Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
If it has a 60Hz refresh, then it sounds great... but I'm not quite convinced that 28" QuadHD is a sweet spot for a computer monitor. The pixels are going to be uncomfortably small at 1x, and at 2x there's not enough screen real estate for my liking. If there was a 1.5x mode in OSX (or arbitrary scaling), then I'd be a lot more happy.

The retina MBP has 4 scaling options (2 larger and 2 smaller than 2x), I hope the same is true of external monitors.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Thunderbolt might as well be proprietary. It's pretty much only used by Apple and the current TB display can't be plugged into anything else.

Not actually true there a lot of PC mother motherboards out now and a lot of the High end video workstation manufacturers are using them.

I don't expect it to be on a dell home machine for a while at least. remember it's intels baby and if they build it in it'll get used.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
There is really no reason to purchase an Apple display at current prices now.
Come on Apple, time to drop the prices on your overpriced displays again.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
All of my Dell Monitors have been solid and reliable. I still, haven't liked the industrial design of any I purchased. It's hard to tell from the photos, but I hope it has VESA (or similar) mount compatibility so proper stands or mounts can support it.

Having to buy adapters from Dell, or 3rd parties for their monitors has been a huge letdown on many past models from them.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
AFAIK it's because it's more expensive to produce smaller panels with the same number of pixels. The PPI will be higher and it will appear sharper.

With coupons the UP2414Q was down to $1200 a couple weeks ago. Still not cheap, but cheaper.

In the US perhaps, here it is still 1500 euro :( We never seem to get these types of deals. But I'll keep an eye on it.

I'll have to upgrade my Mac Mini first anyhow, it won't support 4K with its 6630M. And I don't want to buy one until it's on haswell.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
But isn't that the Mac mini???

Not even close.

The mini doesn't have a discrete graphics card, nor desktop class processors, I'm afraid.

The iMac was one of the most powerful Macs, until the new Mac Pro.

I just want one without the screen, and better thermal design. Essentially, a scaled down Mac Pro (esp. in price) would be nice.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
iMac can't drive any of them since you need Thunderbolt 2 to drive those.

Are you sure? Wikipedia says that DisplayPort supports up to 3840 × 2160 which is what this display is. I couldn't see Display Port only supporting displays only slightly higher than 2k, as HDMI already handled that space.

EvilEvil

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2007
New York City
I'm going to wait for other brands. Competition is good. Dells monitors are terrible and overrated. I don't understand why people continue to buy them.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
4K 28 Inch monitor at that price? Pretty cheap is their a catch to this?

Also, they year just started and all I am seeing is this 4K Ultra HD talk almost on every website even streaming websites like Netflix and Amazon Prime. Is 4K TVs even affordable yet to have it in your home? How about as a 3D TV? I rather wait until 3D TVs are without wearing those silly glasses and one other thing I thought they are working on 8K TVs so what is the point of 4K TVs if soon we will have to upgrade again.

4K streaming I am not sure I am excited about this when a lot of ISP's cap or throttle I doubt anyone can get a full aspect of a 4K through stream and for cable networks the only resolutions they broadcast in are 480i, 720p and 1080i there is no 1080p yet other than Pay Per View depending on your Cable provider and few 3D movies.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
A lot of people are wondering whether their current Mac will support this monitor or not.

If your Mac has Thunderbolt 1/mDP: Yes, but only at 30 Hz, which is fine for videos but a little choppy for computer use or gaming. I don't recommend dropping that amount of money on a monitor you'll only use at 30 Hz, unless you plan to upgrade your Mac in the not-so-distant future.

If your Mac has Thunderbolt 2: Yes, up to 60 Hz as long as OS X "whitelists" this monitor for use with Multi-Stream Transport (MST). Anandtech found the 24" version of this monitor does not work with MST under OS X (limiting the refresh rate to 30 Hz), but it's just a matter of time before Apple updates OS X with better 4K support and an updated MST whitelist. Meanwhile, it should work fine at 60 Hz under Windows 8.1.

If you own another device with DisplayPort: Make sure it has DisplayPort 1.2 in order to use this monitor's MST feature and reach 60 Hz, otherwise you're stuck at 30 Hz. DisplayPort 1.2 could theoretically do 4K at 60Hz without MST, but the current batch of 4K monitors don't support it. DisplayPort 1.3 should allow 4K at 60 Hz without the need for MST, thus making software support less complicated than it is right now. It's expected to come out in Q2 2014.

If you own another device with HDMI: If you have HDMI 1.3 or earlier, 4K won't work at all. If you have HDMI 1.4, it'll work, but you're stuck at 30Hz. Only HDMI 2.0 will allow 60 Hz UHD 4K and this monitor doesn't appear to include it (other Dell UHD 4K monitors in the same series don't). HDMI 2.0 is technically already released and has been available for license for a while, but computer monitors are only expected to include it starting in Q2 2014.

My advice is to get this if you need a new monitor and your device(s) already support 4K at 60 Hz using MST (if you have a Thunderbolt 2 Mac for instance). If you don't really need a new monitor right now and/or won't have a device that supports 4K at 60 Hz for a little while, I suggest waiting a few months for other UHD 4K monitors to come out with DisplayPort 1.3 (or DP 1.2 w/o MST requirement) and HDMI 2.0, which will allow greater compatibility at 60 Hz.

Update: Dell has apparently confirmed to Forbes that the monitor will only do 4K at 30 Hz, no matter the connector. You can dismiss all my previous post. Major deal breaker!

Last edited:

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
So, does anyone know if a 2012 1st gen 15" rMBP can drive a 4k display? I think the answer is no, but haven't gotten a clear answer.

I have that computer too and the video card nominally is capable of driving that resolution but I am not sure what the limitations are when connecting via thunderbolt or HDMI, it is possible that they are inferior to a dual stream DVI that the tech specs suggest. Check out the specs here:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gt-650m/specifications

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
120 Hz at 3840 x 2160? I'd read the fine print very closely to find out what the "120 Hz" actually means. Screen refresh at that rate would require 3 GByte or 24 Gbit per second, which is a bit much.
Hmm..perhaps it was 1440p for +120 Hz on that 27" panel and a lower refresh rate on the 4K one.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Will the current gen 2012 Mac Mini be able to drive this? HD4000 integrated gpu...

I want one!

Sort of. Any Mac with HDMI should be able to drive the 4K displays, but at only 24Hz or 30Hz depending on resolution. Fine for movies, bad for most other things.

You'd really need a thunderbolt 2 Mac, which are limited to the "pro" models (Mac Pro and retina Macbook Pro)

I doubt the Haswell Mac Mini will have thunderbolt 2 if the Haswell iMac doesn't even have it.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Why is 4K taking off all of a sudden? I feel like I was in a cave with 1080p.

I am curious about this too not even cable networks do not broadcast in 1080p so I really can not see the benefit for 4K other up converting which does not mean anything.

twinapple

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2014
Dell rock

My angry girlfriend pull my 7yrs old 24" Dell to the ground with cable connected and it is still working. I have total confident on Dell man...

shabbasuraj

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2004
I am looking forward to seeing the markdown on Thunderbolt Display refurbs at the Apple Store.

$500 would be perfect.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Why is 4K taking off all of a sudden? I feel like I was in a cave with 1080p.

Because big numbers are better than small numbers? :p So 4K (or 2160p) is better than 1080p.

TV & display makers need it to keep pushing screens out the door in a fairly saturated market. And consumers "need" it as we're suckers for buying the latest & greatest.

From a practical perspective, it'll be a while before there's a meaningful amount of 4K content available for TV. 4K PC displays are more practical. I'd guess a 4K screen could be better than a 1080p screen displaying 1080p content - it may allow finer smoothing/scaling.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
LOL at anyone who ordered that $3600 Sharp display that Apple is trying to sell on its website.

LOL at all the people who expected Apple to come out with a uber-expensive UHD display last year when the price UHD panels were obviously going to drop like a stone during 2014.

The pixels are going to be uncomfortably small at 1x, and at 2x there's not enough screen real estate for my liking. If there was a 1.5x mode in OSX (or arbitrary scaling), then I'd be a lot more happy.

This. This has been posted several times, including in a MR front page article, and it doesn't seem to have penetrated people's heads yet. Until Apple supports arbitrary DPI modes (like Windows) and persuades developers to write resolution-independent code, these are only going to be useful for people with better-than-20:20 eyesight who can work with tiny system fonts at native res, or as a secondary display for previewing UHD video.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
A lot of people are wondering whether their current Mac will support this monitor or not.

If your Mac has Thunderbolt 1/mDP: Yes, but only at 30 Hz, which is fine for videos but a little choppy for computer use or gaming. I don't recommend dropping that amount of money on a monitor you'll only use at 30 Hz, unless you plan to upgrade your Mac in the not-so-distant future.

If your Mac has Thunderbolt 2: Yes, up to 60 Hz as long as OS X "whitelists" this monitor for use with Multi-Stream Transport (MST). Anandtech found the 24" version of this monitor does not work with MST under OS X (limiting the refresh rate to 30 Hz), but it's just a matter of time before Apple updates OS X with better 4K support and an updated MST whitelist. Meanwhile, it should work fine at 60Hz under Windows 8.1.

If you own another device with DisplayPort: Make sure it has DisplayPort 1.2 in order to use this monitor's MST feature and reach 60Hz, otherwise you're stuck at 30Hz.

If you own another device with HDMI: If you have HDMI 1.3 or earlier, it won't work at all. If you have HDMI 1.4, it'll work, but you're stuck at 30Hz. Only HDMI 2.0 will allow 60Hz UHD 4K and this monitor doesn't appear to include it. HDMI 2.0 is expected to debut in Q2 2014.

Great info. Here's more from anand:

"How does Thunderbolt 2 differ from the original? For starters, it really would’ve been more accurate to call it Thunderbolt 4K. The interface is fully backwards compatible with Thunderbolt 1.0. You can use all previous Thunderbolt peripherals with the Mac Pro. What’s new in TB2 is its support for channel bonding. The original Thunderbolt spec called for 4 independent 10Gbps channels (2 send/2 receive). That meant no individual device could get access to more than 10Gbps of bandwidth, which isn’t enough to send 4K video.

Thunderbolt 2 bonds these channels together to enable 20Gbps in each direction. The total bi-directional bandwidth remains at 40Gbps, but a single device can now use the full 20Gbps. Storage performance should go up if you have enough drives/SSDs to saturate the interface, but more importantly you can now send 4K video over Thunderbolt."

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7603/mac-pro-review-late-2013/13

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.