Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Its not all open and shut as you may think:
http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/samsung-pre-iphone-designs.png

Samsung did have full screen phone designs before the iPhone.

Should Braun start suing Apple, due to very similar designs?
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/apple-design-doesnt-fall-far-from-brauns-tree-176668
http://www.cultofmac.com/188753/the-braun-products-that-inspired-apples-iconic-designs-gallery/

----------------

On balance, I'm thinking Samsung did overly copy Apple, i.e., the side by side comparison of Air vs Samsung device.

Regardless... this case has dragged itself long enough. The Court process is too slow, so mediation is a good alternative to find a faster resolution.

Part of the reason I sold my AAPL kinda recently: Samsung gets to rip Apple off without any significant punishment. Even if they got hit with the $1G bill, it wouldn't really matter. Not even necessarily patent infringement but careful copying, things that they'll get away with or won't take much of a penalty for in court. Meanwhile Apple gets its public image hurt when they sue.

"You can't patent the rectangle." Sorry for probably being the 1000th visitor to use this:

No way to prevent them from doing this. Some of it is just following a trend that Apple set, something that Apple has done to other companies. But I don't care about who's right and who's wrong, just who makes the money.

Someone on MR posted this earlier. I was shocked:

Last edited:

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
I'm not too worried because that's what Korean brands do. Hyundai for example sells cheap cars that copy designs. You can get a V6 Hyundai (stacked with gimmicks) for less than a base model V6 sold by most other brands. They perform poorly and break down easily but you get seemingly more for less.
100000000000000% untrue. I guess u never owned one. You get way more bang for your buck with a Hyundai that any other cars on the planet. This is coming from a BMW enthusiast.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
There's nothing bad about this - they should be trying to mediate instead of going to court whenever possible.

On the point of some of those pictures posted earlier - specifically the iPad vs Samsung's previous tablets.

Are people really that ignorant to not realize that technology changes. It's now much more economical and feasible to have thinner screens, chips, etc - so of course devices are going to take advantage and be thinner and adapt to user trends.

All companies take advantage of newest technologies. You can't compare a device from 1987 to 2014 (just an example) and claim that they are equiv.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto

While some of the comparisons definitely show influences in basic shapes and materials - and more, in the case of the calculator - I'll always ask myself how drunk someone has to be to compare the Braun speaker to the iMac. It's pretty bizarre...

Screen-Shot-2012-09-05-at-13.43.12.jpg

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
While some of the comparisons definitely show influences in basic shapes and materials - and more, in the case of the calculator - I'll always ask myself how drunk someone has to be to compare the Braun speaker to the iMac. It's pretty bizarre...

Its back to the basic fact that every company gets inspiration from others. Apple did not come up with its designs by living in a silo, they are influenced

That applies to Samsung, and any other company.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Part of the reason I sold my AAPL kinda recently: Samsung gets to rip Apple off without any significant punishment. Even if they got hit with the $1G bill, it wouldn't really matter. Not even necessarily patent infringement but careful copying, things that they'll get away with or won't take much of a penalty for in court. Meanwhile Apple gets its public image hurt when they sue.

"You can't patent the rectangle." Sorry for probably being the 1000th visitor to use this:

No way to prevent them from doing this. Some of it is just following a trend that Apple set, something that Apple has done to other companies. But I don't care about who's right and who's wrong, just who makes the money.

I am not shocked, this has been going on for awhile.

I just don't understand how this is not completely obvious to anyone that pays attention to this stuff.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/samsung-pre-iphone-designs.png

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/apple-design-doesnt-fall-far-from-brauns-tree-176668
http://www.cultofmac.com/188753/the-braun-products-that-inspired-apples-iconic-designs-gallery/

----------------

On balance, I'm thinking Samsung did overly copy Apple, i.e., the side by side comparison of Air vs Samsung device.

Regardless... this case has dragged itself long enough. The Court process is too slow, so mediation is a good alternative to find a faster resolution.

The links you offer as apple copying Samsung or Braun(laughable) really fall apart when you actually look at the pictures/timelines and fucntions of the so-called copied designs.

There is no doubt that Samsung copied the iPhone/iPad and even the mbp due to the popularity of the Apple products.

