Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTmDS-_SfpY

This video shows an interesting setup by a Mac Pro user. He packs his Mac Pro, wireless keyboard and mouse into a DSLR bag, and hooks it up to a usb monitor.

It's not perfect though. There is obviously that whole risk aspect about keeping such an expensive device with you at all times, plus there is noticeable lag when using a USB display.

However, the notion sounds quite cool.

What do you think? Jokes aside about seeing such setups at Starbucks some day, do you think this might be practical? Obviously, the user would need to be tethered to a power outlet when working, but...

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
We carried our CRT monitor and desktop computer in the car for a trip once. Often times the game consoles go away with us too.

Honestly, it's weird, but people do it. Being that the new MP is small, it really doesn't seem such a bad idea. Put some wheels, add a handle that attaches to the inner sides on it and you're golden.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
I think a similar sized 80-300 2.8 zoom lens or Nikon D4 is more expensive, so carrying the value is not a big problem.

It is a lot of volume to carry a decent GPU though. If you don't need a GPU, apple has a way more portable desktop about as fast as an entry Pro (it even can beat its PCI SSD speed we saw in another topic).

And I don't get the USB screen. I mean, that thing needs power too, so why not take a HDMI one?

Cubemmal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
I've been thinking of doing the same. Seems kind of silly though, I have MBP's which fill this duty better.

I wouldn't use a backpack like that. I have a Pelican case that would be much better.

Likewise USB monitors are a joke IMO, especially connected to the nMP. Instead I would use a real HDMI portable monitor with this.

Cubemmal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
I would use the Pelican 1510 case instead

pelican-flashlights_2264_15529232

I have one of these and it should fit the nMacPro, portable monitor I mentioned, keyboard, mouse, and cables, and is airline safe. I'll note that people have used Pelicans in the past with custom foam inserts to transport their Old Mac Pros. This one is carry-on approved.

I'm considering using it to take the nMP with me when I go on vacation. Even if I don't use it might be nice to keep it with me so I know it's secure. The case can be locked, and secured to furniture, etc.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
That's why some people have a MacBook Pro...

It depends, for majority of people, the MBP would be enough for on the go jobs, but some jobs (eg: filming w/ cine cams + 4K res and etc etc) will require more juice then what a MBP could provide, the nMP form factor is very appealing in these kind of situations :cool:

CH12671

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2013
Southern US
I've been thinking of doing the same. Seems kind of silly though, I have MBP's which fill this duty better.
Agreed

I have a Pelican case that would be much better.
Agreed

----------

And I don't get the USB screen. I mean, that thing needs power too, so why not take a HDMI one?

Yes, but the USB monitor gets it's power through the USB bus....so no extra power brick to add to your case....I think that's the point.

However, I agree, and HDMI solution would be much better since (obviously) you aren't going to turn the nMP on without AC power....

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Yes, but the USB monitor gets it's power through the USB bus....so no extra power brick to add to your case....I think that's the point.
That is amazing. You would expect a 15 inch screen to draw at least 10-15 watts of power. On the other side, if you see how small switching PSU's are nowadays, it would not add much when included inside the screen. Then a normal 2 pole AC cable would be needed, which is very small as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.