Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott M

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
Why is the transparency level different on the iPhone 5s/5 compared to on the iPhone 4s/4?

For example, say, in the settings menu:

On the iPhone 5s/5, the top bit is slightly transparent. You can see the colours flashing by behind the bar as the icons scroll up or down.

However, on the display iPhone 4s I saw in Tesco, in the settings menu, not only is the top bar slightly transparent, but the whole screen is transparent. You can actually slightly see the icons/wallpaper on your home page. I really liked this look and wish that I could replicate it on my iPhone 5s.

Has it been done on purpose?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Why is the transparency level different on the iPhone 5s/5 compared to on the iPhone 4s/4?

For example, say, in the settings menu:

On the iPhone 5s/5, the top bit is slightly transparent. You can see the colours flashing by behind the bar as the icons scroll up or down.

However, on the display iPhone 4s I saw in Tesco, in the settings menu, not only is the top bar slightly transparent, but the whole screen is transparent. You can actually slightly see the icons/wallpaper on your home page. I really liked this look and wish that I could replicate it on my iPhone 5s.

Has it been done on purpose?

Settings>General>Accessiblity, make sure Increase Contrast is turned off.

Apps themselves are not transparent. If you're talking about the Settings app, only the top bar where it says Settings will be slightly transparent.

Otherwise, things like Notification Center and Control Center should show a good bit of transparency.

Maybe the 4S you saw was jailbroken.

MinEderPlayz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
This is not possible in iOS 7. The only places which have subtle transparencies in the background of apps are Phone and FaceTime (the latter showing a blurry image of your front facing camera).

Scott M

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
Well, it is possible because I saw it with my own eyes.

Perhaps the phone was faulty? Don't see how, though.

I need to have another look, but from what I can remember, the grey bits in between the separated sections inside the settings app was where I was seeing the transparency.

----------

Settings>General>Accessiblity, make sure Increase Contrast is turned off.

Apps themselves are not transparent. If you're talking about the Settings app, only the top bar where it says Settings will be slightly transparent.

Otherwise, things like Notification Center and Control Center should show a good bit of transparency.

Maybe the 4S you saw was jailbroken.

It was a display model in Tesco.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Well, it is possible because I saw it with my own eyes.

Perhaps the phone was faulty? Don't see how, though.

I need to have another look, but from what I can remember, the grey bits in between the separated sections inside the settings app was where I was seeing the transparency.

----------

It was a display model in Tesco.

Unless the display of the device was faulty, that's not possible. It definitely isn't intended to happen, and no one's ever posted anything about seeing that fault here..not doubting your eyes, just saying if it happened it's a fault and the only known case of it.

Scott M

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
Unless the display of the device was faulty, that's not possible. It definitely isn't intended to happen, and no one's ever posted anything about seeing that fault here..not doubting your eyes, just saying if it happened it's a fault and the only known case of it.

It's a strange fault to be fair. I mean, I wonder how it happened? It looked really good, though.

I will check out my girlfriend's nephew's iPhone 4s at some point and see if I can see the same thing on there.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
It's a strange fault to be fair. I mean, I wonder how it happened? It looked really good, though.

I will check out my girlfriend's nephew's iPhone 4s at some point and see if I can see the same thing on there.

There is transparency in settings (and other apps) but only in the top header/menu bar, right under battery, carrier, time, etc..AKA on the main page of settings where it says Settings, or the header of whichever page you are on. Other than that, there is no transparency in Settings.

Scott M

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
There is transparency in settings (and other apps) but only in the top header/menu bar, right under battery, carrier, time, etc..AKA on the main page of settings where it says Settings, or the header of whichever page you are on. Other than that, there is no transparency in Settings.

I know all this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.