Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

IK Multimedia today introduced its "iRing," a finger-worn device serving as a motion-tracking controller. Primarily designed for iOS music apps, the iRing allows users to control sound effects and other music parameters within apps using hand gestures.

iring.jpg
The iRing has three linear markers on the palm-facing side and three triangle-shaped markers on the top that are read by the iPhone's front-facing camera, allowing simple hand movements to be translated into commands within supported apps. Up to six different parameters can be used in each app, with one or two hands completing gestures.
iRing uses patented advanced image-recognition, motion control and precise geometric positioning technology to give you control of assignable parameters within your apps. It uses the front-facing camera on your device to determine the exact position of the wearable rings, and recognizes and tracks the movement of the linear or triangular patterned iRing "rings" allowing you to control up to six parameters at a time.
The iRing is designed to be worn between two fingers and IK Multimedia claims that it is comfortable enough to be worn while operating musical instruments and other more traditional music controllers.

IK Multimedia's iRing includes two double-sided ring controllers and two free apps for music applications: iRing Music Maker and iRing FX/Controller. While the iRing Music Maker does not require any music knowledge and allows for simple gestures to change beats and control rhythmic elements, the iRing FX/Controller app is aimed at skilled musicians and DJs, converting information from the iRing into MIDI control information configured by the user.

IK Multimedia also plans to incorporate iRing compatibility into its range of music apps, including GrooveMaker, DJ Rig, AmpliTube, and more. The company also has a free development kit for developers that want to utilize iRing technology within their apps.

The iRing will be available during the first quarter of 2014 for $24.99. It can be pre-ordered from the IK Multimedia website.

Article Link: CES 2014: IK Multimedia Debuts 'iRing' Gesture Controller for Apps

Kurotenshi

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2013
What a blunt rip off! The company SourceAudio was created around the concept of controlling effects with a ring, countless musicians use the HotHand and now IK, as always, tries to sell a sad excuse for a copy of it. I used to love IK but now they bug me more and more every day, both their software and hardware solutions are outdated and they just don't seem to care...

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
The video is hilarious. How about using actual audio that is being created by this stuff instead of some background music that has absolutely NOTHING to do with the product.

As much as I like IK Multimedia, this is very, very poor (or to say it with the presenters own words: d'oh :p )

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
This product strikes me as incredibly dumb for multiple reasons and... I have no positive impression of it at all.

1 - It's called a ring, but you don't wear it on your finger. You wedge it between your fingers. I'm a bit skeptical that it'll actually be comfortable. They describe it as being "comfortable enough to use while playing an instrument", but what the hell does that mean? I could put my legs in boiling water and play an instrument at the same time - that doesn't make my legs comfortable.

2 - Why bother with an accessory at all if it just tracks it with the camera? Why not just make it recognize, oh, IDK, your hand?

3 - Why only music apps? I can't think of any instrument that leaves my hands free enough to make in-air gestures but constrained enough to not touch the screen.

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
This thing looks so pointless. It doesn't look like something that will help you MAKE music, more a musical game. All we saw was the "ring" interacting with the screen, no examples whatsoever.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
2 - Why bother with an accessory at all if it just tracks it with the camera? Why not just make it recognize, oh, IDK, your hand?

It's much easier to track objects in 3D space [with a normal camera] when they have a fixed size, color, and pattern.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.