Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

schmidt65

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Has anyone ever seen this error before? Started a few months ago and now 99% of my music won't copy across to my iPod. I've reset my library, deleted and re-added all music, but still it won't copy. happens on both an iPod Classic 7th Gen & and iPod Nano 7th Gen. Error message appears in iTunes (latest version) on OSX Mavericks. All music is stored on an external NAS.

I'm at my wits end with it!

Any help appreciated.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Has anyone ever seen this error before? Started a few months ago and now 99% of my music won't copy across to my iPod. I've reset my library, deleted and re-added all music, but still it won't copy. happens on both an iPod Classic 7th Gen & and iPod Nano 7th Gen. Error message appears in iTunes (latest version) on OSX Mavericks. All music is stored on an external NAS.

I'm at my wits end with it!

Any help appreciated.

I don't know what you mean by "reset my library", but you can try to reset the iPod to factory conditions from within iTunes and try again. On the other hand, the problem might be your computer, so take your iPod to any other person with a Mac and a music library and see if it works there.

If that doesn't work, check how old the iPod is. Depending on age of the iPod and where you live, Apple may fix it under warranty, or you can try arguing with the store where you bought the iPod that it should have lasted longer and they should fix it (for example if you are in the EU and it is less than two years old), or you can pay for an "out of warranty" repair at Apple which basically means they will give you an identical refurbished iPod for around half the price of a new one.

schmidt65

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I don't know what you mean by "reset my library", but you can try to reset the iPod to factory conditions from within iTunes and try again. On the other hand, the problem might be your computer, so take your iPod to any other person with a Mac and a music library and see if it works there.

If that doesn't work, check how old the iPod is. Depending on age of the iPod and where you live, Apple may fix it under warranty, or you can try arguing with the store where you bought the iPod that it should have lasted longer and they should fix it (for example if you are in the EU and it is less than two years old), or you can pay for an "out of warranty" repair at Apple which basically means they will give you an identical refurbished iPod for around half the price of a new one.

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

I mean I've completely deleted my library and started a new one, added the music again and it stills fails.

However I have managed to get it to copy to the ipod IF the music is stored on the mac, however it fails to copy to the ipod if the music is stored on the NAS (connected via AFP, SMB1 or SMB2, it fails either way). So it looks to be another issue with the SMB NAS mess that Apple caused with Mavericks.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
However I have managed to get it to copy to the ipod IF the music is stored on the mac, however it fails to copy to the ipod if the music is stored on the NAS (connected via AFP, SMB1 or SMB2, it fails either way). So it looks to be another issue with the SMB NAS mess that Apple caused with Mavericks.

So on the positive side, your iPod seems to be fine. You should go to http://www.apple.com/feedback and tell them that this error message is wrong. If it fails because of the NAS drive, then the error message should say that. If it says "Attempting to copy to the disk iPod failed" then anyone would suspect something is wrong with the iPod, the iPod cables etc.

schmidt65

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Thanks for replies. 1 final thing I might try before putting the iPods up for sale, does anyone know of any good alternatives to iTunes for syncing music to an iPod classic? (and Nano if possible)

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.