Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013
Why is it so expensive? These guys are nuts if they think they will sell at that price

Renzatic

Suspended
As discussed above, they've reinvented the D-Pad! The body isn't just off the shelf either.

Yeah, but $10,000, man. If they tested that new d-pad in a wind tunnel, I might see it costing that much to produce, but...

You may well be right, I don't have a clue how much that costs.

Something to consider though, you already have the iPhone or iPad or iPod touch, so the controller is cheaper than an Xbox, and the games are much cheaper, so it may well be worth it - in a few years.

I'm kinda going off the fact that every single iOS controller we've seen so far is the exact same price. The lightning port iPhone pads might be able to justify that cost, but these two standalones? I dunno. Something else has to be driving the price up.

I'm gonna agree with you though, they probably won't be this expensive for long, and what we're seeing now are the early adopter prices. See how well they take at a certain price before driving them down a bit once the big games that take advantage of them start showing up.

If things turn out alright, we'll have more expensive games, console quality games to play with less expensive controllers.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
because apple. thats their thing.

nice story but this isnt an apple product. nor are the other controllers. if all these companies are releasing products that you feel are too expensive, either one of two things: 1) stuff costs more than you think. 2) theyre charging too much, will feel the pain, and lower their prices.

----------

That would explain a new product that required a ton of R&D to put on store shelves. But these are bog standard bluetooth controllers that use a preset API to interface with apps designed for them on one specific platform. Most of the work is done by the app programmers, not the controller manufacturers. They're not blazing any new ground here, and shouldn't be spending $10,000 in labor to produce one.

I could justify $60, but $100 is a little above and beyond. Personally, I believe it's licensing costs. Apple's charging a goodly chunk for accessories to carry that MFi logo.

have you brought a retail good to market? i have. in an established product category, but that didnt alleviate the need to do a *lot* of work ourselves -- products dont design themselves. designers, electrical engineers, programmers, quality control, marketing....people dont work for free, each of this are one or more people, working for a salary to provide for their families. all this adds up.

it's completely a matter of volume -- with few customers, things cost more. with many customers, we can discount and make it up on volume. for a new company w/ a new SKU (regardless of how old the category may be), it costs more.

Last edited:

the-msa

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
lolwut? not sarcasm?
This isn't Apple's product, nor are they dictating pricing. There are plenty of affordable and over priced accessories for every ecosystem out there.

nice story but this isnt an apple product. nor are the other controllers. if all these companies are releasing products that you feel are too expensive, either one of two things: 1) stuff costs more than you think. 2) theyre charging too much, will feel the pain, and lower their prices.

my bad, not an apple product. but a product using the pricing policy of apple. its a product made specifically for iOS7, right? i even comes with a stand for iOS devices. if it was a generic gamepad, it would be much cheaper.

the dualshock 4 is also bluetooth, but does not cost 100$. yet the RP One doesnt even seem to have rumble. what gives?

Renzatic

Suspended
have you brought a retail good to market? i have. in an established product category, but that didnt alleviate the need to do a *lot* of work ourselves -- products dont design themselves. designers, electrical engineers, programmers, quality control, marketing....people dont work for free, each of this are one or more people, working for a salary to provide for their families. all this adds up.

it's completely a matter of volume -- with few customers, things cost more. with many customers, we can discount and make it up on volume. for a new company w/ a new SKU (regardless of how old the category may be), it costs more.

I can understand charging a little more for slower selling items, and that this controller probably won't sell as much as a Dual Shock for the PS4.

But with this, they and the other controller manufacturers are pricing them so high, they'll barely sell at all. $100 for a product that's basically a slight tweak of what's been around for the last 20 years is ridiculous. Mad Catz and other 3rd party controllers for the consoles, which likely require the same amounts of R&D, marketing, quality control, etc. only sell for $30-$40 off store shelves.

Like I said before, $60 I could understand. It's a little pricey, but justifiable. $100 for a well built, but ultimately standard bluetooth controller is just asking too much.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
my bad, not an apple product. but a product using the pricing policy of apple. its a product made specifically for iOS7, right? i even comes with a stand for iOS devices. if it was a generic gamepad, it would be much cheaper.

the dualshock 4 is also bluetooth, but does not cost 100$. yet the RP One doesnt even seem to have rumble. what gives?

It's ok - someone else replied to my post saying that if it is an official "made for ios" device, they have to pay a licensing fee and go through some steps to get that branding. That could also bring up the price. So, in a way you are right to call it the "Apple way" and my initial reply to you was too harsh. So I apologize for that. I see your point.

I do wish they were closer to the $50-60 mark. Maybe I am just used to Sony and Microsoft controllers costing that much. And third party generic controllers even cheaper!

vixducis

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Belgium
How about someone starting a kickstarter for a fairly cheap good MFi controller? Could be a real succes given the price of the current competitors.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I can understand charging a little more for slower selling items, and that this controller probably won't sell as much as a Dual Shock for the PS4.

But with this, they and the other controller manufacturers are pricing them so high, they'll barely sell at all. $100 for a product that's basically a slight tweak of what's been around for the last 20 years is ridiculous. Mad Catz and other 3rd party controllers for the consoles, which likely require the same amounts of R&D, marketing, quality control, etc. only sell for $30-$40 off store shelves.

Like I said before, $60 I could understand. It's a little pricey, but justifiable. $100 for a well built, but ultimately standard bluetooth controller is just asking too much.

You might be right that $100 prices means these won't sell, but that doesn't mean all these iOS controllers should be sold cheaper. Selling at a loss isn't necessarily better than not selling at a profit.

There is an existing, proven market for 3rd party console controllers; and the controller makers know they can spread their engineering/test/support/manufacturing/overhead costs across production runs of tens/hundreds of thousands of controllers. On the other hand, there's no guarantee iOS controllers will take off at any price, given you have gamers complaining about $1.99 being too expensive.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
youre right -- they should include profit on top of their costs.
No. It's business 101: you should price your product based on how much it is worth to your customers (=how much they'll pay).
If your costs (including margins) are higher than what your customers are willing to pay, you need to either 1) go back to the drawing board and cut costs OR 2) ditch the product.
Businesses that follow this rule succeed (example: Apple); the others fail.

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
These guys are nuts if they think they will sell at that price

I kind of understand why they are so expensive. But I also have to agree that at this price they just aren't going to sell very well. And the problem is, this will probably be received as 'nobody wanting the controller' rather than 'nobody wanting to pay such high prices for a controller'.

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013
I kind of understand why they are so expensive. But I also have to agree that at this price they just aren't going to sell very well. And the problem is, this will probably be received as 'nobody wanting the controller' rather than 'nobody wanting to pay such high prices for a controller'.

I agree. There is nothing special about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.