Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 8, 2014, 03:05 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

T-Mobile's 'Un-Carrier 4.0' Initiative Offers Up to $350 Per Line to Switch Carriers

T-Mobile today announced its Un-Carrier 4.0 initiative, which will see the company offering to pay up to $350 in early termination fees for individuals and families (up to five lines) who switch from AT&T, Sprint, or Verizon to T-Mobile. Coupled with phone trade-ins, customers can receive up to $650 per line to change carriers.
Quote:
"We're giving families a 'Get Out of Jail Free Card,' said John Legere, president and chief executive officer of T-Mobile. "Carriers have counted on staggered contract end dates and hefty early termination fees to keep people bound to them forever. But now families can switch to T-Mobile without paying a single red cent to leave them behind."
Beginning tomorrow, customers who hand in eligible AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint devices at a participating T-Mobile location will receive an instant credit of up to $300 based on the value of the phone.

After purchasing a new device from T-Mobile, customers can send the final bill (with early termination fees) from their previous carriers to T-Mobile and the company will send an additional payment of up to $350 per line to pay those fees (actual fee paid is based on the early termination cost) in the form of a prepaid MasterCard.

Trading in an old phone, purchasing a new T-Mobile phone, porting a phone number, and signing up for a new T-Mobile plan are all required to quality for T-Mobile's new program.

Earlier this month, AT&T also announced plans to offer up to $450 in credits for customers switching from T-Mobile to AT&T. The company pays up to $250 for the trade-in of a current smartphone, plus an additional $200 for transferring wireless service.

T-Mobile counts this as its fourth initiative to disrupt traditional mobile service. The first came in March when the company unveiled its "Un-Carrier" plans that uncoupled device costs from service costs, while the second and third initiatives included the company's Jump upgrade plan and its unlimited texting and 2G data in 100 countries.

T-Mobile and competitor AT&T have been participating ongoing feud in 2013, which began after T-Mobile CEO John Legere called the AT&T network "crap." Most recently, AT&T threw John Legere out of a party hosted by the company at CES 2014.

Article Link: T-Mobile's 'Un-Carrier 4.0' Initiative Offers Up to $350 Per Line to Switch Carriers
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 03:07 PM   #2
treyjustice
macrumors 65816

bye bye AT&T
Old Jan 8, 2014, 03:07 PM   #3
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a

One word: aggressive.
avanpelt is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 03:08 PM   #4
ZacNicholson
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to ZacNicholson
t mobile is trying really hard to get people to switch
ZacNicholson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 03:09 PM   #5
MattMJB0188
macrumors 65816

All down for T-Mobile succeeding, but they need to fix the inconsistent HSPA data and upgrade EDGE to at least 3G. Why so much EDGE and GPRS in 2014, T-Mobile?

Once they fix the swiss cheese coverage, they'll be a real threat to AT&T and Verizon.
MattMJB0188 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 03:09 PM   #6
Stewie
macrumors 6502

If only they had decent coverage in my area along with better US roaming I would switch back to T-Mobile. Sadly where I live and work coverage is not very good and if you travel at all you might as well forget about tmobile. 50MB of roaming data is pathetic.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 03:11 PM   #7
arian19
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Most recently, AT&T threw John Legere out of a party hosted by the company at CES 2014.
They threw him out of a party... come on, that is a bit harsh....
arian19 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 03:11 PM   #8
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

$350 for families, that's it? What about incentives for individuals?
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 03:11 PM   #9
OneBagTravel
macrumors regular

OH HI CES

Old Jan 8, 2014, 03:12 PM   #10
spoonie1972
macrumors 6502

Bold.

I love it.

Wind is very aggressive price-wise in Canada - I wish they had the deep pockets (and built a larger, more stable network) to disrupt the collusion of the tri-opoly running the show here.

Good for T-Mobile. Excellent.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 03:12 PM   #11
darnovo
macrumors regular

why is everyone saying this is good / aggressive. I have an iPhone 5s from ATT and I'm not handing it over to TMobile for 350$. This would be an amazing deal if they just flat out paid your ETF fees for taking the leap and switching. However, they are paying you 350$ for your iPhone that you could sell on eBay for 500$

Give me 350$ no questions asked to switch to you TMobile, and I will
darnovo is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 03:13 PM   #12
Orlandoech.com
macrumors 68030

Wow... I just may cancel my VZ now... lol, even if Tmobile is inferior at the moment.
Orlandoech.com is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 03:13 PM   #13
BornAgainApple
macrumors 6502

Very tempted to take Mr. Legere up on his offer.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 03:16 PM   #14
Orlandoech.com
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnovo View Post
why is everyone saying this is good / aggressive. I have an iPhone 5s from ATT and I'm not handing it over to TMobile for 350$. This would be an amazing deal if they just flat out paid your ETF fees for taking the leap and switching. However, they are paying you 350$ for your iPhone that you could sell on eBay for 500$

Oh, I mis-read, I agree
Orlandoech.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 03:17 PM   #15
LiquidSpikes
macrumors member

"Earlier this month, AT&T also announced plans to offer up to $450 in credits for customers switching from the carrier to T-Mobile."

I think this is wrong, its supposed to say from T-Mobile to AT&T? right?
LiquidSpikes is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 03:18 PM   #16
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

Didn't tmobile just pick up a different lower frequency band off Verizon's network for a few billion? Sounds like their service will start to pick up as well.

Let me keep my devices and pay any etf and I'd switch back.
OrangeSVTguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 03:18 PM   #17
ownamac
macrumors member

Great to see a disruptor in the US carrier stranglehold.
ownamac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 03:18 PM   #18
JAT
macrumors 603

T-Mobile calls pink "magenta"?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 03:18 PM   #19
jclo
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSpikes View Post
"Earlier this month, AT&T also announced plans to offer up to $450 in credits for customers switching from the carrier to T-Mobile."

I think this is wrong, its supposed to say from T-Mobile to AT&T? right?
Yep, thanks for catching that. Fixed.
jclo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 03:19 PM   #20
darnovo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandoech.com View Post
Oh, I mis-read, I agree
Actually I think I misread... I'm an idiot... they give you 300$ for your phone and then an additional 350$ to switch. Gotcha. So 650$ total. Way better than when I thought but still I'd rather get 350$ to tell ATT goodbye and sell the phone on eBay
darnovo is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 03:19 PM   #21
viperGTS
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

They call it aggressive because T-Mobile pays $350 plus the value of your phone, up to $300. Almost $650 for switching. I think it's pretty aggressive.
viperGTS is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 03:21 PM   #22
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:

you still have to pay the AT&T ETF first to get it unlocked

this is not the best deal, but its pretty easy and not time consuming
alent1234 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 03:25 PM   #23
ltrebing
macrumors newbie

Uhm

The article from last Friday says this:

Quote:
AT&T today announced that it is offering up to $450 in credits for customers switching to the carrier from T-Mobile.
This here article says this:

Quote:
AT&T also announced plans to offer up to $450 in credits for customers switching from the carrier to T-Mobile.
The latter sounds far more funny but also rather unrealistic to me.
ltrebing is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 03:26 PM   #24
osofast240sx
macrumors 68000

Smack down !!!! Go T-Mobile !!
osofast240sx is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 03:26 PM   #25
Orlandoech.com
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Actually I think I misread... I'm an idiot... they give you 300$ for your phone and then an additional 350$ to switch. Gotcha. So 650$ total. Way better than when I thought but still I'd rather get 350$ to tell ATT goodbye and sell the phone on eBay
I agree, except tell VZ goodbye.
Orlandoech.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion