Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamants

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2014
Hey there.

When one right-clicks in FLASH (in a browser), selects "settings" and choose the microphone or webcam options, one will find drop-down menus which contain sentence-case names of available devices. ("Default", "Built-In Microphone", "Facetime HD Camera" etc). In Windows, these are referred to as "friendlynames". Perhaps they are in OSX as well. I know that other applications access this same set of device "friendlyname"s, FLASH is just the one that came to mind.

Anyway, I need to be able to change these "friendlynames". I've trolled around through the ~Library without much luck in intuitively locating a .plist file. I'm assuming it's buried deeper on the system. I'm using Mountain Lion, btw.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Why do you need to change the "Friendly Names"?

I suspect it's buried much deeper in the OS than you are expecting it to be.

adamants

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2014
It's actually for video. We're doing a webcam segment but it needs to be operating-system agnostic. This is the last piece of the puzzle.

It seems like it should be written in plain English in some kind of config file... but I have noticed that application files can be opened in TextEdit and often they contain their own little internal file systems, much of which is configuration... written in some language... UNIX? I'm not a coder soidontknow

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.