Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biglipps66

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2012
Ive used handheld FLIR devices when they first hit the market for police work, I must say they are completely amazing.

There are TONS of uses for this, Ill be buying one for sure and using it for home energy applications.

t76turbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
I'm getting one for sure as well.

I piss away more money than this on more stupid things.... So even if I find some ways to improve insulation in my home and nothing else, it will be worth it.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I'm getting one for sure as well.

I piss away more money than this on more stupid things.... So even if I find some ways to improve insulation in my home and nothing else, it will be worth it.

I have a digital infrared thermometer with a laser sight that I bought to read cooking oil temperatures, etc. that was more than good enough to address problem spots with wall insulation. I think I originally paid $30 for mine and today decent models are going for about $15-$20.

That said, it definitely lacks the cool factor of an infrared imaging system. :cool:

Elijen

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Am I the only one who does not buy the X-RAY thing? It's clearly a misleading ad.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Am I the only one who does not buy the X-RAY thing? It's clearly a misleading ad.

I thought the same thing...."wow, this camera can take x-ray like pics of bones??" but then realized they are just showing all of the different spectra of light with only one of them being "infra-red" with that one showing a much less impressive picture of anything!

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Of course the problem with making this a device specific size is that it won't work with the much rumored phablet-sized iPhone 6.

That's generally not a problem with a case or even a battery pack, but at $349.99, that puts it above the level of a throwaway/impulse buy (at least for me).

pj-uk

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2011
London
Ok, i'm going to ask ....can you see underneath clothing with this?

Nope. IR doesn't travel through walls, windows or clothing (unless you wear a plastic bag). The only time you might see someone through a wall is if they were hot enough to heat the wall up :p

Got a few IR cameras at work and they cost around $100k but can capture at HD at around 500Hz. Even a standard 50Hz high res camera will set you back $50-60k :eek:

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
There is one major problem with this device. FLIR ommited the most important thing in every promo material and specification for this device - resolution.

That suggests that the resolution is very, very bad and the thing is just a gadget :-(

Better look at regular Flir E4 (80x60) camera that can be easily hacked to E8 resolution (320x240).

The IPhone accessory is most likely worse than Flir E4.

I'm not convinced that's a major problem. Possibly the frame rate will be bad too but that shouldn't get in the way of its utility. Except maybe for those interested in seeing through clothes.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
My guess is that a few hours of using this (and a caulk gun) to go around your house and identify air leaks would pay for itself in energy savings many times over.

In fact, I bet I could get 5 or 10 of my neighbors to split the price and then eBay the thing and do it all for $25 a person. :D

John Bokma

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
There is one major problem with this device. FLIR ommited the most important thing in every promo material and specification for this device - resolution.

That suggests that the resolution is very, very bad and the thing is just a gadget :-(

Better look at regular Flir E4 (80x60) camera that can be easily hacked to E8 resolution (320x240).

Yeah, if only they had a gallery online with photos and movies, right?

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
Cool product and concept integrating with iOS. I'm sure resolution will get better with time or pricing will eventually slip even further over the very affordable $350.

Can't wait for the reviews.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I think this is pretty cool. I will wait to see if a second generation comes out with a higher resolution.

On my way to CES now, will have to stop by the booth and check it out!!!!!

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010

Its not an ad. Its a diagram provided to journalists who might wish to explain the electromagnetic spectrum to their readers. You can find it on the FLIR press page alongside some other non-ads. That certain bloggers just used it willy-nilly isn't really FLIR's fault.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I'm not convinced that's a major problem. Possibly the frame rate will be bad too but that shouldn't get in the way of its utility. Except maybe for those interested in seeing through clothes.
Actually, if you look at the gallery they have up of actual shots, the framerate of the videos isn't at all bad--maybe 5 fps?--as is the resolution. Looks like somewhere in the ballpark of 150x100, which is not at all bad given how tiny it is and the reasonable price. Certainly good enough for consumer uses like finding leaks, insulation problems, studs, animals, etc.

It also looks like they're using the iPhone's built-in camera with some sort of edge-detection filter to add an overlay when there's visible light to give added virtual resolution and a better idea of what you're looking at (so you can see markings on the wall or objects that don't have a temperature gradient), which is pretty cool. I actually wish the older (and wildly more expensive) pro camera we had at work did that. Maybe their newer ones do, not sure.

I'm seriously considering getting one of these, that's for sure--it's practically worth $350 just for the awesome factor, and being able to find leaks and insulation issues would make it justifiably useful.

xdhd350

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010

Here is what FLIR says in a YT comment...

The simple answer is that the thermal sensor is 80x60 pixels & the visible camera is VGA, but the MSX blending in our FLIR ONE blends the visible camera & the thermal images - making the resolution appear much higher. When capturing still images we employ image enhancement that produces a 160x120 thermal image. The result? When asked, #CES2014 attendees have guessed the image is as high as 640x480.

Straight from the horse's mouth.

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
Resolution 80x60

Resolution for the FLIR ONE is 80 x 60, the visible light camera has a resolution of 640 x 480. The high resolution image of the ads are results of arithmetic phantasy.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Nice. Hopefully the next version would be better and with a lower price.
I also will wait until after the iPhone 6 comes out.

t76turbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Nice. Hopefully the next version would be better and with a lower price.
I also will wait until after the iPhone 6 comes out.

Thats my only concern. The new phone comes out and is a different size and now you have a $349 case sitting in a drawer. It would be nice if they somehow made it modular so the flir components could be moved to another case.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
The other problem with this device is its limited to iPhone 5 and 5S. The 5S has already been out for a few months. So to spend this kind of money on a device that will be obsolete basically in 2 years is nuts. It's like the olliclip camera lens. They need to make universal kits or swap out the hardware into another case so you only have to spend a few dollars vs couple hundred each time.

I don't want to be held back from upgrading to the next gen phone because of some 'attachment'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.