But this is nothing new since samsung did this same with BB, and even early windows phones, nokia etc. Long before Apple became a player in the smart phone arena.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
The links you offer as apple copying Samsung or Braun(laughable) really fall apart when you actually look at the pictures/timelines and fucntions of the so-called copied designs.

Then you misunderstand my point.

Never mind!

MonsieurA

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2014
Sadly, the public is starting to ignore what Apple is saying and just doesn't care anymore. They just want this to be over with, even if it means Apple doesn't get what it wants.

Um, "the public" doesn't care about this trial nor are they even in the loop about it. If you go around and ask people who have iPhones on the bus to tell them about this trial, most would not know or care to know what it's about. It's only on Apple sites that it seems like "everyone knows" and this huge big thing.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Actually, Samsung violating a contract will harm them more then the patent infringement. This time, Apple will use the contract as clear and simple evidence of Samsung's intentions rather than still complex patent rules.

That is one reason for Samsung not caring about settling down, the lawsuits would still be less risky and cheaper.

It depends on how it's worded. If there was any disagreement, it would be because Apple believe Samsung to be violating that clause (and cloning their products) while Samsung does not. There would have to be some kind of definition in there, but since it's confidential we don't know the exact terms.

Also, what remedies would be available to Apple, even if they prove breach of contract in such an event? They wouldn't be able to stop the infringement without firing up the patent lawsuits again (and starting from scratch). Fines don't mean anything when you're talking about massive, massively profitable companies such as Apple and Samsung.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
at this meeting, will the samesong CEO hand the Apple CEO the $1b dollar check for the last court battle they lost or did that check already go out in the mail? :D

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location

Cannot wait to see the galaxy watch or whatever the heck it is called to look like after Apple brings out their version.

Last edited:

kimovski

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
Macau
Wondering is anyone has read "Apple and Samsung CEOs Agree to Meditation Meeting in U.S. Patent Fight" like me at the first time. LOL :D

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
LOL Sums it up in pictures...
Samsung was a useless, poor quality, cheap Korean knock-off brand before they became the flagship Apple-copying phone/tablet brand.

Since copying Apple's design they have become THE flagship 'if you want to look like Apple but don't want to buy Apple' brand.

I'm not too worried because that's what Korean brands do. Hyundai for example sells cheap cars that copy designs. You can get a V6 Hyundai (stacked with gimmicks) for less than a base model V6 sold by most other brands. They perform poorly and break down easily but you get seemingly more for less.

Other brands with lesser market shares still survive and make more money. I'm confident Apple will continue to do so as long as they keep innovating.

It is annoying however, that others being able to copy without punishment can eat into their exclusive experience. It's sad seeing so many people bag out Apple when what they love is Apple's multi-touch phone experience. Credit where due...

Uh... wow, I think. That's a lot of heck of a lot of hyperbole contained in one post. I think consensus says the Galaxy S was a pretty blatant copy. But I would say more of their success came from that crap ton of cash they threw into marketing. Now their products are more differentiated, with a noticeable exception of the Ultrabooks. Samsung, along with every other vendor seems to use the MBA as a reference for the look and feel of their products - ultrabooks. Google "Laptops that look like the MacBook Air". But this is phones and tablets. No one's products look like Apple's anymore.

As usual with us on MacRumors, your car analogy fails spectacularly. But that's okay. We know what we know, the rest is just window dressing.

----------

Pretty much every Ultrabook looks like an MBA. Google "Laptops that look like a MacBook Air". For better or worse, the MBA is the reference.

i4m

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
Samsung HAS changed, they are now copying Windows 8
:D

Windows 8, sure but what about the hardware?

----------

Samsung is very innovative (at copying off Apple)

----------

Hey, look at me, I'm an Apple fan boy! ;) ;)

Save the name-calling.. Can't a person agree that Apple is being ripped-off without being called names?

----------

----------------

1. How does one decide that the case has dragged itself long enough?
2. What would make one think that mediation will work this time?

----------

Its back to the basic fact that every company gets inspiration from others. Apple did not come up with its designs by living in a silo, they are influenced

That applies to Samsung, and any other company.

There is inspiration, then there is blatant copying.

------------------------------------------------
Let's just say, in the world of patents, inspiration is not a virtue..

