Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
They definitely need a better way of describing that thing. I have no clue how it works? Should I think Magic Trackpad, or more iPod click wheel?

It's just another input device. You can make it do just about literally anything you want--press a mouse button, press a keystroke, do some action (volume, run AppleScript, etc--the latter of which is very powerful). They can be global actions or app-specific ones. Actions can be triggered by doing one of the six recognized "moves" on the PowerMate: press, long press, turn left, turn right, press/hold and turn left, or press/hold and turn right. Does that explain it better?

Remind me again – why is a mouse so desperately uncool?

See above. This is not a mouse replacement. I find it better at replacing things I'd otherwise use a keyboard to do, but you can use it for lots of things.

Mine doesn't [work with new OS X versions] :( Around the update to OSX Leopard, it stopped recognizing the PowerMate and a subsequent update to the Griffin software didn't help. I wonder if this new software will be compatible with the old PowerMate....

Mine was fine until Mavericks, at which point they declared that it was not compatible and they were looking into it. It actually worked decently well except that turns and presses were translated into mouse movements and clicks in addition to the configured PowerMate action. Long press also stopped working for me.

They released an update a few weeks ago that was supposed to address Mavericks compatibility. Unfortunately, for me, it did not work. It did fix the problem of turns and presses registering as mouse events, but it did not fix the fact that long press does not work, and I'm not sure if press-and-turn is also broken or if it's just me (it's always been a bit hard to use that action). Glad to know I'm not alone. Hopefully they can fix these problems.

I'll be getting this wireless version to control my Philips Hue lights and as a master volume for my home audio.

That is exactly what I'm doing with the wired version. It was a little complicated to set up. First, I had to write a Python script that could take in some command-line parameters (room, desired change: color temp, on/off, brightness, etc.) and send commands to the Hue bridge accordingly. Then, originally, I used QuickSilver to map function keys and modifier+function keys to these various actions. When I realized a wall-mounted keyboard wasn't going to make the best light switch, a friend suggested the PowerMate. I now use the PowerMate software to send events to my Hue bridge (still via the Python code) thanks to its "Run AppleScript" feature, where I can directly type a bit of AppleScript that will call my Python program with the right parameters.

To add even more complications, the PowerMate is (well, was) USB, and I don't have a computer sitting within 16 feet (maximum USB cable length without hubs or active repeaters) of every place in my home where I'd want a light switch. So I also had to use a few active repeater cables (and one hub) to extend USB connections from my Mac mini server (which I decided to use for this purpose) to two different rooms, then attach the PowerMate to them. I also had to get some surface-mounted cable channels to hide the cords since I wanted it to look neat and I can't put them in-wall where I live.

As I was doing this, I was thinking how much simpler it might be if they had a Bluetooth version. If only this had been announced a few months ago before I did all this. :)

Or, of course, Philips could make a compatible light switch, maybe one that's surface-mountable, battery powered, and wireless so it's easy for anyone to use--though as-is, they don't even have a permanant-installation option. Either one might have saved me from the above. It's really inconvenient to use an app every time you want to change your lights, and while actual physical switch still works, the bulbs don't remember their last setting, and you of course lose the remote-control ability.

PS - If you find an easier way, let me know. :) (My other thoughts including building my own with Arduino, or figure something out with a Raspberry Pi or similar, though I guess I'd still need cables for at least power if not networking with either of those two as well.)

claud9999

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2007
You can LITERALLY automate every single thing you can possibly think of to a keystroke, with either Alfred or BetterTouchTool, then map that keystroke to any of the functions of the PowerMate.

I'd much rather this act more like a scroll wheel than a keyboard. Acceleration, momentum would both be keen but, as you point out, the software only maps to keystrokes and while it does change the frequency depending on how quickly you spin, it's nothing like a scroll wheel.

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
The old version of this was in the movie "The Island"

there was also one in Pacific Rim...

tumblr_mu1tudypRq1qzkdnwo4_250.gif

i wish Griffin still made the black version.... that was sharp.

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2012
work with iOS devices?

Since this is bluetooth, anybody think it'll work with iphone or ipad?

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
It would be great if it could be used to turn on the Mac, as was possible years ago.

westrock2000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
I also have the original one and came up with a unique application for it.

I setup a TV above the fireplace and connected a computer to it. I used double sided tape and and affixed the PowerMate to the wall. I then had a Perl script that would periodically generate a random playlist of kids tv shows on the local server.

Pressing on the PowerMate would start VLC in full screen. And the wheel turns would go forward or back.

So it was a way for my 3 year old to watch stuff and "change the channel" when he wanted to.

It was fun to figure out and set up.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Since this is bluetooth, anybody think it'll work with iphone or ipad?

Probably not. As is, it seems to interface with the computer as an HID device (like a mouse or computer), but it seems to lean more towards the mouse side of things--or at least that's what I'm guessing based on the Mavericks problems.

Any special functions (e.g., mapping an action on the PowerMate to a key press) are entirely a product of the PowerMate software running on the computer. They are not stored in the PowerMate itself. Since Bluetooth mice don't work with iOS and because I don't think there'd even be a way for Griffin to get the PowerMate software to work on iOS (and the software seems necessary to do the "translation" between device inputs and desired actions), I wouldn't count on this being possible.

Nor am I sure what you think it would be useful for, but I guess I'm always amazed by the uses people find for these (myself included: controlling my light bulbs, as described above).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.