Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

U.K. based company NueVue introduced its line of cases for the iPhone, iPad, and iPad mini at CES 2014, which contain screen-cleaning properties and eliminate up to 99% of bacteria on a device's surface. The cases themselves come in cotton twill, leather, and canvas variants lined with antimicrobial microfibers licensed from medical company BioCote, and are also anti-static and shock resistant.

nuevue_cases.jpg
Introducing NueVue, a unique and long overdue concept in smartphone and tablet cases. More than just a fun and stylish way to protect your phone or tablet, NueVue cases clean the screen and offer antimicrobial protection, every time you remove the device. Not only is a cleaner screen easier on your eyes, your device stays looking like new - longer.
The introduction of the cases comes as Apple glass supplier Corning announced an antimicrobial version of its Gorilla Glass earlier this week, which incorporate ionic silver into the glass to inhibit growth of bacteria. NueVue's cases will sell for $49.99 in a variety colors and are expected to be available soon.

Article Link: CES 2014: NueVue Introduces Antimicrobial Cases for iOS Devices

tsadi

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2011
I like it bare with screen protector. Not a lot of hiding place for bacteria with that setup I hope.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Is it me or has CES become a big bore? I see posts like this and think is this really what CES is about now? It seems the nature of the tech industry has changed to the point CES like other big trade shows is obsolete b/c

1) Big companies more frequently host their own private product announcements when product is ready, not when January rolls around, and sites like Verge, Gizmodo, and Engaget are more than happy to supply the publicity.

2) Smaller companies and entrepreneurs with ideas go to crowd source funding to debut product concepts, relying less on retail buyers as a first step.

That leaves CES with big TV (but small viewable content), souped up appliances with smartphone connectivity. (Oooh! I forgot to turn the washing machine on... let me launch the app!), and, yes, more overpriced iDevice cases.

Berserker-UK

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
Berkshire, UK
People read books in the bathroom, so I imagine they read iBooks in the bathroom too.

Bleaching an iPad probably wouldn't work so well, though it might help with those moisture sensors.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
No case for the ipad air as far as i can see. Why do all case makers seem to think ipad air owners are happy to settle for an ipad case, its too wide!! Impossible to find a decent case/sleeve for the air.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
People read books in the bathroom, so I imagine they read iBooks in the bathroom too.

Bleaching an iPad probably wouldn't work so well, though it might help with those moisture sensors.

Hands up, who's reading Macrumors in the can right now?

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I really think all these antibacterial things are a bad idea. There is a reason we now have antibiotic-resistant superbugs beginning to circulate.

curmudgeon32

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
I really think all these antibacterial things are a bad idea. There is a reason we now have antibiotic-resistant superbugs beginning to circulate.
Yep. We're breeding them so the "1%" that survive that "99%" of microbes killed are the ones who reproduce. Score one for parnoia marketers, zero for the rest of us.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
It's so weird that this seems to be coming to tech. First anti-microbial glass and now cases.

All this while the FDA is challenging all products that are anti-bacterial to demonstrate that there is any benefit at all, since there currently is no real science to back up the claims that they make.

Edit: here's a link in case someone's curious about the FDA http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/16/health/fda-antibacterial/

----------

Yep. We're breeding them so the "1%" that survive that "99%" of microbes killed are the ones who reproduce. Score one for parnoia marketers, zero for the rest of us.

From the FDA on Soap:"Millions of Americans use antibacterial hand soap and body wash products," the agency said in a statement. "Although consumers generally view these products as effective tools to help prevent the spread of germs, there is currently no evidence that they are any more effective at preventing illness than washing with plain soap and water.

Further, some data suggest that long-term exposure to certain active ingredients used in antibacterial products -- for example, triclosan (liquid soaps) and triclocarban (bar soaps) -- could pose health risks, such as bacterial resistance or hormonal effects."

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
This is BS. If you're worried about bacteria on your tech, do yourself a favor and wash your hands.

When I was in high school, we had this discussion with our English teacher one day about how she was so disgusted that most of the girls who went to the bathroom while she was in there too, did not bother to wash up after doing their business.