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Actually, Hyundai has risen way up the reliability and performance ladder with most of their models. I guess they copied that part, too. The magic reliability changeover occurred around 2003, it was really quite dramatic, considering how entirely crappy their cars were before then.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Actually, Hyundai has risen way up the reliability and performance ladder with most of their models. I guess they copied that part, too. The magic reliability changeover occurred around 2003, it was really quite dramatic, considering how entirely crappy their cars were before then.

Korean gear has definitely improved... but it has gone from being dangerously poor quality to slightly below average quality. I remember renting a Hyundai Excel while on holidays in 1996... the car had done less than 10,000km and was already falling apart. Recently I test-drove an i30... it's no Toyota (felt flimsy/handled poorly), but at least it wasn't falling apart in the showroom.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Really? Is this the new key card for this year? No 'fanboy', no admission? Wow! Keep on asking dude :rolleyes:

*sigh*

As has always been the case with Apple... it's such a polarizing company that not only the fans care about it, but everybody else does too.

Example... the forums for my footy team aren't strictly for fans (anybody can join) but who else cares about the team's rumours/performance? We won the premiership in 2013 so a lot of people from other teams get jelly and post BS (just like fandroids do when Apple is making the best phones/laptops).

You can't ban these guys from either forum, but just saying... if you go to an Apple rumours site, you can probably expect there to be a lot of Apple fanboys lurking around. Other examples:
- Go to a heavy metal club... there will probably be a lot of guys hanging around in black shirts who love heavy metal. You can go there and tell them you love Hanson + metal heads s*ck. Good luck!
- You can wear your favourite footy team's gear in the opposition's stands and stand around cheering for them, nobody will stop you! BUT... why?
- You're welcome to attend a republican meeting in Texas wearing a t-shirt with Che Guevara's face on it and a few pro-marxism flags... great place to discuss marxism.

Get my point? It's a free world... nobody's stopping Fandroids from going to applerumors.com BUT I would suggest that there are better forums if you don't like Apple gear and would prefer to discuss Fandroid OS/Chromebooks.

I'm proudly an Apple fanboy, not sure why you were so surprised that there's a lot of us here at applerumors.com.

GoodWatch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2007
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
*sigh*

As has always been the case with Apple... it's such a polarizing company that not only the fans care about it, but everybody else does too.

Example... the forums for my footy team aren't strictly for fans (anybody can join) but who else cares about the team's rumours/performance? We won the premiership in 2013 so a lot of people from other teams get jelly and post BS (just like fandroids do when Apple is making the best phones/laptops).

You can't ban these guys from either forum, but just saying... if you go to an Apple rumours site, you can probably expect there to be a lot of Apple fanboys lurking around. Other examples:
- Go to a heavy metal club... there will probably be a lot of guys hanging around in black shirts who love heavy metal. You can go there and tell them you love Hanson + metal heads s*ck. Good luck!
- You can wear your favourite footy team's gear in the opposition's stands and stand around cheering for them, nobody will stop you! BUT... why?
- You're welcome to attend a republican meeting in Texas wearing a t-shirt with Che Guevara's face on it and a few pro-marxism flags... great place to discuss marxism.

Get my point? It's a free world... nobody's stopping Fandroids from going to applerumors.com BUT I would suggest that there are better forums if you don't like Apple gear and would prefer to discuss Fandroid OS/Chromebooks.

I'm proudly an Apple fanboy, not sure why you were so surprised that there's a lot of us here at applerumors.com.

You assume a lot but know little about me. And with that you make my point perfectly. Do you really think I joined 7 years ago so now I can pose as an Apple fan (less 'boy') but in reality I'm a 'fandroid'? Did you bother to read the remark I was responding to? It's remarks like that, that make people who really care about Apple products look bad. Blindly firing off silly statements about who is currently the flavour of the day in 'fanboy' land. Just to gain brownie points. That sir, just puts a lot of salt in my coffee. You can sigh all you want but you couldn't be more wrong about me in a thousand years. Peace out.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
100000000000000% untrue. I guess u never owned one. You get way more bang for your buck with a Hyundai that any other cars on the planet. This is coming from a BMW enthusiast.

I never said people didn't get a bang for their buck with Hyundais. You'll get a car with similar styling/specs (and more gimmicks/gadgets) than a Toyota for $10,000 less EASILY. BUT like Samsung... I don't think the quality/engineering is there.

