Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

FLIR Systems showed off its FLIR ONE thermal imaging camera case for the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5 at CES 2014, allowing users to display heat signatures from live humans, animals, and environmental sources up to 100 feet away. In addition to its infrared capabilities, the FLIR ONE houses a rechargeable battery that can power the case for up to two hours, and also increases the battery of an iPhone by up to 50 percent.
FLIR_4.jpg
FLIR ONE's unique ability to see and measure infrared energy gives consumers a versatile new tool that can be applied in a wide variety of applications. For example, homeowners and contractors with a FLIR ONE can easily identify heat or cooling leaks in buildings, find studs in walls, or locate water damage. An outdoor enthusiast can observe wildlife, day or night, navigate in the dark, determine if the day's catch is fully cooked, or make sure a campfire is out by using FLIR ONE. A family can detect intruders in total darkness, find a lost pet, or see through smoke in an emergency using a FLIR ONE.
FLIR_2.jpg
FLIR also says a developer SDK for the device is in the works for late 2014, with select developers getting early access. The FLIR ONE camera case itself will begin shipping in Spring 2014 and will come in grey, white, or gold and sell for $350.

Article Link: CES 2014: FLIR Systems Debuts 'FLIR ONE' Thermal Camera Case for iPhone 5s and iPhone 5

cicero66

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2013
@keysofanxiety - is trolling still a fashion on Macrumors ?

Congrats FLIR Systems - it looks like an awesome technology and very practical too.

arekm

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2014
There is one major problem with this device. FLIR ommited the most important thing in every promo material and specification for this device - resolution.

That suggests that the resolution is very, very bad and the thing is just a gadget :-(

Better look at regular Flir E4 (80x60) camera that can be easily hacked to E8 resolution (320x240).

The IPhone accessory is most likely worse than Flir E4.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
There is one major problem with this device. FLIR ommited the most important thing in every promo material and specification for this device - resolution.

That suggests that the resolution is very, very bad and the thing is just a gadget :-(

Better look at regular Flir E4 (80x60) camera that can be easily hacked to E8 resolution (320x240).

Yes but a separate device at 3 times the price isn't going to be the best option for a lot of potential buyers. I'd say that most people who need high resolution (e.g. rescue teams) are going to be spending thousands on high end models anyway, this is aimed at those further down the scale such as it mentions in the blurb for whom resolution isn't going to be a major issue, such as locating heat-loss spots or intruders in a dark house.

x s

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2008
I wonder if these will fall under the ITAR export laws as well. When I bought my HS-324 I basically had to hand over my soul to the CIA.

I guess these cases will be very low resolution so that the Taliban cannot mount iPhones to their AK47's.

This is still a fantastic product though.

I believe the Lepton sensor used in this product is designed to not be restricted by ITAR export regulations (so you shouldn't have to deal with the CIA anymore).

----------

I'm confident the thermal resolution will not be worse than the E4 model; with MSX you'll probably even get VGA blended images!

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
This reminds me of those ads in the back of comic books (when I was a kid, a long, long time ago) for X-ray vision glasses.

The future really is now!

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
I would love to get this but at this point I'll be picking up an iPhone 6 in Sept and the form factor is most likely going to change then. Wish it was mainly just a clip on instead of what appears to be a case form factor.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
What benefit is a thermal camera with a 100 ft range other than checking if your meal is 'warm' enough?

Granted 100ft is pretty far for indoors - but it would only be practical if it can see through a regular wall (sheetrock) to locate a person in another room.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
For a limited time only, FLIR Systems is teaming up with House Key Scanning Service 'KeyMe' for our Burglar's Special™.

Scan in the key of your ex, a co-worker, or any key you can get your hands on to have a duplicate mailed to you through KeyMe's easy-to-use key replication service. Along with "your" key, you'll receive a coupon for 50% off the FLIR ONE Thermal Camera Case.

Tired of getting caught in the act when breaking and entering? FLIR ONE will help you determine whether that house, office, or business you're trying to sneak into is currently occupied.

Reduce your chances of getting caught or shot at when you're out robbing or snooping. Order the Burglar's Special™ today — it's a steal!

Mention MacRumors and you'll get an extra 10% off your purchase. ;)

Last edited:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Site says it'll cost less than $350 which probably means $349.99.

Based on their images, it's pretty good at least compared to truly heat cameras in the same price segment - it seems to be slightly below QVGA. For this price, it seems to be a good buy.

----------

I think $350 is not so bad compared to what thermal cameras currently cost.

Definitely. A higher-resolution one (e.g., a VGA-resolution one) is easily over some thousands of $.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.