Most people don't do it because they think it's a waste of time, especially when you have to do the whole getting your hands wet, putting soap, washing them, and then drying them off. Well, a few years ago I heard on a BBC newscast that they did research and just putting your hands under water for a few seconds is just as good. So you really have no excuse not to just do that.

Stuff like this just drains your wallet. There's absolutely no benefit to it. And even though the bacteria won't get into the leather/cotton/canvas, you know what will? The sweat from your hands, which is far worse.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
This is BS. If you're worried about bacteria on your tech, do yourself a favor and wash your hands.

When I was in high school, we had this discussion with our English teacher one day about how she was so disgusted that most of the girls who went to the bathroom while she was in there too, did not bother to wash up after doing their business.

Most people don't do it because they think it's a waste of time, especially when you have to do the whole getting your hands wet, putting soap, washing them, and then drying them off. Well, a few years ago I heard on a BBC newscast that they did research and just putting your hands under water for a few seconds is just as good. So you really have no excuse not to just do that.

Stuff like this just drains your wallet. There's absolutely no benefit to it. And even though the bacteria won't get into the leather/cotton/canvas, you know what will? The sweat from your hands, which is far worse.

Not just no benefit, The FDA is requiring the people that make the antibacteria product to provide proof that it's doing more good than harm. If they can't substantiate it, they will ban the ingredient. It's been proven that soap and water will kill germs and bacteria just as well. Also it does not kill viruses so you are still likely to get a cold when using it, which is pretty much the reason people use anti-bacterial products.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area

"Hmmmm..I just used my hand to flush a toilet in a public bathroom. Now let me just walk out because it is a terrible incovienence to wash my hands"...Who would ever do that? When I go into a public restroom I don't touch ANYTHING. And I wash my hands EVERY time. And once I wash, I use the paper towel that Im drying my hands with to open the door. I have a whole ritual...Don't ask. But that's because public bathrooms are just plain disgusting.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
"...up to 99%..." Whatever that means.

They can't promise 100% because if they did and someone got sick, they'd get sued. Leaves them an out.

----------

I can't see the benefit. So my phone is (up to) 99% germ free, but EVERYTHING else I come in contact with is not.

You don't put everything to your face and by your nose, eyes, and mouth.

Not a good way to look at it anyways. "Everything is already covered in germs so why wash my hands after taking a poop."

adamneer

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2013
Chicago, IL
Hands up, who's reading Macrumors in the can right now?

oh great, now i just dropped my iPad on the bathroom floor.

----------

They can't promise 100% because if they did and someone got sick, they'd get sued. Leaves them an out.

----------

You don't put everything to your face and by your nose, eyes, and mouth.

Not a good way to look at it anyways. "Everything is already covered in germs so why wash my hands after taking a poop."

its not just things that you put up to your face that transmit bacteria/disease/virus/plagues, its the act of touching something infected and then using the same unwashed hands to touch your face or food. both of you are sort of correct. having an antibacterial case is probably not going to decrease your chance of illness by nearly the amount that would make this case worthwhile, but then again, if you never wash your hands, nothing will.

mypins

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2010
99% refers to a log value in microbiology studies. 90% is 1 log, 99% is 2 logs, 99.9% is 3 logs and so on. A log reduces the bacteria count 10-fold. Which means if 1,000 bacteria are on 1 square inch of a surface, you can expect a 2-log reduction that will still leave 10 bacteria on the same area. 99% has nothing to do with infection rates, sickness or anything other than how many bugs will be reduced on the surface over time. It could be 99% over 2 hours. And who knows exactly what germs will be reduced! Without real data, the claims cannot be justified.

Now that you passed micro 101, just wash your hands. Much of these antimicrobial claims for products like these don't mean anything other than marketing hype. That's why the FDA is cracking down on many companies. There are some good antimicrobial products out there but this case may not be one of them. Unless of course the case company wants to share their data.

Last edited:

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011

This isn't really a concern in this case. This kind of system employs physical ways to kill germs (copper, silver nanoparticles, etc), while the issue of super bugs has risen due to the use of antibiotics. Even if it were possible, resistance to physical ways to kill bacteria would have no effect on resistance against antibiotics.

That's one reason why surgery centers clean equipment using high temperatures, yet we get no surge of resistant bacteria from there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.