and cartoon like website, tag on a apple style video. You can automatically add another $100-200 to your product, even if you know it really doesn't worth that much.

Looks like it is becoming a trend, if you take look any any of these gadgets makers, their website pretty much follows the same recipe.

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
I've been interested in a standalone IP-enabled thermometer that could send temperature readings to my phone. Oddly enough, for a device that would be technologically simple, there isn't much out there. I can see why a device like this could have a buyer.

But like so many products I've looked at, this is overpriced and over-engineered for what I'd need it to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.