Korean goods have come a long way, but they're nothing like Japanese brands and the good American brands.

My analogy stands. Hyundai... an i40 will sell for $10,000 less than a Camry. You'll get a V6, leather seats, alloy rims, electric everything, android/iPhone connectivity...etc great bang for your buck! Samsung... you'll pay $200 less than an iPhone but get a quad-core CPU, more RAM, a bigger HD...etc again a decent bang for your buck.

Difference? In both situations the Korean brand is less reliable, less refined and of a much poorer build quality BUT in terms of features/gimmicks you'll probably get a better bang for your buck.

I have a Samsung fridge that I got for $300... it's the same size as $1000 competitors and has similar features. Decent bang for my buck (good balance of price/features), but that doesn't make it the best fridge in its range. There are better fridges out there that cost more and if I could afford one, I'd get it.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
You assume a lot but know little about me. And with that you make my point perfectly. Do you really think I joined 7 years ago so now I can pose as an Apple fan (less 'boy') but in reality I'm a 'fandroid'? Did you bother to read the remark I was responding to? It's remarks like that, that make people who really care about Apple products look bad. Blindly firing off silly statements about who is currently the flavour of the day in 'fanboy' land. Just to gain brownie points. That sir, just puts a lot of salt in my coffee. You can sigh all you want but you couldn't be more wrong about me in a thousand years. Peace out.

*sigh*

What is your point then? Chronology...
1) You complained that somebody was a fanboy.
2) I told you there's probably going to be a bunch of fanboys around an Apple rumors site... live with it.
3) You complained that you didn't need to be a fan to enter this forum and reserved the right to not be a fan.
4) I told you that I'm cool with that, but if you're not a big fan of Apple then there's possibly better places to be.
5) You had a big whinge that I'm 'blindly firing off silly statements' in order to 'gain brownie points'.

You conclude that I 'couldn't be more wrong about me in a thousand years'. Again I'm sorry for assuming that there's a lot of Apple fanboys floating around an Apple rumours site. I guess it will take me 1000 years to figure out why that assumption is wrong, until then peace and love my brother ;)

GoodWatch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2007
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
*sigh*

What is your point then? Chronology...
1) You complained that somebody was a fanboy.
2) I told you there's probably going to be a bunch of fanboys around an Apple rumors site... live with it.
3) You complained that you didn't need to be a fan to enter this forum and reserved the right to not be a fan.
4) I told you that I'm cool with that, but if you're not a big fan of Apple then there's possibly better places to be.
5) You had a big whinge that I'm 'blindly firing off silly statements' in order to 'gain brownie points'.

You conclude that I 'couldn't be more wrong about me in a thousand years'. Again I'm sorry for assuming that there's a lot of Apple fanboys floating around an Apple rumours site. I guess it will take me 1000 years to figure out why that assumption is wrong, until then peace and love my brother ;)

You really don't get it, do you? And you really need a lot of words to show that. Don't bother to reply, I'm just a dumb guy using Apple products since 1982.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
I never said people didn't get a bang for their buck with Hyundais. You'll get a car with similar styling/specs (and more gimmicks/gadgets) than a Toyota for $10,000 less EASILY. BUT like Samsung... I don't think the quality/engineering is there.

Korean goods have come a long way, but they're nothing like Japanese brands and the good American brands.

My analogy stands. Hyundai... an i40 will sell for $10,000 less than a Camry. You'll get a V6, leather seats, alloy rims, electric everything, android/iPhone connectivity...etc great bang for your buck! Samsung... you'll pay $200 less than an iPhone but get a quad-core CPU, more RAM, a bigger HD...etc again a decent bang for your buck.

Difference? In both situations the Korean brand is less reliable, less refined and of a much poorer build quality BUT in terms of features/gimmicks you'll probably get a better bang for your buck.

I have a Samsung fridge that I got for $300... it's the same size as $1000 competitors and has similar features. Decent bang for my buck (good balance of price/features), but that doesn't make it the best fridge in its range. There are better fridges out there that cost more and if I could afford one, I'd get it.
As for Hyundai I can speak from experience can you? They are built just as well as Toyota if not better. And what gimmicks are you talking about?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.